Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Columbus North vs Columbus East Rivalry

27 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

You’re not joking. It’s a shame.

It seems to really be a matter of athletes.  Just don’t have the Johnny’s and Joe’s that used to be in Columbus.  North has definitely gotten the best of the 10th-12th grade athletes but doesn’t look like they have developed much.  East might have the athletic edge in the 9th grade class though.

One would have thought that with the success the East program has experienced kids would gravitate towards that football program, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.  The north folks continue to sell their football program somehow despite having a near zero chance of ever winning a sectional.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

It seems to really be a matter of athletes.  Just don’t have the Johnny’s and Joe’s that used to be in Columbus.  North has definitely gotten the best of the 10th-12th grade athletes but doesn’t look like they have developed much.  East might have the athletic edge in the 9th grade class though.

One would have thought that with the success the East program has experienced kids would gravitate towards that football program, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.  The north folks continue to sell their football program somehow despite having a near zero chance of ever winning a sectional.

North just has a better reputation and feels like they’re the preferred school in the city because it’s direct descendant of the original Columbus High School.

Also, North seems like they take sports more seriously across the board. Everything is nicer and they have so much more success than East.

In regards to football, I think the loss of Gaddis really hurt East’s reputation as a “football school”.

27 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

North just has a better reputation and feels like they’re the preferred school in the city because it’s direct descendant of the original Columbus High School.

Also, North seems like they take sports more seriously across the board. Everything is nicer and they have so much more success than East.

In regards to football, I think the loss of Gaddis really hurt East’s reputation as a “football school”.

I agree with all of that.

From many accounts the new principal at East might be changing the atmosphere there, time will tell. 

Hoping for an injury free competitive game tomorrow!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I agree with all of that.

From many accounts the new principal at East might be changing the atmosphere there, time will tell. 

Hoping for an injury free competitive game tomorrow!

Boy I sure hope so. The previous guy was a real nice guy but he really killed the school spirit by not letting the student section ever do anything. I got sick and tired of other student sections showing ours up. Ours was quieter than a funeral parlor.

11 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I believe that you are right in that there isn't the population in Columbus to support two great teams.  There will be waves of good players back and forth from each school.  You will recognize some "Johnny's and Joe's" from North's squad for the next few years.  They have some young studs that are already getting college offers.  Many of them have been playing together in 7v7 and going to showcases for several years now.

Something else that North has and East doesn't is a schedule with tougher opponents.  North kids have the opportunity to play bigger games with more scouts.  I'll have to get the number from a friend of mine but the amount of North kids that have gone on to play football in college is definitely lopsided compared to the school from across town.  That is another attraction point for athletes that are interested in playing at the next level.

1 hour ago, Bulldog15 said:

I believe that you are right in that there isn't the population in Columbus to support two great teams.  There will be waves of good players back and forth from each school.  You will recognize some "Johnny's and Joe's" from North's squad for the next few years.  They have some young studs that are already getting college offers.  Many of them have been playing together in 7v7 and going to showcases for several years now.

Something else that North has and East doesn't is a schedule with tougher opponents.  North kids have the opportunity to play bigger games with more scouts.  I'll have to get the number from a friend of mine but the amount of North kids that have gone on to play football in college is definitely lopsided compared to the school from across town.  That is another attraction point for athletes that are interested in playing at the next level.

North definitely has more kids that go on to play college football. Ironically, though, East always seems to get the premiere players that draw statewide attention. Blair Kiel, Stevie Brown, Gunner Kiel, Markell Jones, etc. It’s funny how it works out because you’d think North would get one of those players just by the large number of college football players they produce.

Is there any sport East attracts more than North in besides wrestling? North is a very solid program but hard to argue with the collegiate wrestlers coming out of East in the last decade. 

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

North definitely has more kids that go on to play college football. Ironically, though, East always seems to get the premiere players that draw statewide attention. Blair Kiel, Stevie Brown, Gunner Kiel, Markell Jones, etc. It’s funny how it works out because you’d think North would get one of those players just by the large number of college football players they produce.

Those guys played like 10+ years ago.  It's kind of like a pendulum as far as the talent going back and forth.  The past 5 years has been pretty strong in North's favor.  As mentioned above, East most likely got the better recruiting class for 2027 and seems that the same will go for 2028 from what I hear.

1 hour ago, Panther25 said:

Is there any sport East attracts more than North in besides wrestling? North is a very solid program but hard to argue with the collegiate wrestlers coming out of East in the last decade. 

Volleyball is pretty heavy in East's favor.  I think baseball is pretty well split from time to time.  Probably depends on groups of kids that have grown up playing together?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bulldog15 said:

Those guys played like 10+ years ago.  It's kind of like a pendulum as far as the talent going back and forth.  The past 5 years has been pretty strong in North's favor.  As mentioned above, East most likely got the better recruiting class for 2027 and seems that the same will go for 2028 from what I hear.

I know those guys played 10+ years ago. Just saying it’s strange to me that North hasn’t had any stud football players based on the amount of college football players they produce. That’s not a knock either. When you rattle off big name Columbus football players, the top names are always East kids. It’s just surprising to me when you consider the situation.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

3 hours ago, Bulldog15 said:

Columbus North leans on “we are a 6A school”, and “we play big boy football”.  They have 1 6A team on their schedule and it’s Southport who hasn’t won a game in over 2 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bulldog15 said:

North kids have the opportunity to play bigger games with more scouts.

This sounds like something that youth coaches tell parents who really either aren’t in the know or aren’t very smart.

What “big game” does North play in that attracts scouts?  State Finals?  Semi-state?  A kid has a far better chance playing meaningful tournament games at East than they will ever play at North.  

18 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Saturday looks to be a little better temp wise for the lower level games.

Football has really fallen off in Columbus from where it was 5-6 years ago.  

My wife is the North trainer and is 6 months pregnant. My reason for wanting the games out of the heat, as much as possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

This sounds like something that youth coaches tell parents who really either aren’t in the know or aren’t very smart.

What “big game” does North play in that attracts scouts?  State Finals?  Semi-state?  A kid has a far better chance playing meaningful tournament games at East than they will ever play at North.  

I never once mentioned 6A in the post you are referring to.  I only said our schedule is tougher, and it is.  There are scouts at nearly every game because of the level of kids we are playing.  Look at our schedule and compare it to East's schedule.  HHC is weak as water, so what if you are the top of that conference (and East isn't anymore)?

Southport is 6A but far from the level of competition of other schools on our schedule.  Sounds like you are still stuck in the glory days.  Napoleon Dynamite wants his steak back uncle Rico. But if you would like to go to the way back machine, I do believe the Bulldogs beat the East 2017 state championship team. 😄

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

My wife is the North trainer and is 6 months pregnant. My reason for wanting the games out of the heat, as much as possible. 

Kate is awesome!  She's helped my kid get back on track several times.  She's helped countless others.  North has always had excellent trainer's since we have been there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bulldog15 said:

I never once mentioned 6A in the post you are referring to.  I only said our schedule is tougher, and it is.  There are scouts at nearly every game because of the level of kids we are playing.  Look at our schedule and compare it to East's schedule.  HHC is weak as water, so what if you are the top of that conference (and East isn't anymore)?

Southport is 6A but far from the level of competition of other schools on our schedule.  Sounds like you are still stuck in the glory days.  Napoleon Dynamite wants his steak back uncle Rico. But if you would like to go to the way back machine, I do believe the Bulldogs beat the East 2017 state championship team. 😄

Kate is awesome!  She's helped my kid get back on track several times.  She's helped countless others.  North has always had excellent trainer's since we have been there.

To be fair, that East team would’ve beaten North in the postseason that year. We got off to a slow start and even Terre Haute North’s coach was surprised at how much better we’d gotten. (We played them at regionals.) They had studied film of East’s game against North and he thought they had a good shot to win because they played North tight earlier in the season.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

2 hours ago, Bulldog15 said:

I appreciate the kind words. She is most definitely the definition of my "better half."

On 8/26/2023 at 12:34 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

If not for East’s 35-31 win in 2020, this would’ve been North’s eighth straight win in the series. Pretty one-sided lately.

East has not scored a TD the past 3 years.  The six points East scored last year was two field goals.  Our JV defense were playing and they could not score on us.  

Our JV won 20-0 so it's going to be a long few years.  In the freshman game, East won 14-0 so there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel.  However, taking multiple beat downs like that for a few years can make kids and family question their allegiance to a program. 

East has not scored a TD the past 3 years.  The six points East scored last year was two field goals.  Our JV defense were playing and they could not score on us.  

Our JV won 20-0 so it's going to be a long few years.  In the freshman game, East won 14-0 so there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel.  However, taking multiple beat downs like that for a few years can make kids and family question their allegiance to a program. 

Central/East has a good mix with the current 8/frosh classes. All of course based on what I saw last year in MS. I’m not one that gets excited about youth players, but with QB’s they have some intangibles that can’t really be coached, easy to spot in MS. Last years 7th grade QB at Central is going to be a stud.