Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Belichick's Rulebook Loop Hole

EricFeller

Question

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-belichick-smile-penalty-loophole-jets-2019-10

I meant to post this when it happened a few weeks but I'm surprised more people in HS haven't tried this.  Video of the exchange is in the article. 

Wanting to use every second of the clock and also give his punter a bit more room to work with, Belichick took a delay of game penalty. Jets head coach Adam Gase declined the penalty, giving the Patriots a fresh play clock and importantly, keeping the game clock rolling.

As the play clock ticked towards zero, Belichick had one of his lineman intentionally false start, thus giving the Patriots another penalty that the Jets elected to decline. Once again, the Patriots got a fresh play clock, and the game clock rolled on.

The false start was an especially crafty move on Belichick's part, as taking two consecutive delay-of-game penalties would have resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Patriots, which would have automatically brought a clock stoppage.

By the time the Patriots finally punted, 90 seconds had come off the clock, and Belichick offered a smirk that is about as happy as you'll see him all season.

Edited by EricFeller

6 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, EricFeller said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-belichick-smile-penalty-loophole-jets-2019-10

I meant to post this when it happened a few weeks but I'm surprised more people in HS haven't tried this.  Video of the exchange is in the article. 

This should never happen in high school. We have 2 rules that prevent it.

First, inside 2 min. remaining in either half, if the game clock is running and there’s a foul, the offended team can elect to have the game clock next started on the snap, not the ready for play signal.  Rule 3-4-7

Also, the Referee has the authority to order the clock started or stopped, at his discretion, if a team is attempting to illegally conserve or consume time. Rule 3-4-6.

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This should never happen in high school. We have 2 rules that prevent it.

First, inside 2 min. remaining in either half, if the game clock is running and there’s a foul, the offended team can elect to have the game clock next started on the snap, not the ready for play signal.  Rule 3-4-7

Also, the Referee has the authority to order the clock started or stopped, at his discretion, if a team is attempting to illegally conserve or consume time. Rule 3-4-6.

Correct, but if it's outside of 2 minutes typically a ref won't do it on the first try. Maybe on the 2nd he'll stop the clock?  But you can still run off some time if one wanted to before a referee catches on.  

2 minutes ago, EricFeller said:

Correct, but if it's outside of 2 minutes typically a ref won't do it on the first try. Maybe on the 2nd he'll stop the clock?  But you can still run off some time if one wanted to before a referee catches on.  

For that matter, you could do it in the 1st or 3rd quarters as well. I can honestly say, however, I’ve never seen it in a high school game. And if people start to do it, you can be sure the word will get around, and the Referee’s index of suspicion will go way up.

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

For that matter, you could do it in the 1st or 3rd quarters as well. I can honestly say, however, I’ve never seen it in a high school game. And if people start to do it, you can be sure the word will get around, and the Referee’s index of suspicion will go way up.

There is for sure a coach that does this (False start on purpose before the rule change)but the first part of the question I think threw off some including Bob. Correct me if I’m wrong but by rule the game clock does not start after a delay of game penalty no matter what part of the game it is??

5 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

There is for sure a coach that does this (False start on purpose before the rule change)but the first part of the question I think threw off some including Bob. Correct me if I’m wrong but by rule the game clock does not start after a delay of game penalty no matter what part of the game it is??

Absolutely correct. Always on the snap following a delay penalty. I was addressing the possibility of consecutive false starts as a tactic to consume time.