Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indianapolis Democrats, state Republicans clash over proper rule

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/08/home-rule-indianapolis-local-government-indiana-general-assembly-clash/4951136002/

Tenant rights. Public transportation. Marijuana. And yes, even plastic bags.

These are the issues that have bubbled to the surface of local government in Indiana, only to be picked up at the Statehouse and debated or altered by the General Assembly — a move that, in the eyes of local municipalities, is an infringement on their ability to govern.

It's a recurring theme in Indiana politics that is particularly heightened this year in Indianapolis, which is now even more of a Democratic stronghold in a Republican state.

Democrats have cried foul over several pieces of state legislation that target Indianapolis, arguing that the Grand Old Party of "small government" is over-governing to its advantage.

"They won't let us succeed," said Councilor Ali Brown, referring to Indianapolis initiatives that will be curtailed by legislation. "Because if we succeed and we make people's lives better, then they're actually going to have to do something at the Statehouse that actually helps people instead of helping corporations."

Republicans, meanwhile, have defended what they say is responsible, reasonable legislation that sets standards not just for Indianapolis, but the whole state.

"I would not expect the city-county council to produce much very conservative, fiscally conservative legislation — I don't expect that," said Rep. Aaron Freeman, R-Indianapolis, who sponsored a bill that would withhold funding for IndyGo if it does not comply with a state requirement to raise private funds. "I wish my Democratic friends, however, understood they live in a state that's exactly the opposite of what Indianapolis is."

Indiana's history is littered with state restrictions on local government, at times a reaction to local politics. A 2011 law forbid cities from regulating firearms. A 2013 law slashed the four at-large seats on the Indianapolis city-county council, which were previously held by Democrats. A 2017 law barred Bloomington from annexing nearby land.

But when it comes to preemption legislation — laws that forbid municipalities from enacting ordinances — Indiana is actually part of a more recent nationwide trend. Such legislation has risen across the nation in recent years, experts suggest.

And those states have typically been Republican-controlled.

"It's a reflection of this general phenomenon in our politics in the United States right now of sort of Republican-dominated state legislatures in states with Democratically controlled urban areas," said William Blomquist, a political science professor at IUPUI. "Those Democratically controlled urban areas — those local governments — sort of do their thing and the state legislature swats it down."

Government is more effective the more local it is;  not controlled by afar.

• Disdain 1