Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2020 - What Might have Been

Guest DT

Doubt IU would have beaten UM up there.  But MSU?  Probably.  IU is so young and had red-shirted like they were never able to do before. And, without many scholarships to give, have quietly added some nice pieces for 2021.  "That high school coach", as Dakich calls him, is building this program the right way.  IU football is destined for long term success.

What might have been could be said for a lot of teams.  The first polls came out and Ohio State was ranked #2 and only 16 points behind #1 Clemson. There is a rumor now that the Big Ten is discussing starting their season in November.  That will mess with the national title playoffs.   The drama continues.

I thiunk IU will be one of the teams that is most negatively impacted by the virus.  Its taken 10 years to build to this moment , under Kevin Wright and Tom Allen, all that momentum has built up to such high expectations for the 2020 season.  And now the season is gone, like a fart in the wind.  Indiana does not have the depth to withstand the losses that will occur as players quit, retire, transfer or go to the NFL.  

The big guys , OSU. UM, PSU, WISC, IO, NEB can rfeload at will.  I feel bad for Allen, who has brought the program to a level of competiton not seen in Bloomington since the mid 80s under Bill Mallory.   Its really a shame.  

Also, I think IU will really struggle with a Big Ten only schedule.  The Hoosiers need those non con wins to build confidence and program depth.  Without those MAC wins, IU is back to a 2 to 3 win program annually.