Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Post Game Handshake

45 minutes ago, Hornetcoach said:

So, you do not force your children to say "please and thank you"?  You force them until they start doing it for themselves.  Kids only know what they're taught, and obviously some of them aren't being taught at home, so it is our job as coaches to teach and instill such character traits.  I realize there is a difference between little kids and high school students, however, they are still impressionable young people and need guidance and modeling how to do things the right way, sometimes we're the only positive lessons they get all day.

I agree with everything you say, except the implicit conclusion that requiring kids to line up, walk through a line mumbling “good game” over and over, and fist bumping the other team is an effective way to go about it. Because it’s mandatory, it’s meaningless. If you’ve done those things you say are important, when the kids see you walking out to shake the opposing coaches hands after a hard fought game, they’ll know it’s the right thing to do, and they’ll do it freely, of their own accord. And that is so much more meaningful. Also, that is what team captains are for. Leadership comes from being out front, not pushing from the rear.

But, of course, if you were the one to try and break the tradition, you’d be branded as “unsportsmanlike,” and probably worse.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2

I noticed several CG and Cathedral players actually embraced each other / quick 'man hug' after the game last Friday which was awesome show of sportsmanship given the circumstances of the game in addition to the Covid world we live in and will continue to live in until a proven vaccine.  I am surprised no one brought this up yet but I am only on this forum a couple times a week!