Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview with Adams Central Head Coach Mike Mosser.

Guest DT

HHF Interview with Adams Central Head Coach Mike Mosser.

The Jets will be looking to fly back up to the top of the Allen County Conference and beyond as they approach the 2021 season.

Question 1
You've had a good look at your team through summer drills and 7 on 7 competitions over the past two months. What are your observations as you head into the final month of preparations before the season opens, where do you see this team's strengths, and what areas are deficient and need improvement?
Response
We do have speed and skill but still have questions at the QB position, Offensive Line, and Defensive Ends – we have to have more consistent play at all those positions.

Question 2
Coach, your team slipped to 8-3 last year after the great 25-3 two year run of 2018-2019, including 2 appearances in the North 1A semi state. Expectations have been extremely high at Adams Central now for several years. How have your kids handled living up to those expectations and have you seen any change in their attitude or demeanor heading into the 2021 season?
Response
It is expected. I believe they do rise to the occasion. We have not lowered our expectations any and the kids do not expect us to. I think that’s what drives our kids – wanting to keep up the tradition of AC football. We have a lot to improve on from last season. It did not end as we had hoped. I am expecting a lot of leadership from this group of seniors. We will see if they rise to the occasion.

Question 3
How would you assess the general health of your football program in terms of overall numbers, skill level, strength and speed development, and game day execution of your offensive and defensive schemes and philosophies?
Response
I feel really good about it – we have great numbers – high 40s and feel good about how they have practiced all summer. They have responded well and most of the team practices have been well attended.

Question 4
The Allen County Athletic Conference is a solid league from top to bottom, and you have a great rivalry with fellow county school South Adams. SA reached the 1A title game last year
and continued to represent the league in solid fashion. What is your overall assessment of the conference, which teams do you see rising, and do you feel you get everything you can out of The ACAC to adequately prepare your football team for post season play.
Response
The Conference has been down the last few years with a few exceptions. I hope to see the level of competition increase this year – particularly from Heritage, Jay County, and of course South Adams. Bluffton lost a lot from last year’s team but I do see them as putting together a strong team. They are well coached for sure.

Question 5
What is the core identity of your football program today, your primary offensive and defensive philosophies, and who are some of the top returning players on offense, defense and special teams for the Jets?
Response
We believe defense wins championships so do put a lot of emphasis on that. Obviously as an offensive coach the standing joke on the team is that offense comes first! However, that is truly not the case. I am a big believer in strong defense and have a lot of faith in our defensive coaches. They do a great job. We will continue to stress defense this year. Offensively we hope to continue with our run power game and hope to have much success. We have some talented backs this year with Blake Heyerly and Alex Currie. We will expect much from Corbin Hirschy, Zach Wurm, and Cody Lautzenheiser all of which started and played a lot last season. How they go is how we as a team go so their role is very important. We hope to do a lot of play action passing and obviously that can’t happen without first getting the run game going. Defensively I think we can be solid. We have a lot of returners. Linebackers are all coming back as well as the secondary. As a I said, big holes to fill at the Defensive End position.

Question 6
What is your philosophy on non conference scheduling, and please tell us a little about how the neutral site matchup with Parke Heritage at Pendleton Heights on September 4 came to fruition.?
Response
I love playing schools out of the conference. It’s fun to play someone that you do not regularly play. Very excited about Parke Heritage – it came about simply because our game with Monroe Central got canceled since they joined a new conference and had to play a conference game that week. They were open too but both teams feared a long drive for one – we decided to play at Pendleton since it was half-way for both of us.

Question 7
1A has turned into a real battle ground across the state, with lots of solid public and private schools chasing after a state championship. The Success Factor has now been in play for several years, with an objective to maintain competitive balance in the post season tournament. Are you a supporter of the SF, and do you believe it has achieved its objective? Do you see any unintended consequences as well? Additionally, would you like to see seeding in the state tournament?
Response
This is controversial of course – not a big fan of the system but also don’t like the dominance of parochial schools. I would really like to see it go away and do one of two things – either put all parochial schools in their own class or make them play up a class. For example, Bishop Luers is a 2A school who consistently plays up – I believe they should have to play in the 3A tournament. This would definitely level the playing field. I know parochial schools would not like this one bit but I can tell you that most small 1A rural schools would be for that.

Question 8
We have spoken at length about the growing need for a dedicated strength and conditioning program with many coaches from throuought the state. Some schools are more fortunate than others to have the resources in place to fund coaching and better equipment to assist in the development of their student athletes. How would you assess your strength and conditioning program at Adams Central, and how does it compare against the type of schools you would expect to see deep into the tournament?
Response
I am very pleased with it – we have an excellent weight room that meets the needs of our kids. Players can take weight lifting classes during the day and many of our athletes do that.

Question 9
We see a tremendous amount of support on The Gridiron Digest for schools in Northeast Indiana, probably more than any other area of the state. Northeast Indiana schools travel well to Indy to support their teams in the state finals. How would you assess your support at Adams Central, and why do your NE Indiana communities seem to be more invested in their local high school sports teams than in many other parts of the state?
Response
That’s a good question – I don’t know. One overall reason is that the Fort Wayne media networks do a great job promoting our sport. I just got back from media day in Fort Wayne and it would blow a lot of areas of the state away with the excitement they generate. They do a great job and that’s why I think people are so into football. AC has always had a great following and care deeply about the AC football. That goes way back. Monroe is a small rural town and the football team has become something that people can identify with. Our past and present success has helped continue that.

Question 10
Coming off another solid football season in 2020,what are your expectations and goals for the 2021 season for the Jets, and do you see any darkhorse candidates looking to make a move in 1A and become a factor in the post season tournament?
Response
We hope to improve on last season – as I said, we were disappointed in losing to Southwood in the sectional final. The key will be senior leadership and aggressive play. I think our sectional is one of the toughest around. Southwood, Northfield, and Busco are going to be good again and the Sectional is anybody’s gain. We hope to be on top. Obviously, in order to do that we have to get better and better each week and avoid serious injuries.

Thanks Coach, and best of luck in the coming fall season.

download (7).jpg

AR-310119594.jpg

HHFLogo.jpg

“The Allen County Athletic Conference is a solid league from top to bottom”

😂😂😂😂😂

Today the ACAC is probably one of the weakest conferences in the entire state.  Boasting powerhouse programs such as Jay Co, Woodlan, Heritage and Southern Wells.  Used to be solid top to bottom.  This days are long gone.

53 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

“The Allen County Athletic Conference is a solid league from top to bottom”

😂😂😂😂😂

Today the ACAC is probably one of the weakest conferences in the entire state.  Boasting powerhouse programs such as Jay Co, Woodlan, Heritage and Southern Wells.  Used to be solid top to bottom.  This days are long gone.

Coach Mosser agrees with your assessment based on his response to Q4

17 hours ago, southend said:

Ok then, we got that out of the way.  Anything positive from this interview?

Still waiting for the other answer to be scrutinized. As an AC fan, former player, and someone semi involved with the youth of the program, I hope for a deep playoff run. The playoff thorns are stuck in 2A right now. We have to get through a solid sectional and if that happens, probably play either a tough SA or a tough MC team at regionals. The question will be who the new semi state thorn could be if they get there. My fear is that we will move to 2A when we will have some talent coming up. That talent would be great in 1A, but would a really tough road in 2A with Luers, Pioneer, LCC, and Eastbrook to name a few residing their currently. Pioneer and LCC could move back down, but if not then it will be really tough. 

4 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Still waiting for the other answer to be scrutinized. As an AC fan, former player, and someone semi involved with the youth of the program, I hope for a deep playoff run. The playoff thorns are stuck in 2A right now. We have to get through a solid sectional and if that happens, probably play either a tough SA or a tough MC team at regionals. The question will be who the new semi state thorn could be if they get there. My fear is that we will move to 2A when we will have some talent coming up. That talent would be great in 1A, but would a really tough road in 2A with Luers, Pioneer, LCC, and Eastbrook to name a few residing their currently. Pioneer and LCC could move back down, but if not then it will be really tough. 

This is the part of the SF that I dont like.  The uncertainty of what lies ahead with other schools and their own changing classifications.

Im for a straight PP bump up one full class and leave all publics in the class that fits their enrollment.  If a public wants to play up, they can petition the IHSAA for approval.

Simple as that