Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Anything Can Happen...

Nobody would have thought Lawrence Central (who I admit I have not watched at all this year) would beat Warren Central. Especially after WC beat them 48-13 in week 4. Things happen at this time of year (teams get better, injuries take out key players, weather can play a part etc etc).

It is a common thing on here for someone to say "No game is a given", "Still a lot of football to be played" etc etc we all have seen it. There are also some that state this team will walk on their way to State Finals and think games are a foregone conclusion. This isn't a thread to rip either side, but more of a post to recalls some times you can think of where your were totally shocked by a team beating another team.

The first time that really comes to my mind (I will have to think a little harder to pull up some more) is the 2000 2nd round sectional Cathedral @ Plainfield. 2000 Plainfield was a very very good team that was undefeated. Cathedral was 2 time defending State Champion and undefeated with an All State and eventual Mr. Football RB. Not many (outside of Plainfield players, coaches, parents, and fans) thought the Quakers would win that game. They did 14-7 in a great game.

I also watched in 2004 as 3-3 Center Grove beat 6-0 Warren Central 50-49 in the regular season! Talk about points coming in droves! That was a great game and very enjoyable if you were not Kevin Wright or Eric Moore and the ups and downs! I don't think many thought CG would beat the machine that was WC that year (WC eventually went on to win their 2nd of 4 State Titles in a row).

What other shocking upsets can you think of (preferably tournament games and not Regular season games)? I will do some more thoughts as I have seen a lot of games over the years.

Agreed on that. Northrop should have beaten Snider last night. Snider beat them 42-12 four weeks ago. Northrop controlled line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, had big advantage on time of possession, pretty much played error free, offense for most of game did what they wanted to against Snider's D, Snider had three turnovers in 2nd half & some questionable play calling. The team that played the best , lost last night. 9 times out of 10, that team that has those advantages will win. 

I think Snider was looking past Northrop to next weeks game against Dwenger. Looks like Dwenger may have been looking to next week as well, they barley got by North Side. 

• Like 1