Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Heritage Conference Week 3

First week of conference play

Greenfield-Central (2-0) at Mt. Vernon (0-2): WRGF-89.7.  The Cougars are 2-0 for the first time since 2016. Mt. Vernon is 0-2 after winning the 4A state title last year. This is a measuring-stick game for both teams - can G-C break into the upper echelon of the league. Can MV break out of an 0-2 start and defend its conference title. County rivalry means a lot can happen. 

New Palestine (2-0) at Yorktown (2-0): NewPalRadio.com, WMUN-1340. Dragons have been impressive in steamrolling Westfield and Decatur Central. Yorktown has, too, in wins over Anderson and Muncie Central. Really like the RB matchup in this one with NP's Grayson Thomas and Yorktown's Jalen Thomas. 

Pendleton Heights (1-1) at New Castle (1-1): WEEM-91.7, WLTI-1550. This could be an intriguing matchup. PH is coming off a big win over Anderson. New Castle hasn't scored a lot of points this year and their air-raid offense depends on getting in shootouts. Last year's meeting was a 30-26 PH win. Both teams return a lot of key players. 

Shelbyville (0-2) at Delta (2-0): WSVX-1520/96.5. The Golden Bears are improving - especially on offense - but haven't been able to find the win column. Delta has won a couple of close, one-score games over Muncie Central and Columbia City. 

Now that conference play is beginning the only real question is can anyone stay within 4 TDs of the Dragons.  I know GC is improved and MTV is pretty good but I see no real challenges for the Dragons.  Basically order has been restored after the past 2 seasons.

On 8/27/2022 at 4:00 PM, CaptainHook said:

very interested to see how that Greenfield Central vs MV game turns out

Me also. G-C is improved and opened some eyes with the road win at Plainfield. MV graduated a ton but still has some playmakers back from last year (Bridenthal, Burhenn, most notably) and has lost two games to larger schools. 

It's also MV's home opener after winning a state title, so expect a big crowd. 

Could go a long way in determining who the top three teams in the league will be. 

Maybe I am bias. Actually yes I am, but New Pal is playing on a 6A level right now. That O line is scary good and BIG. I don't even think it can be debated from tackle to tackle they are the best OL in the state. Not even close. Not to take anything away from Grayson and Tippit, but if (when) New Pal wins state it is 90% those guys. But not to forget the defense. We have some of the best backers and DL in the state as well. They are smart and aggressive and great tacklers. And the DBs are getting better every week. Really overall I have never seen a team as well coached and prepared as this team is. You can't out scheme the defense, you can take away the run game (doubt it), but then the passing game just steps up. They have too many threats and things to game plan for. Good luck to anyone who tries. Just like Center Grove the last two years, the only team that can beat New Pal is New Pal. 

I do look forward to the MV and GC games. I guess we will get a real sense of where they are this Friday.

Bumping. *Really* interested to see how the battle of green turns out between PH & NC. PH looks improved after a down year by their standards, but New Castle returns just about everyone after a building year. 

MV vs. G-C looks like it might be a matchup of two of the league's top three teams. It's been a long time since that's been said of G-C this early in the season. 

New Pal 50, Yorktown 13: This was a one-score game at halftime, and Yorktown had first-and-goal down 14-7 in the final minute of the half (but had to settle for a FG, then NP's Brendan Tanksley nailed a career-long 47-yarder at the break). NP scored 33 points in about seven minutes, with three picks and a blocked punt to flip the score. Mason Moulton is really impressive - was 24-of-47 in this one. NP's QBs were 16-of-23 for 186 yards, with Danny Tippit throwing for 165. 

Mt. Vernon 35, Greenfield-Central 28: Marauders had to rally in the fourth quarter but pulled out the win for their first victory of the year. Sets up a big one for the Boundary Rail against New Pal next week. 

Delta 42, Shelbyville 7: Eagles roll at home. 

Pendleton Heights 35, New Castle 0: Arabians jumped out to an early lead and it was never in doubt. 

• Like 1