Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Referee Ejects Entire Marshalltown Fan Base During Wild Finish in Substate Final

Bobref

Question

I won’t say I’ve never been tempted....  But unless there was an issue of personal safety involved, I can’t get behind this.

PLEASANT HILL, Iowa -- Fifth-ranked Marshalltown has not made it to the state soccer tournament in 18 years. Southeast Polk has never played on the big stage. The two teams squared off Saturday to punch their ticket to state.

With the game tied 2-2 through regulation and overtime, the teams headed to a penalty shootout.

In the penalty shootout, it came down to the final Southeast Polk shooter. The Rams need to score to stay alive. But Marshalltown’s Jesus Munoz saved the shot.

It appeared as if the Bobcats had won and were headed to state, but the referee said Munoz left his line early. Munoz received a yellow card and was sent off. The goal was counted, and Marshalltown fans became very upset with the decision. As a result, the referee ejected the entire Marshalltown fan base. Everyone was ordered to leave the stadium.

After about a 15-minute exodus, the shootout resumed. The Rams once again needed to score to keep it alive.  But Marshalltown's backup goalkeeper, Ernesto Tellez, made the save, and this time it counted.

Marshalltown won the game and is heading to state, 3-2 over Southeast Polk and 8-7 in PKs.

https://whotv.com/2019/05/25/referee-ejects-entire-marshalltown-fanbase-during-wild-finish-in-substate-final/

1 answer to this question

I was supervising a travel softball tournament last year when the PU requested that all fans be removed from the backstop and moved to the opposite end of the dugouts. I went and told them they had to move, only had an issue with one fan, who "paid his money" and would sit wherever he wanted. After a brief discussion he saw things my way and moved. No problems for the "if" game. It's sad, why can't adults just act like adults and let kids play a game?

• Like 1