Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Delay of game to punt further

Whiting89

Question

On most levels of football mostly nfl I notice that punting teams will take a delay of game to make it easier for their punter. Why don’t more coaches decline the penalty, is there some kind of etiquette? 
this seems to be the one time a penalty of more beneficial to the offending team.

So I guess my official referee question what percent of the time do you see the defending team decline this penalty?

1 answer to this question

9 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

On most levels of football mostly nfl I notice that punting teams will take a delay of game to make it easier for their punter. Why don’t more coaches decline the penalty, is there some kind of etiquette? 
this seems to be the one time a penalty of more beneficial to the offending team.

So I guess my official referee question what percent of the time do you see the defending team decline this penalty?

First off, be aware that the distance penalty for any foul can be declined by the offended team.

I don’t recall ever seeing a high school team do this on a punt. I’ve seen it many times on a kick try, most recently in the New Prairie @ Kankakee Valley game in the sectional this past season.