Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Overtime Penalty Administration

5GetsYou1

Question

Here's a variance from yesterday's play of the day:

The game ends in a tie with the score A - 21 and B - 21.  Immediately following the final whistle, B1 clearly throws a punch at A1.  A1 retaliates by punching B1.  All five officials agree that B1 was the first one to throw a punch.  B wins the overtime toss and elects to go on defense first.  Where will the ball be spotted to start the overtime?

Edited by 5GetsYou1

4 answers to this question

I don't think it matters anymore.  I could be wrong, but the yard penalties would cancel...

BUT............ If they don't..... 1st and Goal from the 12.5 yard line.  15 yard penalty to back them up to the 25, half the distance to the 12.5

1 hour ago, SoIndRef said:

I don't think it matters anymore.  I could be wrong, but the yard penalties would cancel...

BUT............ If they don't..... 1st and Goal from the 12.5 yard line.  15 yard penalty to back them up to the 25, half the distance to the 12.5

Ignore that yardage enforcement... 

10-2-5

ART. 5 . . . Enforcement of penalties for unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball fouls:

a. Penalties for dead-ball fouls, other than when both teams commit unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball personal fouls prior to the completion of penalty administration for those fouls, are administered separately and in the order of occurrence. A dead-ball foul is not coupled with a live-ball foul or another dead-ball foul to create a double or multiple foul.

b. If both teams commit unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball personal fouls prior to the completion of penalty administration for those fouls, the distance penalty for an equal number of 15-yard unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball personal fouls will offset. Any remaining penalties will be enforced separately and in the order of occurrence.

c. A disqualified player or nonplayer shall be removed.

• Like 1