Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

FB taking the snap

JQWL

Question

We have done this several times this year. My QB lined up 4 yards deep. FB in a stance close to the line in a "sniffer back" position. The C snaps the ball and the FB grabs it off the centers butt and goes. Last night the official told me it was illegal. I was surprised because A.) I've done it previously. B.) I have seen others do it.

Is this indeed illegal?

3 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, JQWL said:

We have done this several times this year. My QB lined up 4 yards deep. FB in a stance close to the line in a "sniffer back" position. The C snaps the ball and the FB grabs it off the centers butt and goes. Last night the official told me it was illegal. I was surprised because A.) I've done it previously. B.) I have seen others do it.

Is this indeed illegal?

I’d have to see it to be sure, but the mental picture I have based on your description is absolutely illegal. The snap must be a smooth continuous action in which the ball leaves the snapper’s hands immediately. If the snapper is holding the ball on his butt for the FB to take it, then the ball is not leaving his hands immediately. Illegal snap. 5 yd. dead ball foul.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

we have this play in our playbook as well and we teach our centers to snap it to the shoe top of our sniffer back, but 100% it is one pendulum motion from center hand to sniffer back.  

That was the method I used prior to this year.  Personnel skill set dictated a change. Then I really started to like this new method.