Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is it time to go to 6 man mechanics?

Bobref

Question

Ohio thinks it is. This is verbatim from the weekly memo that the OHSAA sends out to administrators and head football coaches:

The Center Judge Position
Officiating football is a great challenge at all levels. The number of officials needed to adequately cover good football games, like we have in the state of Ohio, is an example of this challenge. We know with the high caliber of football in Ohio that five-person mechanics leaves many holes in coverage. The goal is to add officials to cover the important areas of our game.
When we studied the high school game, we realized that one huge area in which we need better coverage is the line of scrimmage and everything that happens in that three-yard band beyond the line of scrimmage. The center judge is a position that was added at both the collegiate and professional levels which gives great coverage to the line of scrimmage since the referee must focus on the quarterback soon after the snap (this is true at our level, also). We found the center judge position very successful in 2017 and 2018. There are other advantages to the center judge position. These mechanics give the umpire more freedom to focus on the point of attack because we have coverage on the line of scrimmage from the center judge. Also, these mechanics give us better coverage on both scrimmage kicks and free kicks.
We are very encouraged with the evolution of the center judge position and we will look to expand more each year. To do this, we need several things to happen:
1. We need to increase the number of class 1 officials to supplement regular season crews. 2. Concurrently, we need schools to assist in scheduling six-person crews to regular
season contests.
My hope is that we can work together to improve coverage in our football contests that our game demands.

I know we have a real scramble for sufficient officials to cover games in some areas using only 5. But we could start by switching to 6 by the 2nd week of the tournament. Something to think about.

4 answers to this question

If we were to add a 6th official it would make much more sense to put them in the defensive backfield rather than the CJ position. I have never heard of any officials at any level adding the CJ any earlier than the 8th official. The NFL moved the umpire there so they do it with 7. There has been discussions with going to 7 officials for later rounds of the tournament so I know there is at least interest in exploring it. I would love to see us move in that direction.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JustRules said:

If we were to add a 6th official it would make much more sense to put them in the defensive backfield rather than the CJ position. I have never heard of any officials at any level adding the CJ any earlier than the 8th official. The NFL moved the umpire there so they do it with 7. There has been discussions with going to 7 officials for later rounds of the tournament so I know there is at least interest in exploring it. I would love to see us move in that direction.

The Ohio memo explains why they think it is a good idea to put a 6th official at C. Can you give us the counterpoint as to why a traditional 6 man lineup of R, L, H, U, S and F is superior?

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The Ohio memo explains why they think it is a good idea to put a 6th official at C. Can you give us the counterpoint as to why a traditional 6 man lineup of R, L, H, U, S and F is superior?

The biggest gap we have in 5-man is downfield. Pylons aren't covered well during long plays. Goal line is hard to cover when the ball is snapped between the 10 and 15. FG and tries lose a wing. The C could take the other upright so the wings stay on the LOS, but it would make more sense for the deep officials to take the uprights. On punts you would already have 2 deep officials ready. Free kicks wouldn't be different regardless of C/deep because everyone goes to a spot to start.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JustRules said:

The biggest gap we have in 5-man is downfield. Pylons aren't covered well during long plays. Goal line is hard to cover when the ball is snapped between the 10 and 15. FG and tries lose a wing. The C could take the other upright so the wings stay on the LOS, but it would make more sense for the deep officials to take the uprights. On punts you would already have 2 deep officials ready. Free kicks wouldn't be different regardless of C/deep because everyone goes to a spot to start.

I agree with Ohio and would only want 6 man with the center judge. 2 deep wings with no one in the middle is for a better word “stupid”. With all that said its absolutely ridiculous we don’t goto 7 or even 8 man mechanics after week 2 of the tournament and work that way to the state finals.