Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Unsportsmanlike

from_the_sidelines007

Question

Why is a penalty called when a player makes a play - run or catch - that results in a first down and the player make a motion for a first-down?

There is no taughting toward the opposition, just a motion with a hand(s) indicating first down.

It seems that players are not allowed to show positive emotion such as his team gaining a first down.

I've seen this couple times this year.

I do not see disrespect toward the opposition or degrading anyone.  Just, as the IHSAA state, "Pure Spirit"

Thanks for the feedback ...

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

2 answers to this question

Generally speaking, in HS football there is less leeway given for conduct by which a player calls attention to himself, and that is consistent with the philosophy of high school football, as opposed to big time college football or the NFL, which is entertainment-based, as opposed to education-based.

Having said that, there is no blanket rule regarding showmanship and unsportsmanlike conduct. Everything is a specific situation, and it is a matter of judgment. The NCAA code has specific examples of acts deemed unsportsmanlike. The NF code does not.

If a player gets up and quickly gives the first down signal I'll talk to him and tell him to not do it again. If it's an extended signal it's likely a flag. If he does it again, it's likely a flag. Show enthusiasm and celebrate with your teammates. Signaling a first down is visible for everyone, calls attention to yourself and could be considered taunting because you are showing up your opponent by visibly telling them you got the first down.

I don't remember if I have ever flagged a player for doing this because it's not common and if it did happen it was brief and they complied with the warning to not do it again. Preventative officiating helps keep the game flowing. Most fans would be amazed at how much conversation goes on between officials and players and how officials and coaches work together to manage sportsmanship issues. Coaches often tell us in pre-game to let them know if we are having issues with players and they will take care of it. Very rarely have I found they don't follow through with that offer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2