Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SmallTown

Sectional 63 Rankings

Recommended Posts

I planned on doing this throughout the year but with the site crashing I never got a chance.

1. Barr-Reeve (17-2) Unsure how their season would go with a new coach but so far so good. They are the defending sectional champs and until someone beats them they will remain the favorite.  Friday is a big Blue Chip game vs a good South Knox team.

(the next 4 could go in about any order)

2. Loogootee (6-11) I know their record isn't very good but in my opinion they are the only sectional team that can beat BR (but could also lose to any of the other teams besides WC).  Lions are at Mitchell Friday which they should win but don't always play well there.

3. Vincennes Rivet (10-8) I've not seen Rivet play this year but they have beaten Shoals and Orleans already.  I think we'll know more after they play Shoals for the second time on Friday and also BR the following week.

4. Shoals (11-7) I know some are high on Shoals but I'm not sold and that's because they have only beaten one good team early in the year (Southridge) and have lost every other time they have played someone good.  They have a chance to move up with a win against Rivet on Friday.

5. Orleans (7-11) A good win over Loogootee last week and probably have the best coach in the sectional so can't count them out.  Orleans has a tough weekend against Paoli and Edgewood.

6. Washington Catholic (1-14) Same as last year, probably don't stand a chance of beating any of the other sectional teams.  WC will be looking for their second win and should be possible as they play Evansville Christian and Columbus Christian this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If BR plays close to their ceiling they will win this sectional. But the same was true last year when they trailed at halftime of all three games and could have lost to Orleans and should have lost to Loogootee. 

I actually think the chance of an upset is a little less with coach Thompson because he approaches slow down teams in a different (better) way than coach Hughes did. 

BR is not invincible however because the are susceptible to foul trouble and also to going ice cold on jump shots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice article I saw about Shoals. It would be cool to see them win a sectional. Incredible how different that area of the state seems to be compared to my area of NE Indiana. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SmallTown said:

I planned on doing this throughout the year but with the site crashing I never got a chance.

1. Barr-Reeve (17-2) Unsure how their season would go with a new coach but so far so good. They are the defending sectional champs and until someone beats them they will remain the favorite.  Friday is a big Blue Chip game vs a good South Knox team.

(the next 4 could go in about any order)

2. Loogootee (6-11) I know their record isn't very good but in my opinion they are the only sectional team that can beat BR (but could also lose to any of the other teams besides WC).  Lions are at Mitchell Friday which they should win but don't always play well there.

3. Vincennes Rivet (10-8) I've not seen Rivet play this year but they have beaten Shoals and Orleans already.  I think we'll know more after they play Shoals for the second time on Friday and also BR the following week.

4. Shoals (11-7) I know some are high on Shoals but I'm not sold and that's because they have only beaten one good team early in the year (Southridge) and have lost every other time they have played someone good.  They have a chance to move up with a win against Rivet on Friday.

5. Orleans (7-11) A good win over Loogootee last week and probably have the best coach in the sectional so can't count them out.  Orleans has a tough weekend against Paoli and Edgewood.

6. Washington Catholic (1-14) Same as last year, probably don't stand a chance of beating any of the other sectional teams.  WC will be looking for their second win and should be possible as they play Evansville Christian and Columbus Christian this weekend.

Taps and Smalltown was wondering if any of the other teams have improved enough to make a legit challenge to BR or do any have a high enough ceiling that can get the job done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tapsbrowning said:

If BR plays close to their ceiling they will win this sectional. But the same was true last year when they trailed at halftime of all three games and could have lost to Orleans and should have lost to Loogootee. 

I actually think the chance of an upset is a little less with coach Thompson because he approaches slow down teams in a different (better) way than coach Hughes did. 

BR is not invincible however because the are susceptible to foul trouble and also to going ice cold on jump shots. 

Hughes was a great coach so it's hard to do anything better but you are right taps, Thompson's approach is better against slow down teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Nice article I saw about Shoals. It would be cool to see them win a sectional. Incredible how different that area of the state seems to be compared to my area of NE Indiana. 

Yes nice article in the Indystar about Shoals. It would be nice to see them win a sectional but if not at least they have regained the respect of opponents.

I still think the Bauer kid that transferred to Loogootee a few years ago would have been this teams missing piece. Playing him alongside the Tichenor kid would have been hard to guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, HoopsRunner said:

Taps and Smalltown was wondering if any of the other teams have improved enough to make a legit challenge to BR or do any have a high enough ceiling that can get the job done?

Probably the only team that has improved is Orleans. They have a very good coach so I expected them to improve over the course of the season, but I was still shocked when they beat Loogootee. 

In my opinion none of the teams are good enough to beat BR if BR plays average (for them) or better.

BR tends to get in foul trouble but are deep enough that isn't a killer. Shooting has been a problem for BR. They have had a couple of games where they didn't make a single jump shot - but still won those games.

I apologize for this rambling answer. A simple answer is that any of the teams except Washington Catholic could beat BR, but it would be a huge huge upset for Shoals, Rivet, or Orleans to do so and a very big upset if Loogootee beat them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HoopsRunner said:

nothing is ever simple when breaking down a sectional field. 

That's for sure, especially 63. This BR team is especially tough to figure. I mean they are 19 - 2 against a pretty good schedule for a 1A school, but they just never seem to be able to click on all cylinders. Maybe they will get on a run around tournament time and also maybe they will lay a complete egg and go out early. Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. BR (18-2) Nice win against a good South Knox team. Two tough games this weekend against Rivet and Princeton. A win at Rivet would make BR the outright Blue Chip Conference champ.

2. Vin. Rivet (11-8) Another win over Shoals moves them up a spot. This week they probably have their toughest two game stretch of the year with games against South Knox and BR.

3. Loogootee (6-12) Tough loss against Mitchell last week. After the year they've had it will be interesting to see how they respond to a loss like that, up 20 and end up getting beat by 2. Easy game vs WC tonight then tough weekend at Dubois and at Southridge.

4. Shoals (11-8) Jug Rox suffered 4th straight loss. We'll see if they can bounce back this week as they host Dubois and Orleans.

5. Orleans (6-14) Last week was rough but was expected. Two away games this week against West Washington and Shoals. Bulldogs have a chance to move up with a win at Shoals.

6. WC (3-14) WC won back to back games over the weekend. They have 2 hard games against Loogootee and Springs Valley but then finish weekend with another winnable game against Medora.

 

** Sectional Draw this Sunday. If I'm on any team other than BR I would want Loogootee to draw BR in first game on Tuesday, might be everyone's best chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orleans blew out West Washington, I know Bradley is a good coach, but man when I saw them early in the year I wasn't sure they would win one game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoals is the clear winner of the sectional draw and unless they overlook Orleans should be playing for a sectional championship next Saturday.  Loogootee and Rivet definitely got the toughest draw but I think the winner has a better chance against BR than if they drew them first game.  After having played your first game in what should be a competitive game, all jitters should be gone.  With BR not playing until Friday and having a week off your hope is they come out a little rusty and maybe get a quick jump on them and make the game interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Vincennes and used to spend a lot of time at some friends farm right between Loogootee and Shoals.  Pulling for the Jug Rox this year though!

We have good basketball up here in this part of the state, but I miss the history and rivalries down that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SmallTown said:

Shoals is the clear winner of the sectional draw and unless they overlook Orleans should be playing for a sectional championship next Saturday.  Loogootee and Rivet definitely got the toughest draw but I think the winner has a better chance against BR than if they drew them first game.  After having played your first game in what should be a competitive game, all jitters should be gone.  With BR not playing until Friday and having a week off your hope is they come out a little rusty and maybe get a quick jump on them and make the game interesting.

BR is a lot of things, but one thing they sure aren't is lucky on the draw. I personally don't like the bye especially when you will then be playing the two best teams in the field back to back.

If they do win then they drew the worst possible combination in the regional. Huge advantage for the Borden winner to play both the first game and the West Washington winner which will be by far the weakest team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loogootee and Shoals are favored to win tonight's games, my prediction is one of those two will get upset tonight (although Rivet winning isn't much of an upset).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...