Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SEC reasserts it's dominance

Guest DT

I've been a big fan of the Big Ten's recent push towards the top of the college football conference hierarchy

But recent developments indicate the SEC will have no more of that as the conference appears poised to widen the gap between itself and all others

Oklahoma's disastrous performance in the semi-final is a huge black stain on the Big 12. 

They basically play flag football in that conference, and the results also reflect poorly on Texas high school football as well

The PAC 12 and ACC fell even further behind this year.  California's best high school players are going to the SEC in droves as recruiting at USC, Stanford and UCLA has fallen precipitously.  

Given current performance, coaching and recruiting direction, here are your near term National Championship contenders:

Big Ten - Ohio State

ACC - Clemson

Pac 12 - None

Big 12 - None

SEC - Alabama, Auburn. LSU, Florida, Georgia

30 minutes ago, DT said:

I've been a big fan of the Big Ten's recent push towards the top of the college football conference hierarchy

Congratulations, because they ARE at at the top along with the SEC. They may not be as strong at the top (it's close though), but they do have some pretty good depth.

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Oklahoma's disastrous performance in the semi-final is a huge black stain on the Big 12. 

Anyone with any brain activity whatsoever saw this one coming. Oklahoma would finish somewhere between 5th and 6th in the Big Ten. 

42 minutes ago, DT said:

The PAC 12 and ACC fell even further behind this year.  California's best high school players are going to the SEC in droves as recruiting at USC, Stanford and UCLA has fallen precipitously.  

It's hard to take any football program west of Iowa seriously right now. 

44 minutes ago, DT said:

Given current performance, coaching and recruiting direction, here are your near term National Championship contenders:

Big Ten - Ohio State

ACC - Clemson

Pac 12 - None

Big 12 - None

SEC - Alabama, Auburn. LSU, Florida, Georgia

Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State are your Top 3. But can you honestly mention Georgia, Auburn, and Florida without giving Notre Dame any recognition? I get it, they don't have that signature win. So I'll take any abuse delivered until November 7, 2019. I'll say it here, I'll say it now. Clemson's winning streak comes to an end that day. I know that's a bold statement and November 8th could be a bad day for me on this forum, but I'll take my chances. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Congratulations, because they ARE at at the top along with the SEC. They may not be as strong at the top (it's close though), but they do have some pretty good depth.

Anyone with any brain activity whatsoever saw this one coming. Oklahoma would finish somewhere between 5th and 6th in the Big Ten. 

Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State are your Top 3. But can you honestly mention Georgia, Auburn, and Florida without giving Notre Dame any recognition? I get it, they don't have that signature win. So I'll take any abuse delivered until November 7, 2019. I'll say it here, I'll say it now. Clemson's winning streak comes to an end that day. I know that's a bold statement and November 8th could be a bad day for me on this forum, but I'll take my chances. 

No one will take Notre Dame seriously, nor should they, until they get that signature win you’re speaking of.  Hell, maybe even being COMPETITIVE would give them some legitimacy as they’ve been embarrassed the last two times they’ve been in the national title hunt.

The Big 12 is going to get the shaft (as it should) going forward based on Oklahoma’s playoff track record.

The Pac 12 will also be penalized due to Oklahoma’s blunder and the fact that their conference champion was beaten by the fourth best team in the SEC.

Its Clemson, Alabama, OSU and everyone else.  LSU, Georgia and Auburn (maybe Florida as I like Mullen) will rise up to challenge occasionally.

I know that last night’s results will give pause to anyone who was previously considering playoff expansion, but I would rather see semifinal and quarterfinal blowouts as opposed to meaningless bowl games where players sit out because they have nothing to play for any day of the week.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Talent always wins out in college football.  ND is far behind Alabama, Georgia and LSU, and on equal footing with Texas A&M, Tennessee, Auburn and Florida.  

ND has not won a real big game in years.  They dont seem to have the offensive firepower to hang with the best.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Talent always wins out in college football.  ND is far behind Alabama, Georgia and LSU, and on equal footing with Texas A&M, Tennessee, Auburn and Florida.  

ND has not won a real big game in years.  They dont seem to have the offensive firepower to hang with the best.  

They didn't seem so far behind Georgia the last couple of times they played them. Both games could have gone either way. They are 2-0 against LSU over the last 6 years (this year is another story). It's kind of hard to back up your "far" behind statement. Slightly behind would make more sense. Unless you are implying that the coaching at ND is good enough to overcome the talent gap. 

Equal footing with Auburn and Florida. Ahead of Texas A&M and Tennessee.

13 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I know that last night’s results will give pause to anyone who was previously considering playoff expansion, but I would rather see semifinal and quarterfinal blowouts as opposed to meaningless bowl games where players sit out because they have nothing to play for any day of the week.

I think, most years, and 8 team playoff makes sense. It gives the mid-major an opportunity to prove themselves instead of making t-shirts self-proclaiming themselves as champs. And it would give purpose to two more bowl games.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Tennessee?  You’re watching 80s (Nebraska) and 90s (Tennessee) football again huh?

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Tennessee?  You’re watching 80s (Nebraska) and 90s (Tennessee) football again huh?

WE are comparing, on paper, ND talent to the second tier SEC teams.  That is exactly where they slot in.  

SEC schedule more daunting than the ND slate.  

Edited by DT

23 minutes ago, DT said:

WE are comparing, on paper, ND talent to the second tier SEC teams.  That is exactly where they slot in.  

SEC schedule more daunting than the ND slate.  

Talent may be the same but on field results differ.  I’m not even sure Tennessee is a second-tier SEC team to be honest.

I was left out a month ago for suggesting that the Hoosiers are the best collegiate football program in Indiana and they are playing Tennessee next week...

The line?  Vols -1.5.

Just now, Temptation said:

Talent may be the same but on field results differ.  I’m not even sure Tennessee is a second-tier SEC team to be honest.

I was left out a month ago for suggesting that the Hoosiers are the best collegiate football program in Indiana and they are playing Tennessee next week...

The line?  Vols -1.5.

Remember what happened to Purdue when they went to play an SEC team in a post season bowl game.  Auburn destroyed them.  Totally different athlete and roster makeup .  TN should be favored by 3 TDs over IU if you do a true talent comparison.  .  Their program is in disarray and they are in rebuilding mode.  Remember, TN has a national championship and multi SEC championship background.  They will be back in the picture before too long.  This shows just how tough the SEC is week in and week out, when a program with an over abundance of talent like TN struggles to remain relevant

49 minutes ago, DT said:

Remember what happened to Purdue when they went to play an SEC team in a post season bowl game.  Auburn destroyed them.  Totally different athlete and roster makeup .  TN should be favored by 3 TDs over IU if you do a true talent comparison.  .  Their program is in disarray and they are in rebuilding mode.  Remember, TN has a national championship and multi SEC championship background.  They will be back in the picture before too long.  This shows just how tough the SEC is week in and week out, when a program with an over abundance of talent like TN struggles to remain relevant

You’ll give me IU +21, then?

@Coach Nowlin???

11 hours ago, DT said:

Tennessee was Auburn, and TN will again be Auburn.   Just a question of time.   They have equal talent.  One just coached up better than the other.  

You have to look at the results on the field. You can't say that Tennessee and Texas A&M are on the same level as Notre Dame. Tennessee will more than likely lose to Indiana on Thursday. It's nice to say that they will have a good team in the future, but currently ND would waste them by four touchdowns. I would have ND as a 10 pt favorite over Texas A&M. Do those teams have wonderful futures ahead of them? Sure, why not. But currently, they aren't Notre Dame. 

Based what these programs did this year, what they did the last couple of years, and what the future holds, I see it like this:

Top Tier: Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU

Second Tier: Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Auburn

Best of the rest: Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, Baylor, Washington, Washington State, and Oregon

1 hour ago, BTF said:

You have to look at the results on the field. You can't say that Tennessee and Texas A&M are on the same level as Notre Dame. Tennessee will more than likely lose to Indiana on Thursday. It's nice to say that they will have a good team in the future, but currently ND would waste them by four touchdowns. I would have ND as a 10 pt favorite over Texas A&M. Do those teams have wonderful futures ahead of them? Sure, why not. But currently, they aren't Notre Dame. 

Based what these programs did this year, what they did the last couple of years, and what the future holds, I see it like this:

Top Tier: Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU

Second Tier: Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Auburn

Best of the rest: Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, Baylor, Washington, Washington State, and Oregon

Your second tier is murky.  Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan and Florida deserve a promotion.

Washington losing Peterson will be interesting but I’d put them HM along with Baylor.  After what I saw from Oklahoma AGAIN, I’m going to have pause placing another Big 12 team in tier 2 and I think Ruhle is going to field some calls this offseason.

I love Mike Leach just as much as the next guy but they are Oklahoma without the steroids.  

11 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

He’s impersonating Clark Griswold as we speak. 

I am very concerned that TN will run wild all over the field against IU the way that Auburn did against Purdue.  The talent gap between TN and Indiana is massive.  More than anything, these bowl games demonstrate the speed gap between the SEC and the Big Ten.  

Edited by DT

12 minutes ago, DT said:

I am very concerned that TN will run wild all over the field against IU the way that Auburn did against Purdue.  The talent gap between TN and Indiana is massive.  More than anything, these bowl games demonstrate the speed gap between the SEC and the Big Ten.  

Not concerned enough to give me +21, though?

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

13 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Current line has TN - 2.5    IU never upsets anyone.

Ill give you the Hoosiers + 10.  

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Yea I'm in Europe

Don't care 

Go Vols 

Singing back out 

Cheerio

Bon Jour 

Ay Revour 

Cheers 

Enjoy.   Where are you going in Europe?