Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ten Decades of Miner Footall

As I sat on the sidelines at Roy Williams field watching the Linton Miners practice last evening It occurred to me that I was starting my tenth decade of watching my Miners practice and play on that hallowed piece of turf.  As a small boy in the 1930's I lived near Oliphant Field as it was then known and spent nearly all of my time at the field during football season.  The Linton field was named after Elmer Oliphant, Linton's most famous sports graduate.  Although his memory has faded many of his national football records still stand at Purdue and West point.  I suggest you Google Elmer Oliphant and read for yourselves.  But I badly digress.  That's the way with us old-timers.  I know I shouldn't blow my own horn as they say. But I'm still playing my trumpet and I first played in the marching band on that field 76 years ago in 1944.  Anyway, I've watched Linton Miner football in every decade from the 1930's up until now, the 1020's.  I've seen some exhilarating highs and some horrible lows and everything in between.  I've seen practices this season and the scrimmage last week so this season is in the books.  I won't be traveling to Southridge this evening although I'll be watching on my big screen via the Greene County Sports Network.  I hate to not be there.  I rarely miss a game but these are unusual times.  The verdict is still out on this year's Miner team as it is with most teams before the first game.  We've got some good-looking young kids that lack varsity experience.  I know Linton has a great coaching staff that has been together for many years.  If the miners take their lumps tonight at Southridge,  that'll just be a step in getting better.  

Now about that ten decades,  if anyone can tie that I'd like to hear abut it.  If anyone can beat that, I'd sure like to meet the guy (or gal) :-).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kingtut said:

As I sat on the sidelines at Roy Williams field watching the Linton Miners practice last evening It occurred to me that I was starting my tenth decade of watching my Miners practice and play on that hallowed piece of turf.  As a small boy in the 1930's I lived near Oliphant Field as it was then known and spent nearly all of my time at the field during football season.  The Linton field was named after Elmer Oliphant, Linton's most famous sports graduate.  Although his memory has faded many of his national football records still stand at Purdue and West point.  I suggest you Google Elmer Oliphant and read for yourselves.  But I badly digress.  That's the way with us old-timers.  I know I shouldn't blow my own horn as they say. But I'm still playing my trumpet and I first played in the marching band on that field 76 years ago in 1944.  Anyway, I've watched Linton Miner football in every decade from the 1930's up until now, the 1020's.  I've seen some exhilarating highs and some horrible lows and everything in between.  I've seen practices this season and the scrimmage last week so this season is in the books.  I won't be traveling to Southridge this evening although I'll be watching on my big screen via the Greene County Sports Network.  I hate to not be there.  I rarely miss a game but these are unusual times.  The verdict is still out on this year's Miner team as it is with most teams before the first game.  We've got some good-looking young kids that lack varsity experience.  I know Linton has a great coaching staff that has been together for many years.  If the miners take their lumps tonight at Southridge,  that'll just be a step in getting better.  

Now about that ten decades,  if anyone can tie that I'd like to hear abut it.  If anyone can beat that, I'd sure like to meet the guy (or gal) :-).

Congrats to you Tut!  I am not from Linton and moved there in 1995.  So I have been following the Miners for 25 years.  My son played for Coach Weber his first 3 years at Linton as head coach.   In just my 25 years there have been highs and lows and in betweens also.  So for a non native, 25 years is pretty good.   I usually get to games in person but this year will probably different.  But then again, it isn't bad listening to Dan and Darren on the radio.  Enjoy, my friend!

1 hour ago, wvigo13 said:

Congrats!! I do miss our games against those Miner teams. Wish we still played. Was always a game we looked forward to. It was our hardest hitting game of the season. Best of luck this season!!

I agree.  It's too bad that series ended.

• Like 1