Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Congrats To:

14 hours ago, Lysander said:

Congrats to:

5A

Whiteland (Darrin Fisher) who ended the season as #2 in 5A per Sagarin.  My only thoughts are: (a) job well done; (b) sucks to be South in 5A with Cathedral (otherwise a likely Lucas Oil trip) and (c) Jet Sweep, Jet Sweep, Jet Sweep.

4A

Roncalli (John Rodenberg) who ended the season as #2 in 4A per Sagarin.  Between their coach (who has some modest experience with parochials) and their constant team improvement, I consider them the favorite to represent the South at LOS.  In any event, I expect the 4A South Semi-State to be the State Championship....don’t let me down.

3A

Mishawaka Marian (Mike Davidson) who ended the season as #2 in 3A per Sagarin.  They compiled an undefeated season (7-0) against some of the best teams (All Classes) that North Central Indiana has to offer (Mishawaka, Penn.....freaking PENN!!!).  It’s hard to be any more dominant as a 3A team (add that one of your late 70s State Championship team’s running backs stood for me post Butler U. in my wedding back in those long gone days...love the Knights...love Bill Baker).

I invite anyone else to join in....but I thought these teams needed to be called out.

I think Coach Ralph and New Pal might have something to say about Whiteland being given the sectional title already and I know Coach Kirschner and the Mauraders have something to say about giving Roncalli the regional title.  That said I'd favor Whiteland over New Pal based mostly on depth and health but they won't lie down for Whiteland.   And I'd favor Mt. Vernon slightly over Roncalli in a regional at this point.  Should be fun in both circumstances. 

2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Congrats to Southridge who just finished their first Undefeated Regular Season in school history. Crazy to think that it is just the first time with a successful program like Southridge.

They have a tough Sectional 32 ahead of them with teams like Mt. Vernon (Posey), and Gibson Southern standing in the way of another deep tournament run. 

After 2 seasons in 3A due to the success factor, Southridge will be back in 2A next year for the 2021 Season.

If they win regional and get 2 points I believe they will stay up in 3a next year

Hail Knights Armor!  Congrats to 3a Norwell in 8-1 regular season.  Want to avoid getting on the dreaded “contraction” list?  Get a coach and staff that will invest in the program from youth to varsity and rally around ur young athletes.  Might take a few years to come together.

https://www.journalgazette.net/sports/high-schools/20201017/knights-stage-big-comeback-win

1 hour ago, dmizers3 said:

I think Coach Ralph and New Pal might have something to say about Whiteland being given the sectional title already and I know Coach Kirschner and the Mauraders have something to say about giving Roncalli the regional title.  That said I'd favor Whiteland over New Pal based mostly on depth and health but they won't lie down for Whiteland.   And I'd favor Mt. Vernon slightly over Roncalli in a regional at this point.  Should be fun in both circumstances. 

No doubt that, but it’s nice to see Fisher and his kids do well and get some acclaim.  Over the years, I’ve felt they’ve been oft-overlooked.

As to a Roncalli, they have come from a fairly dark place both institutionally and organizationally in a very short time and I certainly wouldn’t want to be playing them at this point.  I, personally, still have some deep issue as to how the school and the Archdiocese have chose to handle themselves this last year (and, likely, going forward) but that doesn’t diminish what Rodenberg and his kids and coaches have done these past few months.  They could very well end up hoisting blue this year.

That said, I’m a fan of both Kirschner (and even more so of Mike Gillin and Bob Denton at Mooresville) and would be happy for any one of several 4A teams to come out of the South  (including East Central who was a rival in my HS days).

If I have any issue at all with Mt. Vernon, as a poor ol’ country kid from SE Indiana, it’s the whole “Geist” component (HSE “light”)...although I, admittedly, live there these days.  That said, Mike Kirschner is a totally class guy and a heckuva coach.

4A is going to be really fun to watch this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdue Pete said:

If they win regional and get 2 points I believe they will stay up in 3a next year

Yep.  I honestly expect them to garner those 2 points this year.  They have to be one of the favorites coming out of the South to show up at LOS.

I, admittedly, have some personal attachment to seeing either GS or Lawrenceburg coming out of the South but it’s going to be fun to watch the 3A South playoffs unfold....much like 4A.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1