Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  48 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Takeaways from the second Indiana governor debate, including more Holcomb vs. Rainwater

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/27/indiana-governor-race-takeaways-second-debate/3756516001/

During their second and final debate Tuesday, Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb, Democratic candidate Dr. Woody Myers and Libertarian Donald Rainwater disagreed on a host of issues, including police reform, legalizing marijuana and redistricting. 

Nadia Brown, an assistant professor of political science and African American studies at Purdue University, moderated the event. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, she and the three candidates were once again in separate areas of the studio. There was no live audience.

The Indiana Debate Commission held the event at the WFYI-TV studios. 

Holcomb in the second debate again seemed to pay more attention to his Libertarian opponent than to Myers.

Rainwater has gained the attention of right-wing voters with his opposition to Holcomb's handling of the coronavirus pandemic, including the mask mandate and business shutdowns. 

A poll released Tuesday before the debate by Washington, D.C.-based Cygnal indicated that Rainwater had 15% of the vote, which is high for a third-party candidate. Holcomb was ahead at 47%, with Myers at 29%. The survey was conducted with 600 likely voters from Oct. 21-23 and had a 4 percentage point margin of error, according to a news release. 

In the early moments of the debate, Myers and Rainwater criticized the governor's handling of the coronavirus pandemic. Myers said the governor hasn't been aggressive enough. Rainwater, though, criticized the governor's decision to shut down much of the economy, especially in the early days of the health crisis. He said it led to job losses. 

Holcomb chose to target the Libertarian with his rebuttal. 

"Back when we hunkered down for about a month in April, we have bounced back," Holcomb said.

At another point, Rainwater accused Holcomb of spending taxpayer money to go overseas to places such as China to build economic development that could better be used on matters at home. 

Holcomb is against legalizing marijuana in any way. He said he can't square away passing a state law legalizing the drug because that would contradict federal law. 

"I've taken a couple of oaths in my lifetime," he said, "one when I was in the United States Navy and another when I was sworn into this office. I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which laws to legalize at the state level while they are illegal at the federal level." 

He said he has written to the federal government to say more study is needed to see whether the drug is safe or harmful to use. Until it's deemed safe, he said he is against legalizing a controlled substance as a means to create revenue or just because 34 other states have done so. 

Myers and Rainwater both disagreed. Myers would legalize marijuana for medicinal use and decriminalize recreational possession of small amounts. Rainwater would legalize it for both medicinal and recreational use. 

"I've read the literature carefully," Myers said, "and I know for a fact there are conditions that respond to the cannabinoids. It's time to allow Indiana physicians to be able to prescribe these substances for their patients." 

Rainwater said new agricultural, manufacturing and retail opportunities would help the economy. 

"Any discussion about needing to research something that has been around for decades," Rainwater said, "is misinformation and frankly should be insulting to Hoosiers." 

Sorry Mr. Holcomb,  your reasoning against marijuana decriminalization is a copout, plain and simple.   Apparently you are still getting your state marching orders from Mr. Pence.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/27/indiana-governor-race-takeaways-second-debate/3756516001/

Sorry Mr. Holcomb,  your reasoning against marijuana decriminalization is a copout, plain and simple.   Apparently you are still getting your state marching orders from Mr. Pence.

Holcomb is a Pence sock puppet.

• Like 1