Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Saw Some Great Officiating

Bobref

Question

Man, I saw some outstanding officiating yesterday. I was camped in front of the TV most of the day, switching around. We hear about it all the time when somebody throws a phantom OPI flag that "costs Purdue the game." Let's hear it for some outstanding plays:

• In the Tennessee - Vanderbilt game, Sarah Fowler became the first woman in history to score a point in a Power 5 game when she kicked an extra point. The deep wing official on the Vanderbilt sideline had the presence of mind to retrieve that ball, and work his way through the crowd that was congratulating her on the sideline and give her that football. You know that's something the crew talked about beforehand. That's just a great piece of officiating.
  • In the Florida - LSU game, on Florida's final drive that ended in the missed field goal, the attempt was set up by a 30+ yd. pass play in which Trask threw a bullet to a crossing receiver and, somehow, the Umpire avoided getting hit by that ball. You could see he was anticipating it, and at the last second he turned like a matador as the pass went by like a speeding bullet. Missed him by inches. Great game awareness.
  • Of course, the best bit of officiating goes to the crew in the Ball State - Western Michigan game. If you didn't see the craziness that ensued at the end of that ballgame, you're missing something. Watch the crew on the play. Totally disciplined, staying in their assigned areas, flowing as necessary. Then the calm and very clear way the Referee explained why the game was over. Great work in a real pressure situation, as the winner of that game advances to the MAC championship game.

Chime in with some outstanding officiating that you've seen recently.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Man, I saw some outstanding officiating yesterday. I was camped in front of the TV most of the day, switching around. We hear about it all the time when somebody throws a phantom OPI flag that "costs Purdue the game." Let's hear it for some outstanding plays:

• In the Tennessee - Vanderbilt game, Sarah Fowler became the first woman in history to score a point in a Power 5 game when she kicked an extra point. The deep wing official on the Vanderbilt sideline had the presence of mind to retrieve that ball, and work his way through the crowd that was congratulating her on the sideline and give her that football. You know that's something the crew talked about beforehand. That's just a great piece of officiating.
  • In the Florida - LSU game, on Florida's final drive that ended in the missed field goal, the attempt was set up by a 30+ yd. pass play in which Trask threw a bullet to a crossing receiver and, somehow, the Umpire avoided getting hit by that ball. You could see he was anticipating it, and at the last second he turned like a matador as the pass went by like a speeding bullet. Missed him by inches. Great game awareness.
  • Of course, the best bit of officiating goes to the crew in the Ball State - Western Michigan game. If you didn't see the craziness that ensued at the end of that ballgame, you're missing something. Watch the crew on the play. Totally disciplined, staying in their assigned areas, flowing as necessary. Then the calm and very clear way the Referee explained why the game was over. Great work in a real pressure situation, as the winner of that game advances to the MAC championship game.

Thanks Bob. I will have to watch the final 2 bullet points. The first bullet point, while awesome, really won’t help me become a better official. Hope that makes sense without sounding arrogant. I think you bringing it up, sheds light to us officials that missed it or couldn’t watch it. 

Neo (Matrix) style. LOVE it. 

I will have to catch this. 

44 minutes ago, Bobref said:

In the LSU game before LSU kicked the winning fg they ran that terrible play to the sideline that resulted in loss yards then there was a bad scramble but Florida called a timeout. When they came back somehow LSU was in the middle of field? Rewatch that winning kick. How was the ball now in the middle of the field and not the hash?

6 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

In the LSU game before LSU kicked the winning fg they ran that terrible play to the sideline that resulted in loss yards then there was a bad scramble but Florida called a timeout. When they came back somehow LSU was in the middle of field? Rewatch that winning kick. How was the ball now in the middle of the field and not the hash?

Go and re-read the purpose of this thread.