Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  47 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Cancer Sucks.

TheStatGuy

As some of you know, my mother was diagnosed with stage 3 stomach cancer on December 9th 2019 (you all on john harrells really know this). She was declared cancer free in June after her stomach surgery...that only lasted a few months when she was diagnosed with stomach cancer again on November 23rd.. This time however it was far worse.. At first the Dr said she would only have a few months but by the time November 29th came, it was changed to a few days to few weeks. 

I saw my mother rapidly decline.. A woman that was very loving, caring, bull headed and spoke her mind (now you see where i get it from) started to lose physical strength but her spirit was still there. I couldn't be physically in the room the final week of her life but I talked to her on the phone, saw her through a window as well and on face time. 

She went through absolute hell and finally passed away on December 9th. 17 days shy of her 58th birthday.  I am 33 years old and no longer have either parent (dad died when i was 14), i am an only child by birth (i had a half brother die due to miscarriage by my dads ex wife in 1975). 

So im asking you all.. If you have your parents still.. Give them a call.. If at family get togethers and its picture time.  Take photos with them, or your significant other and children. I was one that wasn't for photos...and I only have 2 adult photos with my mom, taking almost 10 years apart. Her birthday is the day after xmas and 6 days before her and my step dads wedding anniversary. 

I will be stepping aside from the digest for a few weeks...because well this is hitting me very hard. My parents were my best friends (how many children could say that?). I hope everyone has a nice December. Ill be back by January or so 

Take care. 

Kreigh Hook. 

• Like 6

TSG - I hate hearing people suffering like your mother had to, and it's gotta be tough especially right before Christmas.  58 is too young (IMHO). 

I've lost both of my parents.  My father married my wife and I in 1988, then passed away 45 days later at 63.  If you don't believe in divine intervention, so be it, but I do and knowing I would have never left home with my mother alone after Dad's passing, I know Mrs. Swordfish was sent my way for a purpose. 

My Mom passed last year at 92 after multiple strokes.  She had a great long life and I just feel blessed that she was able to meet and be a part of my kid's lives.

Buddy, you won't stop missing your parents.  Not one day goes by that I don't think of both of my parents.  And you probably feel pretty lost right now, but I will tell you this, it will get easier.  You have to be thankful for the years you were able to spend with your mom, cherish the memories, remember the lessons she taught and steel yourself for the next pages to be written in your life. 

You and I will probably never see eye to eye politically, but from one human being to another, best wishes man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...