Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 2 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

We got out of the first week pretty clean. The technical difficulties with the Forum prevented me from posting this earlier. But if you had issues, or questions, bring them here. Bellyaching is fine … as long as the details accompany it … so we can show you where you’re wrong. 🤣

2 answers to this question

Late to the Week 2 party, but I was reminded of an issue watching replays.

On a kickoff, a line drive kick bounces off R1's shoulder pad at the R 15 YL and rolls three yards into the endzone where it is picked up by R2 and returned to the R 35 YL. Call on the field was 1-10 at the R 35 YL.

My understanding was that a muffed or non-possesed kick was treated as a regular kick and ruled a touchback as soon as it crossed the plane of the goal line. What is the correct call?

And, as a follow up, would it be a touchback had the second returner picked up the ball at the half-yard line with his back foot in the endzone? Again, it is my understanding that the BALL is the important factor, not the position of the player.

25 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

Late to the Week 2 party, but I was reminded of an issue watching replays.

On a kickoff, a line drive kick bounces off R1's shoulder pad at the R 15 YL and rolls three yards into the endzone where it is picked up by R2 and returned to the R 35 YL. Call on the field was 1-10 at the R 35 YL.

My understanding was that a muffed or non-possesed kick was treated as a regular kick and ruled a touchback as soon as it crossed the plane of the goal line. What is the correct call?

And, as a follow up, would it be a touchback had the second returner picked up the ball at the half-yard line with his back foot in the endzone? Again, it is my understanding that the BALL is the important factor, not the position of the player.

You are correct on both statements. The first one should have been a touchback and the second one live ball as long as the ball hasn't crossed the goal line plane. The location of the feet is irrelevant in relation to the goal line.

• Thanks 1