Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Inside the Bubble - Week 3

Gone are the days of playing Penn and Lafayette Jeff. No more Chatard or Cathedral. Carmel and Cincy LaSalle a thing of the past. Ohio Hartely and Leo no more. The SAC is playing inside a bubble and interest in this conference from other areas of the state seems to be fading. So this is a new thread to talk about some Fort Wayne football, arguably the best in the state pound for pound.

Takes from last Friday in poll format:

1.   Dwenger - I've said it before, I'll say it again. Defense wins championships. Dwenger plays defense as good as anyone in the state. Add to that some pretty good players on offense, and the Saints are your top team in the SAC after two weeks.

2.  Homestead - I keep waiting for the Spartans to fall back to mediocrity, but they seem to have other plans. Certainly they can't 3-peat? They haven't gotten into the meat of their schedule yet, but so far they look as good as any. Luers will be their first major test this Friday night.

3.  Bishop Luers - How bout them Knights! The little 2A school (save it for another thread) climbs into the top three in a conference loaded with 5 & 6A programs. They're back and without a morsel of a doubt the team to beat in 2A. Huge test against Homestead on Friday.

4.  Carroll - Good bounce back win for the Chargers. They were pretty much written off after losing to a 2A program, but bounced back nicely against a pretty good Snider team. Defense actually looked pretty decent for a change.

5.   Snider - Still a long way to go, but capable of beating any team north of Westfield. 

6.   North Side - The Redskins, I mean Legends, could be very good by seasons end. Actually they are pretty good now, they just need to get healthy. A record of  7-2 isn't completely out of question for this team. 

7.   Wayne - They've had the misfortune of opening against Dwenger and Luers. Although neither game was very close, it doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad team. What happened to them the first two weeks could have happened to 90% of teams statewide. 

8.   Concordia - Not sure what happened against Homestead after handling what appears to be a decent South Side team. Maybe the Spartans are just that good. They may have gotten waxed on Friday night, but I'm not ruling them out of a 3A run just yet. 

9.   South Side - Was anyone expecting them to beat Northrop after the Bruins gave Homestead all they could handle for a half? Nope. Kudos to the Archers, maybe they are turning the corner. 

10.  Northrop - Head scratcher. 

1)Homestead- until someone beats them...they will continue with their bell..ringing up victories along the way..the hounds of ft wayne?

2)Luers- they earned it n will be a nice matchup with #1 this week..they are proving what a team with purpose can do..others should take note..

3)Dwenger- the legends were missing a few athletes..notably their game changer..yet dwenger just wore them down n the hits just kept coming..whew...

4)Carroll- dinan always got the ball to his best weapons as an oc n does the same as a hc..he will torch u until u take it away..reason why coach k has the knights slated @#2

5)Concordia- they move up only due to being an unknown..sparty spanked em yet they have rung many a bell the last two seasons..

6)Snider- they have the athletes yet will not win games due to their jerseys..the ranking may slight them..until they prove otherwise..6-4 awaits

7)North side- where did everyone go? Create a rival with all programs if thats what it takes to be competitive..hopefully fan support remains strong n they get their leaders back

8)South side- almost made top 7. Can they arise to the occasion when only playing their public counterparts? Show up every week n move up..

9)Northrop- one step forward..two steps back..one week they're over 80 kids..the next week 70..will the bruins ever decide if they wanna be a legit contender in football?

10)Wayne- haydock has the brain..does he have the buy in? Early results say no yet I know he is working the hallways n don't be shocked if he pulls talent outta nowhere in September..

4 hours ago, BLKnights7 said:

Homestead has earned and should be number one until Dwenger beats them. The SAC really needs to figure it out in regards to scheduling outside of conference. I'm sure there are numerous programs more than willing to add an SAC team to the schedule. 

I understand and respect what you are saying, but I think a poll should be in the moment, not what a team did the year before. That being said, Homestead hasn't done anything to warrant losing their spot at the top, but the Saints just look awfully darn good. Two lines of thought here. It's all good.