Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MaxPreps - IHSAA Stats

So just curious - 

In looking at Indiana High School football teams on MaxPreps the last few years, some teams have statistics posted and some do not.

Is there an expectation that teams do this, or that is up to each school whether they post statistics or not?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

53 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

So just curious - 

In looking at Indiana High School football teams on MaxPreps the last few years, some teams have statistics posted and some do not.

Is there an expectation that teams do this, or that is up to each school whether they post statistics or not?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

There is an expectation from the IHSAA that schools post stats on MaxPreps. Don't post stats to MaxPreps, your players don't get listed in the state leaders, et al. It seems most coaches in our area (Central Indiana) use them. 

Some schools guard their statistics like state secrets because making them public might aid opponents in scouting (even though *every single opponent* likely has most, if not all, of your games on film, has run them through Hudl Assist and not only do they know your stats, they know all of your formations, tendencies, et al). 

Prior to a tournament game a few years ago, the visiting coach sent me his stats - likely in part because he trusted me because of a mutual friend in the media (and I did not break that trust - I did not share them with anyone prior to gameday). An hour or so before the game, I had them at my broadcast position in the press box and virtually media member from that team's region came over and started taking photos of them because they had never seen that team's stats and they were useful to help determine all-county/region status. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

There is an expectation from the IHSAA that schools post stats on MaxPreps. Don't post stats to MaxPreps, your players don't get listed in the state leaders, et al. It seems most coaches in our area (Central Indiana) use them. 

Some schools guard their statistics like state secrets because making them public might aid opponents in scouting (even though *every single opponent* likely has most, if not all, of your games on film, has run them through Hudl Assist and not only do they know your stats, they know all of your formations, tendencies, et al). 

Prior to a tournament game a few years ago, the visiting coach sent me his stats - likely in part because he trusted me because of a mutual friend in the media (and I did not break that trust - I did not share them with anyone prior to gameday). An hour or so before the game, I had them at my broadcast position in the press box and virtually media member from that team's region came over and started taking photos of them because they had never seen that team's stats and they were useful to help determine all-county/region status. 

Back to the old days of Saturday road trips for tape exchanges on little abandoned highways in Nowheresville, Indiana. Interesting tales about games being (poorly) recorded over home videos, coaches "forgetting" to fix the tracking so the provided film was partially unviewable, and lists of coaches/programs who were not exactly forthright in exchanging decent quality films.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Back to the old days of Saturday road trips for tape exchanges on little abandoned highways in Nowheresville, Indiana. Interesting tales about games being (poorly) recorded over home videos, coaches "forgetting" to fix the tracking so the provided film was partially unviewable, and lists of coaches/programs who were not exactly forthright in exchanging decent quality films.

Remember those days well. My first year in media, I was told of a local coach who apparently had a reputation for ordering uniforms that were intentionally difficult to see on film ... so he started putting his two-deep in with the films, which was apparently uncommon at the time. 

I see it more in basketball - the same coaches whose uniforms are almost impossible to see on film (usually, because they have the soon-to-be-illegal "outline numbers" where the numbers are the same color as the jersey, with only an outline; but less common, a dark number on a dark jersey - even red/blue combos are hard to see on film) are 99.9999% likely to *not* put their stats on MaxPreps.