Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

National Scoreboard - December 15 - 17

We are done.     Still amazed at the size of the crowds in the Texas finals.

FLORIDA –

Class 4M

#19 Miami Columbus (14-1)                  16             (12) Apopka (9-4)          13         

Class 4S

#22 Lakeland (14-0)           21             (15) Venice (9-4)                 14

Class 3M

#5 Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas (14-0)         38            #69 Homestead (11-3)                21

Class 3S

Lake Wales (15-0)               32          Daytona Beach Mainland (11-4)             30      

Class 2M

#4 Miami Central (14-0)          38           #12 Plantation American Heritage (12-2)                31

TEXAS –

Class 6A-II Final –

#33 DeSoto (14-2)            42             #41 Austin Vandegrift (14-2)                17

Class 6A-I Final –

#9 Duncanville (15-0)                28           #6 Galena Park North Shore (15-1)            21        

Class 5A-II Final –

#96 Dallas South Oak Cliff (13-3)          34              Port Neches-Groves (13-3)               24

Class 5A-I Final –

#83 Aledo (13-2)             52              (18) College Station (13-3)                  14    

Class 4A-II Final –

(15) Carthage (16-0)           42          Wimberley (15-1)               0

Class 4A-I Final

(18) China Spring (15-1)                 24             Boerne (15-1)           21         

Class 3A-II Final

Gunter (16-0)          42           Poth (14-2)               7

Class 3A-I Final

Franklin (16-0)          17           Brock (11-5)               14

Class 2A-I Final

Hawley (16-0)           54         Refugio (14-2)            28

Class 2A-II Final

Albany (14-2)           41         Mart (15-1)                21

GEICO STATE CHAMPIONS BOWL SERIES (ESPN)   4:00pm

#3 Las Vegas (NV) Bishop Gorman (14-1)           49         #7 Hollywood (FL) Chaminade-Madonna (13-1)                14

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

We are done.     Still amazed at the size of the crowds in the Texas finals.

Class 5A-I Final –

#83 Aledo (13-2)             52              (18) College Station (13-3)                  14    

Class 2A-I Final

Hawley (16-0)           54         Refugio (14-2)            28

Class 2A-II Final

Albany (14-2)           41         Mart (15-1)                21

Looks like Hawley and Albany have slain the giants, while Aledo is the stuff of myth and legend.

St. Aug's loss to DeSoto earlier in the season looks pretty respectable in light of DeSoto's thrashing of fellow-6A Vandegrift.

Hats off to SOC too for its back-to-back wins this season and last.  Since the age of suburban dominance, it's the only DISD school to win a state championship in almost three-quarters of a century.

20 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Looks like Hawley and Albany have slain the giants, while Aledo is the stuff of myth and legend.

St. Aug's loss to DeSoto earlier in the season looks pretty respectable in light of DeSoto's thrashing of fellow-6A Vandegrift.

Hats off to SOC too for its back-to-back wins this season and last.  Since the age of suburban dominance, it's the only DISD school to win a state championship in almost three-quarters of a century.

You are now my go to source for Texas high school football.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:42 AM, foxbat said:

Very true.  Both were big time underdogs and punched the favorites in the mouth.

The previous week (semi's), Hawley beat a local (to me) team, Crawford.  My kid's school plays Crawford every year and they are always tough.  They seemed to always have our number.  Hawley's semi-state win vs. Crawford was by 14 pts; their state win vs. Refugio was by 26 points, nearly double.  The game vs. Crawford was very close throughout and only in the 4th did Hawley pull away when Crawford had to sub due to injuries.  Hawley was in control vs. Refugio from the start and the guys I talked to that either went to the game or watched on TV said Hawley's lead was never in doubt.  Many here feel like the de facto state championship was the previous week vs. Crawford.  Fun fact: Refugio is not pronounced like it's spelled.  It's pronounced "Refurio".  The story behind it is kinda funny if you're ever looking for something to Google.

Albany vs. Mart, yeah that did not go according to plan AT ALL.  Mart is the Texas 2A, Div. II version of Center Grove (IN) or Aledo (TX).  Nobody, I mean nobody, saw that one coming.  Not even the Albany people were predicting a woodshedding like what took place.  The score does not accurately show how lopsided the game really was, according to those who were there.

15-18 year old kids, go figure.

Edited by Bonecrusher

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

Very true.  Both were big time underdogs and punched the favorites in the mouth.

The previous week (semi's), Hawley beat a local (to me) team, Crawford.  My kid's school plays Crawford every year and they are always tough.  They seemed to always have our number.  Hawley's semi-state win vs. Crawford was by 14 pts; their state win vs. Refugio was by 26 points, nearly double.  The game vs. Crawford was very close throughout and only in the 4th did Hawley pull away when Crawford had to sub due to injuries.  Hawley was in control vs. Refugio from the start and the guys I talked to that either went to the game or watched on TV said Hawley's lead was never in doubt.  Many here feel like the de facto state championship was the previous week vs. Crawford.  Fun fact: Refugio is not pronounced like it's spelled.  It's pronounced "Refurio".  The story behind it is kinda funny if you're ever looking for something to Google.

Albany vs. Mart, yeah that did not go according to plan AT ALL.  Mart is the Texas 2A, Div. II version of Center Grove (IN) or Aledo (TX).  Nobody, I mean nobody, saw that one coming.  Not even the Albany people were predicting a woodshedding like what took place.  The score does not accurately show how lopsided the game really was, according to those who were there.

15-18 year old kids, go figure.

I knew about the Refugio pronunciation.  There are lots of places in Texas that have off-sounds on the city/town names.  I always like Waxahachie, Seguin, Mexia, Nacogdoches, and of course, Luckenbach.

Like you said, with 15-18 year old kids, it's not smart to bet the farm.  Depends on what side of the bed they get up on ... even if there bed is up against a wall. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

I knew about the Refugio pronunciation.  There are lots of places in Texas that have off-sounds on the city/town names.  I always like Waxahachie, Seguin, Mexia, Nacogdoches, and of course, Luckenbach.

Like you said, with 15-18 year old kids, it's not smart to bet the farm.  Depends on what side of the bed they get up on ... even if there bed is up against a wall. 🙂

When were looking at houses just prior to our move to TX, I got caught mis-pronouncing Mexia when I saw it on a highway sign.  The realtor corrected me immediately.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

When were looking at houses just prior to our move to TX, I got caught mis-pronouncing Mexia when I saw it on a highway sign.  The realtor corrected me immediately.

And the state name just sets you up to mispronounce it too.

• Like 1

I did pick one winner correctly, though.  Texas 4A-DI China Spring beat Boerne 24-21.  CS went into halftime down 21-0, came out and scored 24 unanswered points.  Game winner was a 20-something yard FG kicked with I think 3 seconds left on the clock.  They are next to the school district my kids went to, so always pulling for them to do well.  They won state last year, so a nice repeat win.