Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 Conference Indiana (what's left of it)

@ptr Do you have an ht subscription? Just curious if there had been any write ups with updates on the panthers injuries or whatnot? Truly, i dont like this week . Every year I get salty and won't hardly even listen to this game. I'll never accept the school boards districting policy.   One of these fine days well get common sense districting back ! I grew up near monroe hospital . Norths district is now right across the street from there ... 

50 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

@ptr Do you have an ht subscription? Just curious if there had been any write ups with updates on the panthers injuries or whatnot? Truly, i dont like this week . Every year I get salty and won't hardly even listen to this game. I'll never accept the school boards districting policy.   One of these fine days well get common sense districting back ! I grew up near monroe hospital . Norths district is now right across the street from there ... 

Yes, I do have a subscription to the HTO. They had an article on the game today, but there was no mention of injuries for either team, and the only significant injury that I'm aware of for the Panthers is the Week 1 injury to the center.

They alluded to the obvious fact that this will be the toughest opponent to date for either team. This game promises to be South's speed against North's passing game which has been their bread and butter so far. Can South's speed pressure North's Dash King enough to throw the passing game off?

South has not turned the ball over so far this season against overmatched opponents and they have held opponents to just 101 total yards on the ground. Alley is completing 78% of his passes. I believe Gavin Adams has rushed for over 100 yards in all three games so far, and I know for a fact he did in the last two games. D'Andre Black and Lucas Waldon have been dangerous receivers for the Panthers so far, and Waldon is also a weapon on special teams as a return man. 

North's Dash King is completing 62% of his passes so far and is a physical runner who has been dangerous in the red zone with his running so far on the season. The Cougars did not turn the ball over against THS last week and they had just three penalties on the game, but their game against BNL was just the opposite of that with multiple turnovers and penalties. 

South will have the edge on the kicking game with Bryce Taylor's strong leg. He put five kickoffs against THN in the end zone last week, and his 42-yard FG last week would have been good from beyond 50 yards. He is also a strong punter. North has had their primary kicker for just one game so far, but he is listed on their two-deep for this game. 

South knows Dash King well when they faced him twice last season and they held North to just single digits in both games. They also held in check North's star running back in Cody Mikulich who had huge rushing games last season, and he has graduated. They have some good runners based on what I've read, but none that have put Mikulich's numbers up so far. 

South absolutely could lose this game, but I think South is the more complete team and has more speed than North, and that will be the difference.

I grew up on the southeast side of town, and just a stone's throw from where Rex Grossman grew up, and the school buses in that area to include Hyde Park only go to North, with kids having to travel clear across town to get to and from school. At least that was the way it was in the recent past. There are quite a few private/charter schools in the area now, and one of my nieces and her husband who live on the east side, send their three kids to the Seven Oaks Classical School. 

40 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

@ptr @MuleDriver

Does most of the student population in MCCSC live near South? If so, why was North built where it was?

yes. most folks live closer to south than north i believe north was built there  because the land was donated...

Edited by MuleDriver
spell
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

@ptr @MuleDriver

Does most of the student population in MCCSC live near South? If so, why was North built where it was?

Because of topography, much of the development around Bloomington over the years have been to the southeast, south, and southwest, and somewhat to the west. Development to the east has almost stopped once you get a short ways past SR 446 (Knightridge Road), because of the Lake Monroe watershed that begins in that area and zoning laws do not allow much density at all past there. The terrain to the north is such that there is also low-density zoning laws in those areas with it being extremely hilly and flood prone. 

It wasn't but a few years back, maybe 10 years or so, and with some very liberal people on the school board, it was decided that there was an imbalance between North and South over socio-economic issues with students from more affluent neighborhoods mainly going to South and North having a student population with a high percentage of students from less affluent homes. With most of the development going in the direction of South H.S., they decided to change the school districting to include some very affluent neighborhoods that were actually much, much closer to South. Hyde Park which has very expensive homes was one of those areas that were now included in the North district. That kind of explains why things are kind of out of whack when it comes to where the school districts start and end. It's kind of like you have fingers pointing down toward South H.S. with the students within those fingers going to North.

I used to joke that at some point South's campus would be in North's school district, and it's really not that far off for some areas. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ptr said:

I used to joke that at some point South's campus would be in North's school district, and it's really not that far off for some areas. 

I thought I’d heard that awhile back and wasn’t sure if it was an exaggeration or not. Someone had said they’re in North district despite being able to see South from their house.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ptr said:

some very liberal people on the school board

There was a time  when North was in a different class (4a) and a different conference (hoosier hills) .  But after years and years of South pounding north in sports the city couldn't take it anymore I guess. Really disappointing from the perspective of community pride and such. Lots of those areas had been Panthers since the late 1800s.    

At any rate sensible districting would be 2nd street which turns into bloomfield road and exits monroe county to the west. 2nd street to the east to the mall area ,Then Moores pike where it picks up at the movie theatre on the east side out to 446 then one of the roads to the east of 446 to the brown county border

8 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

There was a time  when North was in a different class (4a) and a different conference (hoosier hills) .  But after years and years of South pounding north in sports the city couldn't take it anymore I guess. Really disappointing from the perspective of community pride and such. Lots of those areas had been Panthers since the late 1800s.    

At any rate sensible districting would be 2nd street which turns into bloomfield road and exits monroe county to the west. 2nd street to the east to the mall area ,Then Moores pike where it picks up at the movie theatre on the east side out to 446 then one of the roads to the east of 446 to the brown county border

Your districting suggestion is certainly reasonable, but with the current makeup of the school board, there is no chance of anything like that happening. Back when they starting trying to "correct" what they said was an imbalance between South and North, they solely used statistics based on the number of students at North that qualified to receive free or reduced priced lunches versus South which had far fewer students receiving free/reduced price lunches. That was when they started cherry picking areas to the south as North districting areas. 

2 hours ago, ptr said:

I don't know. I never used it in the past.

Well that game was exciting for the city and the media and the school board. They Re getting what they wanted equal high schools 

Lame ... 

As for the actual game

How do you do that if your souths center. Sounds like he cost south several third and long situations.  I'm still not convinced either team deserves a top 5 ranking.... 

1 minute ago, MuleDriver said:

Well that game was exciting for the city and the media and the school board. They Re getting what they wanted equal high schools 

Lame ... 

As for the actual game

How do you do that if your souths center. Sounds like he cost south several third and long situations.  I'm still not convinced either team deserves a top 5 ranking.... 

I didn't know it when the game started, but that was a third string center in the game and what happened to the center that replaced Eller in the Game 1 is beyond me and probably an injury problem. When he wasn't snapping the ball over Alley's head, he was snapping them high with Alley having to reach up or jump up to snare them, and that played huge in how the game turned out. The first TD by North came after a high snap went over Alley's head on a 3rd down that went down near the goal line and forced the Panthers to kick from the back of their end zone setting North up with a very short field TD. The 2nd TD by them was nothing but good fortune when North punted and it was partially blocked going up field a short distance and recovered by North for a first down. They scored after that, although South still had a chance to stop them, but let a wide open receiver take the ball down near the goal line. North did play pretty good defense for much of the game so we have to give them credit for that. 

27 minutes ago, ptr said:

North did play pretty good defense for much of the game so we have to give them credit for that. 

Yeah they played good d with a lot of kids that should be at south had the districts not been well as you know... 

Announcer Dave Novak for wgcl said that one of souths olineman  Name is Wynter Sons was out of the game also... looks like the injuries are starting to take hold again.....  Ah well.....  Not convinced either of those teams are top 5 .... 

19 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

Yeah they played good d with a lot of kids that should be at south had the districts not been well as you know... 

Announcer Dave Novak for wgcl said that one of souths olineman  Name is Wynter Sons was out of the game also... looks like the injuries are starting to take hold again.....  Ah well.....  Not convinced either of those teams are top 5 .... 

Yeah. You know, I don't think I have ever seen a game where the snaps from the center affected a game in all four quarters. However, I really feel bad for the kid, and you know he has to feel awful about it. He was pressed into action and he clearly wasn't ready for it. South has some work to do in that area before their next game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptr said:

Yeah. You know, I don't think I have ever seen a game where the snaps from the center affected a game in all four quarters. However, I really feel bad for the kid, and you know he has to feel awful about it. He was pressed into action and he clearly wasn't ready for it. South has some work to do in that area before their next game. 

well good luck to the Panthers. im gonna have to retire as a south fan😄 with the option of   coming out of retirement depending on districting changes  and/or  fixing these injury issues we have 'every' year... Just hard to follow them anymore.  Feel bad for the center also. I read jim gordillos Twitter he haS the stats on there for how many yards were lost because of bad snaps.

@ptr this says 63 yards lost on 3 bad snaps. I listened to the game and there were more bad snaps than that . maybe they didn't lose yards just wound up as incompletions or something..... On a side note joe smith really needs to hang it up. he constantly misidentified the teams qbs and more ... 

5 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

@ptr this says 63 yards lost on 3 bad snaps. I listened to the game and there were more bad snaps than that . maybe they didn't lose yards just wound up as incompletions or something..... On a side note joe smith really needs to hang it up. he constantly misidentified the teams qbs and more ... 

Something is not right with the number of snaps over the head of the Alley. South spent the entire 1st qtr in North territory and it looked like they were going to put a foot on North's throat, but there were three snaps over the head of the QB in the 1st qtr alone which prevented South from taking advantage of their field position in that qtr. There were other snaps over the head of the QB in other quarters and I remember at least five of them on the game, and I watched the game. I don't know what happened to the center they had in there after Eller went down in the first game of the season (injury/illness), but the kid they had in there didn't look like he was on the roster as a center and was pressed into action at that position at the last moment. It looked like he was on on-the-job training at the position as the game wore on. When he wasn't snapping the ball over Alley's head, many of his snaps were high, and with Alley having to corral the high snaps, it slowed the called play down. I feel bad for the kid who was doing his best, but clearly was not a center. With Alley having so many snaps over his head as well as the high snaps, he had to be preoccupied about what kind of snap he was going to get on each down. I feel bad for the kid who filled in there and he has to feel awful about how it went down. I don't think I have ever seen a game where snapping the ball was a major issue for all four qtrs. 

Edited by ptr

44 minutes ago, ptr said:

Something is not right with the number of snaps over the head of the Alley. 

My memory was a little faulty on it. I went back and took another look at the game and there was three bad snaps over the head for huge losses. I counted the play in the 1st qtr where Alley got a high snap and barely got his fingers on it to slow the momentum of the ball which landed about three or four yards behind him. Alley quickly went back and grabbed the ball and threw a hasty ill-advised pass that was intercepted. That bad snap did not go down as a loss of yardage.

• Like 1

Pick'em results for Week 4:

ptr (3-1) - 11-2

Frozen Tundra (3-1) - 10-3

LC_Bears_04 (3-1) - 10-3

Bulldog15 (2-2) - 10-3

MuleDriver (3-1) - 9-4

THPD262 (3-1) - 5-2 (Weeks 3 and 4 only)

There are four games in Week 5:

Bloomington South @ Terre Haute South

Terre Haute North @ Bloomington North

Indy Chatard @ Columbus North

Southport @ Beech Grove

My picks for Week 5:

Bloomington South @ Terre Haute South - The Panthers will have a bad taste in their mouth going into this game, but how that game went down against North kind of tempers my expectations going back to Terre Haute. The Panthers will certainly be working on snapping the ball to the QB this week which was a big factor in their overtime loss to the Cougars. The Braves got a taste of victory by beating their crosstown rival in a shutout win after flirting with a win the previous couple of weeks. I think this game will be competitive, but I'm sticking with my Panthers by 10 points.

Terre Haute North @ Bloomington North - When Bloom. South wasn't shooting themselves in the foot, the Cougars played pretty good defense against the Panthers for the most part. The Patriots have not scored in two straight games, and this could be another game with a big goose egg. Bloomington North by at least five TDs.

Indianapolis Chatard @ Columbus North - I thought the Bull Dogs would give Roncalli a better game than they did and they lost by four TDs, and the Bull Dogs had just 62 yards passing with two picks and 89 yards on the ground for the game. About the only advantage I see them having in this game is having home field advantage. Chatard is 3A No. 1 in both the coaches and AP poll and they have already beaten Roncalli. Chatard by 3 or 4 TDs.

Southport @ Beech Grove - Southport lost big at home to a not very good Pike team. They face another not very good Beech Grove team which is 1-3 at this point. With the Cardinals not being competitive against a bad Pike team, I sure can't see them winning this game on the road. Beech Grove by 3-4 TDs.

2 hours ago, ptr said:

My picks for Week 5:

Bloomington South @ Terre Haute South - The Panthers will have a bad taste in their mouth going into this game, but how that game went down against North kind of tempers my expectations going back to Terre Haute. The Panthers will certainly be working on snapping the ball to the QB this week which was a big factor in their overtime loss to the Cougars. The Braves got a taste of victory by beating their crosstown rival in a shutout win after flirting with a win the previous couple of weeks. I think this game will be competitive, but I'm sticking with my Panthers by 10 points.

Terre Haute North @ Bloomington North - When Bloom. South wasn't shooting themselves in the foot, the Cougars played pretty good defense against the Panthers for the most part. The Patriots have not scored in two straight games, and this could be another game with a big goose egg. Bloomington North by at least five TDs.

Indianapolis Chatard @ Columbus North - I thought the Bull Dogs would give Roncalli a better game than they did and they lost by four TDs, and the Bull Dogs had just 62 yards passing with two picks and 89 yards on the ground for the game. About the only advantage I see them having in this game is having home field advantage. Chatard is 3A No. 1 in both the coaches and AP poll and they have already beaten Roncalli. Chatard by 3 or 4 TDs.

Southport @ Beech Grove - Southport lost big at home to a not very good Pike team. They face another not very good Beech Grove team which is 1-3 at this point. With the Cardinals not being competitive against a bad Pike team, I sure can't see them winning this game on the road. Beech Grove by 3-4 TDs.

This is going to seem like I’m taking a shot at Columbus North but I promise you it’s not. I was not impressed with them when I watched them play East. They won the turnover battle and field-position battle. However, they didn’t march down the length of the field and get TDs. They just took advantage of a ton of mistakes East made. I think they’re average at best. I’m guessing they go 4-5 or 5-4. They’ll lose to Chatard, sweep the Terre Haute schools, and maybe split with the Bloomington schools.

57 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

This is going to seem like I’m taking a shot at Columbus North but I promise you it’s not. I was not impressed with them when I watched them play East. They won the turnover battle and field-position battle. However, they didn’t march down the length of the field and get TDs. They just took advantage of a ton of mistakes East made. I think they’re average at best. I’m guessing they go 4-5 or 5-4. They’ll lose to Chatard, sweep the Terre Haute schools, and maybe split with the Bloomington schools.

I haven't seen the Bull Dogs play in recent seasons except for when they played South, but it seems that they have run hot and cold in games in recent seasons, and you never know which team will show up. I don't know whether they have a young or a veteran team this year. Their new coach Logan Haston (in his 2nd season at the helm) is 7-8 with the team so far. I'm certainly not qualified to comment on their program there since all I do is see the results of the games, but the program seems to have regressed from their previous strong seasons. Are the Bull Dog faithful having buyers regret over bringing in Haston or are they still patient with him and he is still on the honeymoon there so to speak?

13 hours ago, ptr said:

I haven't seen the Bull Dogs play in recent seasons except for when they played South, but it seems that they have run hot and cold in games in recent seasons, and you never know which team will show up. I don't know whether they have a young or a veteran team this year. Their new coach Logan Haston (in his 2nd season at the helm) is 7-8 with the team so far. I'm certainly not qualified to comment on their program there since all I do is see the results of the games, but the program seems to have regressed from their previous strong seasons. Are the Bull Dog faithful having buyers regret over bringing in Haston or are they still patient with him and he is still on the honeymoon there so to speak?

I would think they’re patient and they should be. They also have a younger team this year. Give Haston a few years to get something going. I know it took Gaddis four years before he could catch fire at East. That should be the norm timeframe unless the team regresses drastically.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:53 PM, ptr said:

My memory was a little faulty on it. I went back and took another look at the game and there was three bad snaps over the head for huge losses. I counted the play in the 1st qtr where Alley got a high snap and barely got his fingers on it to slow the momentum of the ball which landed about three or four yards behind him. Alley quickly went back and grabbed the ball and threw a hasty ill-advised pass that was intercepted. That bad snap did not go down as a loss of yardage.

The radio broadcasters called way more than 3 or 4 bad snaps  my guess was that the other snaps weren't over the qbs head and didn't result in anything than maybe a play that didn't execute very well...