Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IFCA Week 2 Coaches Poll

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

So you don't believe defensive coaches can "figure out" an opposing offensive scheme?   If you play the same school every year and and every year they run the same offense don't opposing defensive coaches pick up on certain tendencies and can "coach up" the defense to recognize those tendencies? That is all I was positing.

But in the end it is the Jimmy's and Joe's who trump the X's & O's.    If you don't have the athletes to run your particular offensive or defensive scheme then you are most likely in trouble.

Obviously that's what defensive coaches are trying to do. The offensive coaches are trying to do the same thing, right? I feel like that's the game of chess coaches play. 

You said opposing coaches were starting to figure out Coach Colby's offense. I'm simply pointing out that from 2002-2017 he didn't have a losing season. So he (and that offense) must have been doing something correct. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, coachhagan22 said:

With the exception of driving through Frankfort a handful of times, I don't know much about it. So I don't know the issues Frankfort deals with. However, to suggest rural areas can't compete is simply untrue. Since Frankfort is a 4A school, let's stay in the 4A class and look at this weeks polls. I don't think most would consider Marion, East Central, New Prairie, Northwood, Mississnewa big city/suburb schools. Not to mention the ton of schools that are either competitive or at least cycle through up and down years. Can socioeconomics play a factor? Of course! Do larger cities have a bigger pool of talent? Sure!  Even so, I believe nearly every school is capable of being competitive or at least having a respectable program that may go through cycles occasionally.   

I wasn't suggesting rural areas can't compete. I was noting the demographic changes a number of rural county seats have dealt with. Marion has lost about 30% of its population since its peak and is now a 3A-sized basketball school. Frankfort has lost population. Anderson and Muncie have gone from three high schools to one. Martinsville, Blackford, Jennings County, et al, have seen significant changes. Greensburg & Princeton have been bolstered by Honda & Toyota. That doesn't always translate to "struggle to be successful on the field," but simply noting they're losing population and dealing with economic change, which can change the participation numbers and affect the competitiveness level in sports. 

East Central is exurban Cincinnati. New Prairie sits right between South Bend & Michigan City. NorthWood is a suburb of Elkhart. Mississinewa has absorbed a lot of the people moving from Marion and also serves the biggest employer of highly-educated people in Grant County in IWU. And none are rural county seat schools, which was the original point I made. Places perceived as suburban or exurban are likely going to not deal with the significant socioeconomic changes as county seat schools deal with factory closures and economic change. That's especially because county seats tend to have developed earlier and thus have older housing stock, which isn't as attractive to higher-income residents (who might be more likely to build a newer house in Pendleton or Yorktown than live in Anderson or Muncie), and those higher-income residents have more access to specialized training and programs (and this isn't an issue with football, but with many other sports - travel teams) that can impact a high school team's success. 

6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Because I personally find the benefits of living in a suburban sprawl a bit dubious.  I did it once for 8+ years and couldn't wait to get out.

Then IYHO why is Frankfort a tremendously difficult place to teach?  

Thanks for the candid answer.  

Frankfort was difficult due to the regular reasons of a mixture of behavior, socio-economic issues that  include stress and trauma, and a sketchy discipline system that left with the former AP.  Hopefully things will improve.  

Edited by Robert

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

Thanks for the candid answer.  

Frankfort was difficult due to the regular reasons of a mixture of behavior, socio-economic issues that  include stress and trauma, and a sketchy discipline system that left with the former AP.  Hopefully things will improve.  

Thank you for the candid answer, Robert.   I think things will improve at CSF when the vast majority of the parents/guardians sending their children to it's schools actually give a crap about education and stop viewing the government school as nothing but a taxpayer funded babysitting service for 9 months out of the year.     There is also the ultimate preferred outcome, and that is the complete and utter abolition of government funded education, but baby steps.