Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview with South Adams Head Coach Grant Moser

Guest DT

The Starfires made a glorious run to the 1A title game last year,  losing a heartbreaker 41-40 despite a 480 yard aerial assault.  Coach Moser has several holes to fill but SA will be in the hunt again when the tournament starts

Coach, thanks for taking the time to visit with us at Hoosier High School Football and The Gridiron Digest.

Question 1 :

Certainly Coach, last year was a memorable season for the South Adams program.  Now that you have had plenty of time to absorb reality and look back on the experience for you and your team, what are your best reflections as you look back?

Response

My first take away was how special something like a trip to the State Championship is for a small tight knit community where everyone knows everyone.  Just about all of Southern Adam’s Co seemed to make the trip to Lucas Oil to support us.  We had up to 20k donated without asking to cover everything from hotel rooms and meals for the players, charter busses, and the runner up rings.  It brought the community together during COVID.

Question 2 :

Offensively, you were loaded at the skill positions last year.  How do you replace some of that talent this year, and do you intend to maintain your emphasis on the passing game as you head into the new season.?

Response

We lost our all time career passing leader in James Arnold, our all time career receiving leader in Drew Stutzman, and our all time TFL and sack leader in Nick Miller.  We will be moving 3 year starter at WR Aidan Wanner to QB which will allow us to still spread the field.  This year we will be spreading the field to get Aidan a chance to make some plays with his feet.  

Question 3 :

You have enjoyed a quick build at South Adams since taking over the program, starting 1-9 in 2015 and culminating with last year's 13-1 run, 23-2 over your past two seasons.  The program certainly appears to have achieved "elite" status in Class A.  What were the main building blocks as you built the program, and what is your core philosophy as you work to maintain this level of excellence?

Response

We have had complete buy in from coaches and players.  My entire staff are also Starfire Football alumni which adds to the hunger we have of wanting this program to be successful.  Players have taken leadership roles to the point of holding each other accountable and putting in an enormous amount of time outside of our normal football activities.  I do believe that the culture of a program is constantly changing and it is imperative to fight for the culture that you want everyday.  

Question 4 : 

Northeast Indiana has produced some great teams and some top end individual talent over the years.  There are several very good conferences and some outstanding rivalries exist in the area.  How would you assess the overall quality of NE Indiana football as it relates to the rest of the state, and in particular, the major population centers of Central Indiana?

Response

I think we are sometimes overlooked when it comes to Indiana just because of some of the bigger schools in the Indy area.  I will say there are few things I’ve experienced that are as crazy as Snider vs Dwenger, South Adams vs Adams Central, or Leo vs East Noble when both teams are ranked top 5-10 in the state every year. 

Question 5:

The Allen County Conference is a solid league with a variety of different schools in different classes.  How does the conference help to prepare your team for the post season, and what has changed recently that has propelled your program to new heights over the past two seasons?

Response

It is always a benefit being a 1A school and playing 2A 3A and 4A schools to prepare for the tournament.  Our kids also made it a priority to win the conference in 2019 since we hadn’t won it in 25 years.  They wanted to defend that championship this year and did.

Question 6:

What are your thoughts on the Success Factor, and are you satisfied with the setup of the state tournament?  Would you suggest any changes?

Response

I would like the see the Sectionals seeded with at least the top 2 teams on opposite sides of the bracket.  

Question 7 :

County schools have their specific challenges as it relates to turn out, numbers, practice, travel, game attendance, etc.  You cover a lot of ground, and that can create logistical issues for any program.  How has your program overcome those challenges, and what does it say specifically about the type of kids you have on your roster and in your school?

Response

One of the challenges of a small school is having to recruit within your school for numbers.  I have been lucky with having incredible kids from great families.  As I mentioned earlier, there is something special about Friday nights in a small town where you can hear the cheering and the PA throughout the entire town.  

Question 8:

Coach, you came up 1 point short of a state championship last season.  What are your goals for the 2021 season, and how do you manage expectations after your Lucas Oil experience from last November

Response

The 2020 team had an enormous amount of pressure to make it to Lucas Oil stadium.  I am excited for this year where the pressure is off and we can turn from the hunted into the hunter and surprise some people.

Thanks Coach Moser

unnamed.jpg

p57.jpeg

Just now, temptation said:

Awesome stuff DT.  Would have loved to hear Moser’s philosophy surrounding multi sport athletes, specifically track since South Adams had a great school year in both.

The South Adams people have absolutely blitzed my facebook page with visits to see the Moser interview.  Over 1500 views already.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

The South Adams people have absolutely blitzed my facebook page with visits to see the Moser interview.  Over 1500 views already.  

Awesome. Do you get paid for the clicks?