Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF / GID Interview with Bremen Lions Head Coach Jordan Leeper

Guest DT

HHF Interview with Bremen Lions Head Coach Jordan Leeper

Bremen weathered the Covid storm last season and posted a solid 9-3 record and an appearance in the sectional championship game.  Coach Leeper and his team are looking for more this year.  

Hello Coach Leeper and thank you for joining us at Hoosier High School Football and The Gridiron Digest

Question 1
Summer drills are finally coming to an end and you and your staff are now turning your focus to the opening of a new football season. How would you assess the work your team put in this summer, what were some of the pleasant surprises that bubbled to the surface, and where did you find some challenges that need to be addressed before the opening kickoff?
Response
One of the great things about coaching at Bremen is the tremendous effort put in by players year-round. With a strong group of returning players we were able to hit the ground running in the summer. That same group of players really bought into the summer workouts and put in some great work. We were happy with what we were able to accomplish and excited that we got a full summer schedule. One of the biggest challenges we face at Bremen in the summer is sharing our athletes with other sports. We are excited now that we have our full team available and can work on creating that camaraderie that is needed to be successful. I was surprised by the commitment that our freshmen and sophomores showed during our morning workouts.

Question 2
Despite the challenges that Covid presented last year, your team is coming off a stellar 9-3 campaign, which concluded with a 30-14 sectional final loss to powerhouse Pioneer. What has been your primary focus for this team coming out of last season, and what changes are you implementing to keep the momentum moving forward at Bremen?
Response
Our primary focus has been building a team with a new group of leaders. We could not have asked more of our Seniors from last year. They led the team in every way possible and were challenged with extreme circumstances. We have focused a lot on our incoming Senior class to be the leaders that we need for this team. There are not many changes that we are implementing at this moment. We have our base packages that we install over the summer and then will build off of those to fit the talent of this group.

Question 3
The NIC is one of Indiana's most unique conferences, with schools ranging from 2A all the way up to 6A. Playing in the small school division, how do you feel conference play helps to prepare your team for the postseason? Additionally, what are your matchup objectives when filling out the 4 open weeks on your schedule?
Response
We enjoy playing in the NIC and the challenges that it brings. We are able to see different styles of football throughout the season which we think helps us prepare for the tournament. One of things that I really enjoy about our conference is the physicality that we face each week. That physicality helps create a physical and mental toughness that teams need when week 10 hits. To be honest, we are looking for games that we can compete in when it comes to out of conference. We are looking to fill those spots with teams that are similar to our sectional opponents, since our conference schedule is filled with 3 and 4A teams.

Question 4
Please tell us a little about your personal background. Where are you from originally? What is your educational and playing background, and when did you decide to pursue a career in coaching? Who were some of your key mentors along the way?
Response
I am a hometown guy. Born and raised in Bremen, attended school in Bremen and played football for Bremen. I went to Indiana University and came back home to Bremen. I decided on teaching and coaching while at IU and started coaching Middle School football right after college. I joined Bob Holmes staff at Bremen when he took over and learned a tremendous amount from him. Being able to work with Marty Huber was an incredible opportunity. I was able to learn a lot working beside him as assistants under Coach Holmes. Shawn Campbell, a long time Defensive Coordinator at Bremen, is another coach that has had an impact in my coaching. I cannot leave out Coach Bunge, who started our program in the 1950s. Coach Bunge still comes to all our practices to keep an eye on me and let me know what he sees.

Question 5
What will be the basic offensive and defensive schemes for the Lions in 2021? Are you planning to make any changes based on returning personnel? Who will be your key players offensively , defensively and on special teams?
Response
On defense, Coach Andrews runs a base 4-3 that allows us to be flexible against the teams that we will see. Offensively, we will run several different formations, but our base offense has I backs and a Tight End. We are not planning on too many changes with the returning players.
Our Key players on offense will be: Ethan Nunemaker QB, Lane Moser OL, Brody Ecenbarger OL, Marty Manges OL, Ashton Shively WR/RB.
Defensively we will rely on Ecenbarger, Manges, and Moser up front. Austin McKenzie will play MLB for us. Shively and Reece Greene will be key in the defensive backfield.
Angel Estrada will handle our kicking.

Question 6
We've talked to many coaches this summer about the Success Factor and the structure of the post season tournament. Your team was directly impacted by the SF last year, as 1A Pioneer bumped up to 2A and won your sectional. What are your feelings on the Success Factor, do you feel it has achieved its primary goal of maintaining competitive balance? And are you satisfied with the setup of the state tournament, or would you rather see changes that reward regular season success?
Response
I like the idea of the success factor to work toward competitive balance. I don't know if it has achieved its goal or not, but I think there needs to be something in place to challenge those programs that are achieving the necessary points to move up and stay up.
I do like the way our tournament is set up. I love that every kid gets a chance to compete in a tournament game.

Question 7
We have seen attendance drop in many areas of the state over the past several years. Some of it is due to the onset of streaming, which will only continue to expand and become the primary vehicle for fans to get their high school football. How is attendance overall in The NIC, what are your biggest home gates based on your current schedule, and what kind of support can you expect to get annually from the Bremen community?
Response
The great thing about Bremen is that we get amazing support from the community. Our community still embraces the joy of watching football in person on Friday nights. I think that our Jimtown and John Glenn games bring in our largest attendance. We have had some great games with South Bend Riley that have brought in good attendance.

Question 8
Many of the bigger schools around the state are blessed with tremendous weight lifting facilities and dedicated strength and conditioning coaches as they work to build bigger, stronger and faster athletes. Smaller 1A and 2A schools don't necessarily have the resources to provide this type of training benefit to their athletes. How would you rate the Bremen strength and conditioning program, and what do you do specifically to develop and grow your players with the resources available to you and your staff?
Response
We do not have a dedicated strength and conditioning program throughout the school day. We have one class that is dedicated to strength and conditioning, but that is at 6:30 in the morning and is limited to a smaller number because the size or our weight room. We share many of our athletes with other sports and they find it difficult to get into the weight room. My staff and I run after school lifting for those not in other sports, about 10-15 players. Most of our ability to develop our players comes in the summer months. I think that my staff and players make the most out of what we have and the short time frame during the summer.

Question 9
Your 2018 team came 1 point short of representing the North in the 2A state championship game, and you are coming off another solid year in 2020. How challenging is it to maintain competitive excellence from year to year at a 2A school like Bremen, and based on the returning talent on hand, what are your goals and expectations for the 2021 version of Bremen football?
Response
I think that it is important to keep in mind what competitive excellence looks like for different groups. Each year we have a different group of kids, but our expectation is the same: compete every day and you will be successful. Our coaches and players understand that the goal is to win games, but that is not our focus. Our focus is on trying to be the best versions of ourselves every day and those wins will hopefully take care of themselves.

Thanks Coach and the best of luck to you and your team this fall.

XVUPS4S6QBINVH67O7INM66GSA.jpg

5f5c4306765a1.image.jpg

HHFLogo.jpg

Edited by DT

19 minutes ago, southend said:

Home of Doc Bowen one of Indiana’s great legislators. 

And hometown of Ted Huber, Indiana Hall of Fame player, coach, former IFCA president. He was also my World History teacher in 1971.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1