Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Forfeit at Halftime?

BDGiant93

Question

Ben Davis was up 49-14 at the half last night at Tech. There was an altercation in the home stands that spilled into the parking lot, and that resulted in the Tech administration clearing the stands of all fans. Tech apparently tried to forfeit the game, but they were not allowed to do so by, I'm told, the IHSAA. Is there some clause in the rules that governs this?

The second half was played without fans and the Giants won 49-20.

2 answers to this question

12 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Ben Davis was up 49-14 at the half last night at Tech. There was an altercation in the home stands that spilled into the parking lot, and that resulted in the Tech administration clearing the stands of all fans. Tech apparently tried to forfeit the game, but they were not allowed to do so by, I'm told, the IHSAA. Is there some clause in the rules that governs this?

The second half was played without fans and the Giants won 49-20.

Yes. Here is the IHSAA bylaws

9-16 Withdrawal from Contests Prohibited

a. After the execution of an IHSAA Contract for Athletic Contest, the competing Schools must honor the terms of such Contract, must fully participate in the Contest, and except as provided in the Exception below, may not withdraw from the Contest.

b. Exception: A School which is a party to an IHSAA Contract for Athletic Contest may withdraw from the Contest if:

(1.) the withdrawing School withdraws because of a situation which is beyond the control of the withdrawing School

(2.) the withdrawing School withdraws with the consent of all Schools to the IHSAA Contract for Athletic Contest; or

(3.) the other School to the Contract for Athletic Contest is found by the IHSAA to have violated rule 20 or has become a direct or indirect beneficiary of a rule 20 violation.

c. A School which withdraws from a Contest in violation of this section may jeopardize its standing in the Association.

9-16.1 Withdrawal from Contests Because of Officials’ Conduct Prohibited Removal of a School athletic team from an athletic Contest due to dissatisfaction with the game officials will jeopardize the standing of the School in the Association.

I had an incident many years ago when I was coaching where I refused to let my team take the field with what I deemed unsafe weather conditions. There is a back story, I’ll spare you the gory details. We were on the road, I called my AD and explained the situation. He said he had my back, do what I felt was best for the safety of our players. Ultimately we ended up playing, after I deemed it safe for us to return to the field. And the game went on without incident. But after some discussion with my AD, I found out, the IHSAA takes withdrawing, forfeiting, not playing a scheduled game is in fact a very serious deal with them. We had no issues, but as a coach, my players safety will ALWAYS come first.