Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

BSU announces esports scholarships

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2022/02/10/david-letterman-ball-state-esports-indycar-team-partnership/6735411001/

Just steps away from the communications building that holds his name, David Letterman felt lost. More than 50 years removed from his Ball State graduation, one of America’s greatest late night television talk show hosts spoke of feeling out of place around the scattered computer monitors, gaming chairs and tables.

The students less than a third his age? They were commonplace. Letterman said that recently, he makes it back to the Muncie campus nearly on a monthly basis to speak with students, stand for an endless line of photos while cracking jokes and speaking in hyperbole.

But inside the school’s new Esports Center, on-hand to help announce a new scholarship program linking his old stomping grounds and the IndyCar team he’s spent 25 years being the goofy grandpa-esque face of?

Ahead of the night’s main event, Letterman, Ball State president Geoffrey Mearns, the school’s dean of the College of Communication, Information and Media Paaige Turner and other faculty members announced the creation of two $5,000 scholarships earmarked for members of the school’s varsity esports team starting in the fall of this year and extending through the 2025-26 academic year. Bringing together two of the most important entities from his adult life in such a charitable way, Letterman said, made him feel like “the luckiest man alive.”

“I do very little for the team and the team does so much for me, and I’m flattered by the association,” he said. “We’ve been good enough to win two Indianapolis 500s while my name was on the car (since 1996). That’s a gift.

“To see this, my college, have the foresight and commitment to this, and to have my college doing that with my racing team I’m part of, I’m telling you, I feel like a kid at Christmas. This is delightful.”

“It’s night and day. I came here, and I thought it was everything you could ever want from a college,” he said. “I don’t think anybody back then could have imagined what has become of this place. It’s tremendous.

“I don’t know where I am. I walk around, and I’m lost! I can’t tell you where I parked, and when I went to school here, I knew every dorm, every classroom, every doorway. I wasn’t a very good student, but this whole association is thrilling to be because I makes me feel like, ‘Oh yeah, I went to “Ball State”.’”

e-sports are the future of college athletics.  Chirp! Chirp!