Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  48 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Jimtown HS - Longtime teacher in Elkhart County school who is slated to retire at end of the year - slaps student. Makes International news.....

swordfish

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10571705/Shocking-moment-high-school-teacher-slaps-student-face.html

Shocking moment former Teacher of the Year chases student down a hallway and SLAPS him across his face 'for wearing a hoodie to class': Teacher was allowed to take early retirement 

• Jimtown High School teacher Mike Hosinski was fired is seen on video slapping at student in the hallway at school on Friday
  • Hosinski confronted the student about a hoodie he was wearing 
  • Hosinski slaps the student in the face so hard that the student's head hits a wall
  • The student suffered visible injuries and was treated by medical staff
  • The Baugo Community School Board decided on Monday to allow Hosinski to take an early retirement and retain his full pension
  • Parents and students backed Hosinski 
  • Indiana Department of Child Services and the Elkhart County Sheriff's Office are investigating the incident

https://www.abc57.com/news/parents-and-students-show-their-support-of-jimtown-teacher-who-slapped-student

https://www.953mnc.com/2022/02/28/several-jimtown-students-walk-out-monday-in-support-of-teacher/

https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/news/local/2022/02/28/teacher-striking-student-video-leaves-jimtown-baugo-community-schools/6972930001/

SF was incredibly shocked to see this video.  Now even more shocked that it made International news, not just a blurb on the US MSM.  Unfortunately, the incident has been misrepresented that it was the improper wearing of a hoodie that caused it.  Knowing what I know about the incident from a reliable source in the school district with direct knowledge, this kid who has a long history of trouble including multiple suspensions from just about all the schools in E.C. had just been very disruptive during class, using extremely foul language in this classroom and was ordered to report to the Principal's office had just verbally assaulted a student threatening her with rape in a graphic manner.   Apparently this caused the teacher Mr. Hosinski a 40 year veteran to lose it and the result was caught on video.

I can't condone what he did, since it is clearly against the rules and frankly dangerous, but I have to think "the kid had it coming".  If I were the threatened girl's parents, I would be throwing an extravagant retirement party for the teacher.  Based on the reaction(s) of the students, other staff and parents that know the real story, I think I'm right.

I just hope the kid maybe got some sense knocked into his thick skull, but I don't hold much hope given his past and his parent's reaction.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swordfish said:

Teacher's unions fight for sick/personal days during "bargaining".  Depending on the public school district, a teacher can accumulate a LOT of sick days (personal days can roll over into sick days up to a certain # in some districts).  This teacher may have had a lot of sick days to use up, been able to retire, and used them during this time.  Depending on the district, he may get "cut a check" for X amount per sick day not used when he retires.  Don't know if that is what dante was talking about, but thought this may help.

Not really sure if the school can take his accumulated sick days away.  Common sense may say they should be able to, but guaranteed the union would fight that.

8 hours ago, swordfish said:

Thanks for the explanation.  The ???? was "I really don't know".

You are welcome.  Guaranteed the teacher's union will be VERY quiet if this teacher was one of their own.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DE said:

Teacher's unions fight for sick/personal days during "bargaining".  Depending on the public school district, a teacher can accumulate a LOT of sick days (personal days can roll over into sick days up to a certain # in some districts).  This teacher may have had a lot of sick days to use up, been able to retire, and used them during this time.  Depending on the district, he may get "cut a check" for X amount per sick day not used when he retires.  Don't know if that is what dante was talking about, but thought this may help.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Ours roll over, and transfer between school districts. They are never categorized based on use for us. We can basically call in sick whenever, and just use the days. 

• Thanks 1