Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OL alignment

CoachK_75

Question

Hello,

I need a specific clarification on what constitutes being on the line as an offensive lineman. I want to make sure going into one of our games that I have clarity when discussing this with the official. What is the cutoff for a guard/tackle being in the backfield on a particular snap. I always thought the helmet of the o-lineman must be even with the belt line of the center. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, CoachK_75 said:

Hello,

I need a specific clarification on what constitutes being on the line as an offensive lineman. I want to make sure going into one of our games that I have clarity when discussing this with the official. What is the cutoff for a guard/tackle being in the backfield on a particular snap. I always thought the helmet of the o-lineman must be even with the belt line of the center. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

The helmet of the player must be even with the waistline/pants of the center. I know the image is from college, but this is a good visual of that. 
Offensive Line | Football Positional Guidelines | Go Big Recruiting

Right from the Definitions section of the rule book:

“ART. 9 . . . A lineman is any A player who is facing his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and with his head or foot breaking an imaginary plane drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the waist of the snapper when the ball is snapped.“

• Like 2