Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 21 Championship - Roncalli vs Brebeuf Jesuit

I am very curious to hear thoughts on this game. I believe Brebeuf is on a roll and a different offense then what Roncalli saw in the 31-14 win over Brebeuf earlier in the season. Also the defense is getting turnovers. But can they contain Luke Hansen and one of the best O lines in the state? Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

I am very curious to hear thoughts on this game. I believe Brebeuf is on a roll and a different offense then what Roncalli saw in the 31-14 win over Brebeuf earlier in the season. Also the defense is getting turnovers. But can they contain Luke Hansen and one of the best O lines in the state? Thoughts?

Closer than the first matchup but I see Roncalli controlling both the clock and the ball in this one. 

All depends on what kind of QB play happens.

Starting QB for BJ had a QBR of 39.1 last game.  Not going to win if that happens again.

They got big chunks of yards and at least one TD on RB/WR double passes.  Not sure if those will work again.

BJ was pretty one dimensional against Roncalli since they could not run the ball.  (76 total yards on the ground.)

Moyers does not have to outplay his counterparts, he just has to have a decent game and make good decisions.

48 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

My response to this after watching the Mooresville is that they are not a different team. 

BJ plays a hard physical defense.  They will hit you.  Not surprised that they pushed Mooresville around.

They also have to throw the ball to win.  Talent and speed at WR.  This has been their formula the past two seasons, though they are not quite as talented this years.  (Their two WRs last year were as good a pair as I have seen on any team.)

Really comes down to matchups.   Can their D win the physical matchup with Roncalli's O?   Can they get enough deep balls?

Turnovers will also a big deal.  Roncalli had the early fumbles against Elder that cost them the game.  BJ had 3 INTs first game.  Roncalli had one fumble last game that probably cost them a TD.

More or less agree with what’s been said here. My only insight is to point out the obvious that the braves need to churn out some first downs on offense. Not ideal to give roncalli 10+ possessions where they can simply lean on you with their run game.

I had a feeling the braves defense would stand tall - especially early in the game. Thrilled with that 4th down stand after a pretty disastrous last 2nd Q possession.

Braves lead 7-0 at half. I expect roncalli to come out extra physical in the third. We’ll see if Brebeuf has the legs to withstand for the remainder.

Roncalli found some success with qb power and outside runs with the rb. They should honestly run the sweep all night. Brebeuf continues to do a great job with the inside run D. 

Brebeuf has been largely unable to move the ball consistently. A good run or two, but almost all of their yardage in the 3q came from screens and penalty yardage. And yet, with a minute left, a long touchdown pass for Brebeuf.

14-7 Brebeuf leads at the end of 3.

Brebeuf is able to force a punt to get the ball back with 4:30 left. A few nice plays puts the braves into scoring position.

Roncalli forces a good stop on second down and then a strip sack on the roncalli 40 yard line on the very next play. 

Roncalli wins 21-14. Tough loss for the braves. They had a real chance to win. Roncalli played well enough to win and turnovers were ultimately the difference in the result.

Immensely proud of the effort. That was a proper sectional championship game.

2 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Good win for the Royals against a team that know you very well and is a strong physical match up. 

QB play was a telling factor.  And turn overs.  Who the heck predicted that?

Yeah I didn’t see anything of the sort all week. 

The only thing missing on your bingo card was not one - but two - fifty yard touchdown passes by the southsiders. I don’t think I’ve seen such a thing happen with my own eyes, that’s for sure. 

11 minutes ago, BigBrebeufFan said:

Yeah I didn’t see anything of the sort all week. 

The only thing missing on your bingo card was not one - but two - fifty yard touchdown passes by the southsiders. I don’t think I’ve seen such a thing happen with my own eyes, that’s for sure. 

I though my humor was better, but anywhoo, very hard nice  fought game by your Braves.  Nice DL play and talent  at the WR position.  If Geske can continue to progress, that will really move things forward.  If a team relays on pass, throwing less than 55% make it hard to win against good teams especially after the bump to 4A.  I expect BJ to stay there based on enrollment.  I would expect to be favored to win sectional next year.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I though my humor was better, but anywhoo, very hard nice  fought game by your Braves.  Nice DL play and talent  at the WR position.  If Geske can continue to progress, that will really move things forward.  If a team relays on pass, throwing less than 55% make it hard to win against good teams especially after the bump to 4A.  I expect BJ to stay there based on enrollment.  I would expect to be favored to win sectional next year.  

I knew you were being tongue-in-cheek. I was simply trying to return the favor. Sarcasm is hard online, no hard feelings.

Since I have the podium, The Braves are losing a good senior class. They were a winning group and - from afar - they seemed to really grow together and play for each other. That’s what makes me most proud.

At times, the offense has looked as good as it has in years. The qb should grow with his class of receivers over the next couple of years. They have a talented sophomore RB and some returning size on OL.

I hope the current D staff stays in place until the end of time. They have shown they can develop a stingy unit year over year. Same goes for the special teams.

A bit of a bitter sweet ending. I wasn’t so sure how things were going to turn out after the first half in game 1 against chatard. But, credit to the players and coaches for getting better week over week. It was fun to follow along. 

• Like 1