Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NE8 2023

What does Columbia City have coming back this year after arguably their best season in football ever*?

*they went 9-0 in 1966 and won their only other sectional in 1993 when they went 9-3. 2010 they went 10-2 with a 3 point loss to Homestead in the regular season before getting drubbed by Dwenger (state runner-ups) in the sectional semi-finals.

I'm curious if anyone that is close to Leo's program knows how the team / community liked switching their offense?  I for one am not a fan of misdirection offense as it takes the game away from some of the kids playing.  It appears that the team adjusted quite well last year.  I was a little sad to see Leo and NorthWood get moved to different sectionals as the NorthWood / Leo sectional games were always fun to watch.

This year is TRULY a toss up in the NE8.  You will have the usual suspects in Leo and East noble with the recent success of Norwell.  You have a resurgent Columbia City who crashed the party last year and a New Haven team that could/should be the MOST explosive offensive team in the conference trying to fight their way back to the top of the NE8.  After them you have Huntington North, Dekalb and Belmont who, lets be honest, will remain in the bottom half.  This year's title race, I believe, will come down to one key aspect....Line play.  Whoever can put together a strong O-line to block for the numerous playmakers in the conference will have the inside track.  With that being said.....

1A.  Leo-From an offensive standpoint they are probably the number 2 team in the NE8 talent wise.  The Lions return Schott, Zeisloft and Deckar while getting a HUGE add/upgrade in Hurst coming over from NorthSide (and I don't blame him after watching "The New North" documentary). Deckar is servicable at QB but with the weapons at his disposal, his job becomes alot easier this year but he MUST get better with the ball (INT's).  The numerous defensive starters returning is why I have them here. Schott, who I believe is a BETTER defender will terrorize opposing QB's this season and Zeisloft return as the conference's top pick artist from a year ago.  Only question mark will be ILB.  Now lets see if the defensive play calling will help win them games.

1B.  New Haven-  This may come out of left field but, imho, the Bulldogs look SCARY offensively.  All eyes will be on Graham (Ohio State commit and #1 ranked player in the state) but with Ajani Washington coming over from Concordia (1st team SAC WR), James Hardy II at TE and the BEST returning QB in the NE8 back in Williams, yikes.  And lets not forget Bates at RB returning as well.  The key to a contending season or another .500 year all comes down to O-line play which has been their achilles heal.  If they can put a servicable line in front of those playmakers, they may just be able win by simply outscoring everyone.....

3. East Noble-the first losing season at EN in 20+ years isn't going to sit well in Kendalville nor with Caoch Amstutz.  I see some form of a "revenge tour" happening this season as the youth movement from last year starts to pay off.  The Knights may very well have the BEST running game in the NE8 this year behind Reinbold, Krehl and Mosely at RB's.  All 3 are as hardnosed as they come and will grind out alot of yards on the ground.  The Knights return Brazel at QB who in 2 years behind center is yet to really shine but he could do some damage this year off play action.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some packages put together for incoming frosh QB Phillips as he will be the future (and a VERY dangerous one at that) at some point.  The defense will be key in a run at the conference title this year as they will face playmakers week in and week out.  They, I believe, cannot afford to be conservative here, especially this year....

4. Columbia City- a fall from conference champs to the fourth spot, I know, seems harsh but they lose ALOT.  The obvious bright spot is Stratton Fuller is back and he is BEAST in all 3 phases of the game.  He's one of the top WR's in the conference as well as a top DB and return man....and he blocks kicks when they count (see sectional championship last year).  Returning help at RB with Getts will help as well but the big question is who will replace Colton Pieper at QB???  The line should be in decent shape with the defensive being good but Columbia City's success last year was all about the offense and they need to find their leader.....

5. Norwell- the biggest faller from last year also lost a TON from a very talented senior class last year.  Gone are the running combo of Graft & Colbert as well as monsters on both lines in Bolyn and Zeddis. Bailey is also gone at QB which never helps a rebuilding team as well as Ringger as a utility player.  Defense, which was stellar last year, loses the majority of their player as well.  Returning bright spots include Drew Graft and Trey Boddenheimer, both 2-way players.  Just don't see them leading this team higher than this considering the talent in the conference this year.

6. Huntington North- new coach in Eschbach is really only bright spot other than year 2 in their new confines and turf.  The Vikings generally have alot of size physically so there could be some blockers for Teusch at RB who should take over duties as top ball carrier.  

7. Dekalb- another team that will deal with losses at key spots.  Gone are Irk at QB and WR's Montoya and Wiley who were big to their offense.  Coming back is  RB Caiden Hinkle at 6'3 and 225 lbs is a bruiser.  The Barons always seems to be the team that's just "a fews years from being good" and that clock needs to hurry up.  There is some solid talent coming up in the lower levels, just not this year....

8. Belmont- get turf and we will talk about you.....

On 8/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, NE8_Fan said:

3. East Noble-the first losing season at EN in 20+ years isn't going to sit well in Kendalville nor with Caoch Amstutz.  I see some form of a "revenge tour" happening this season as the youth movement from last year starts to pay off.  The Knights may very well have the BEST running game in the NE8 this year behind Reinbold, Krehl and Mosely at RB's.  All 3 are as hardnosed as they come and will grind out alot of yards on the ground.  The Knights return Brazel at QB who in 2 years behind center is yet to really shine but he could do some damage this year off play action.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some packages put together for incoming frosh QB Phillips as he will be the future (and a VERY dangerous one at that) at some point.  The defense will be key in a run at the conference title this year as they will face playmakers week in and week out.  They, I believe, cannot afford to be conservative here, especially this year....

I definitely agree about our run game.. that 3-headed monster and our O-line is going to make games miserable for opponents.  And remember the name .. Rylee Biddle... He'll make an impact all over the field.. DB, WR, QB.. 

Edited by Knightsfan_01
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

I definitely agree about our run game.. that 3-headed monster and our O-line is going to make games miserable for opponents.  And remember the name .. Rylee Biddle... He'll make an impact all over the field.. DB, WR, QB.. 

a nice zone read and option package with these two could be dynamite....