Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Michiana Regional: New Prairie vs. Northwood

If there was one potential playoff game I was hoping to see this year, this is it. 10-2 New Prairie travels over to take on the 10-2 Panthers. Last meeting between the 2 schools was the 2004 sectional championship where NP won 14-11. That was New Prairie's first sectional title and the start of a very good 2 decade run the cougars have been on. Despite both programs playing in the same class their entire history, being in the same area, and both with multiple deep playoff runs; this is only the 5th time they have ever met in the post season. Others years were 1987, 1996, 2003, and 2004, the programs have had a knack of avoiding each other. Northwood is coming off an exciting & emotional win over rival Northridge while the cougars took care of business against CMA. On paper everything looks pretty evenly matched despite contrasting styles. Should be another packed house, great atmosphere at Andrews Field and fantastic football game for the Michiana area!

This game has the makings of a good one.  New Prairie's offense scares me a bit against NW's defense.  They run that misdirection...however....different than most schools NorthWood plays (IE Warsaw / Mishawaka)...NP is no stranger to throwing the ball.  NW's defense will have to prepare for both attacks.  Judging by the couple of common opponents, NW has played them a bit better, however, this time of year you can throw that out of the window.  The weather looks great for regional football so I'm sure Andrews field will be a packed house.  Turnovers and field position will play a huge part in this game.

59 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

This game has the makings of a good one.  New Prairie's offense scares me a bit against NW's defense.  They run that misdirection...however....different than most schools NorthWood plays (IE Warsaw / Mishawaka)...NP is no stranger to throwing the ball.  NW's defense will have to prepare for both attacks.  Judging by the couple of common opponents, NW has played them a bit better, however, this time of year you can throw that out of the window.  The weather looks great for regional football so I'm sure Andrews field will be a packed house.  Turnovers and field position will play a huge part in this game.

New Prairie has a very good offensive line. They have decent size, move well, and are pretty strong. Should be a really good game.

Watching the WHME interview with Coach Andrews after their game is pretty telling; personally my respect level went way up after it. Sounds like this season has been extremely difficult for him as a coach. I don't think I've ever seen such a melancholy/disappointed interview from someone who just won a championship thriller, against a rival, that's knocked them out of the post-season recently. With all the social media stuff flying around already, something tells me it's going to be a long week for the NW coaching staff for all the wrong reasons. 

After watching the Northridge/Northwood game I definitely think New Prairie will be able to do what they do best which is run the ball. The big question is whether NP can stop or slow down the panthers passing game. Looking forward the a very entertaining game. Doesn’t look like the weather will be a factor at all for the game.

53 minutes ago, Rocket said:

After watching the Northridge/Northwood game I definitely think New Prairie will be able to do what they do best which is run the ball. The big question is whether NP can stop or slow down the panthers passing game. Looking forward the a very entertaining game. Doesn’t look like the weather will be a factor at all for the game.

As long as Northwood doesn't have pictures of NP players they will be fine.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:25 AM, npcougar15 said:

Watching the WHME interview with Coach Andrews after their game is pretty telling; personally my respect level went way up after it. Sounds like this season has been extremely difficult for him as a coach. I don't think I've ever seen such a melancholy/disappointed interview from someone who just won a championship thriller, against a rival, that's knocked them out of the post-season recently. With all the social media stuff flying around already, something tells me it's going to be a long week for the NW coaching staff for all the wrong reasons. 

I noticed that as well. I don’t know Nate but I could see it being the type of season where expectations Trump any kind of success they have. Unless the Panthers make the state there will be some disappointment in Nappanee. For one you have the basketball state championship still in the recent past and then you have 2 major D1 recruits, most people were penciling in Northwood for the north. As it’s played out they have been good but not as good as most of us thought and I’m sure that can weigh on a coach. 

Congrats too Northwood. They looked like the real deal last night. I'm guessing it was one of their more complete games they have played this season? They looked pretty effective in all aspects; offense, defense, short passes, long passes, etc.Their running was just effective enough to gain some big first downs in the first half but obviously 80% of the offense was through the air. Majority of passes were right on target and with their receivers there really wasn't much of a chance for the cougars secondary. If they play like that against Leo it's going to be a whale of game. Honestly, I don't think anyone is touching East Central this year but I'd love to see Northwood make it too state just to see how they look on the turf. They have the athletes and the scheme to make it interesting against EC on the offensive side of the ball if they get their players in the right position. Defensively nobody is stopping EC. 

Turning of the page for the cougar program. While the cupboard isn't bare we are losing Marshall Kmiecik at quarterback. The kid was 34-8 as a starter the last 3 seasons. 3 sectionals, 2 regionals, 1 semi-state and of course a state finals appearance. Over 3800 yards in rushing (7 YPC career), over 3600 yards passing, 43 rushing touchdowns, 42 passing touchdowns. Kid has made numerous big plays throughout his career that led to championships and just an all-around winner. He will go down as one of the best to do it in a New Prairie uniform.