1. Be patient...your time will come
2. Don't be afraid to work your way up the ladder
3. Make connections and don't be afraid to pick the brains of established coaches
4. Go to clinics....some of my best memories are sitting in a hotel room while Al Harants, Frank Amato and Rex Bowser schemed X's & O's
5. Establish a support system...wife, family, friends, assistants
6. Hire good people that are great teachers....good assistants make a good head coach
7. Don't jump at the first job...there is a reason it is open....will admin have your back? will school board give you time? community buy in? How will you be evaluated? is there a job description?
8. If you are married, your wife must understand what she is getting herself into....time, commitment, fans in the stands, etc