Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Impeding a receiver

Question

I am needing clarification on when, how, or where impeding a receiver can be called? I had a very good conversation with an official from a very solid crew. But was still left unsure in how to teach defenders how to avoid this. Keep in mind this was not a penalty called during a game. It was a discussion that evolved from pass interference discussion. 

5 answers to this question

I always look at it from this point of view:  Did the defender displace the receiver and cause him to alter his body placement or route.  Keep in mind too, face guarding is no longer considered pass interference.  So a defender can throw their arms up in an attempt to block the view of the receiver.  

First, there is no foul called impeding a receiver. I think I know what you are asking though. Before the ball is thrown the defender may block an eligible receiver who is still a potential blocker as much as he wants. He can't illegally block him (i.e. hold, block in the back, blind side block), but he can block him. There is no 5-yard contact rule like the NFL. Once the receiver passes him or is running away from him (i.e. think crossing route) then he can no longer block him. Then it is illegal use of hands and the signal is the same as holding. Once the pass is in the air toward his direction the contact must have stopped or it turns into pass interference.

• Like 3

I interpreted the question a little differently. There are 6 distinct types of defensive pass interference, one of which is called “the cutoff.” It’s described as follows:

5. Cut Off
Cutting Off or riding the receiver out of the path to the ball by making contact with him without playing the ball.

Perhaps this is what the question is about.

I guess what I'm more inclined to want to know, is can a defensive player continue to be disruptive to a receivers route as long as ball is NOT in the air, he is NOT holding, arm baring, pushing from behind, kind of stuff. 

But playing what I prefer to think of as basketball type defense with a little more physicality. 

13 hours ago, 1984 said:

I guess what I'm more inclined to want to know, is can a defensive player continue to be disruptive to a receivers route as long as ball is NOT in the air, he is NOT holding, arm baring, pushing from behind, kind of stuff. 

But playing what I prefer to think of as basketball type defense with a little more physicality. 

He can block the wr as long as the wr is a potential blocker to him and the ball is not in the air 

• Like 1