Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DPI

Impartial_Observer

Question

14 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

5 man mechanics, back slips out of the back field and is about 5 yards beyond the LOS. The U has slid up towards the LOS and LB takes a shot at back out of the backfield, just behind the U as he has moved forward. Who's responsible for this call? This is from spread, twins both sides, and single back. 

If the back was inside the tight end position, no one has him as a key. You might get luck as a wing official Hard for the B to see this, as his initial key is a wide player. If the play takes long enough to develop, B may be in a position to see this, or a wing who has dropped to LB depth. Otherwise, you just have to hope to get lucky. 5 man mechanics.

14 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

5 man mechanics, back slips out of the back field and is about 5 yards beyond the LOS. The U has slid up towards the LOS and LB takes a shot at back out of the backfield, just behind the U as he has moved forward. Who's responsible for this call? This is from spread, twins both sides, and single back. 

Is the ball in the air?

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

If the back was inside the tight end position, no one has him as a key. You might get luck as a wing official Hard for the B to see this, as his initial key is a wide player. If the play takes long enough to develop, B may be in a position to see this, or a wing who has dropped to LB depth. Otherwise, you just have to hope to get lucky. 5 man mechanics.

Kinda my thoughts. I was hoping someone had a magic bullet.

4 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

Is the ball in the air?

Not having this discussion on this thread. 

54 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I would argue one of the wings does have a key on the back. There is nothing you have to watch at the snap with as a key because he's not on a defender. But one of the wings will have to keep him in their periphery as the play develops. If it was his key to begin with he needs to watch him once he's in an area with opponents and 5 yards downfield would definitely be his area. The B would be very unlikely to be watching him.

Let's say we have a balanced formation. The B has the widest receiver on the LJ side and the LJ has #2 and the back. The H has both receivers on his side. Pay special attention to any of your keys who are pressed but if no one is pressed then watch your T to read run/pass. If you read pass stay with the T for at least a second in case he gets beat off the snap, especially if you are on the R side because he's starting with the opposite T. As the routes develop the wings and BJ go to zone. If the LJ had the back as his key, he should stay with him to this point. If both of the receivers on his side stay in then the H will have to pick him up but he doesn't necessarily know that. If one or of the receivers stay in his focus will probably be there and the back in the middle would go undetected. If both stay in then nobody is deep and the back judge COULD pick up the back in the middle.

This all shows the complexity of covering eligible receivers with only a 5-man crew. You have 3 guys watching 5 players and they all have to be on the same page regarding zones and switches. It's not hard once you have experience doing it, but you still may miss something because a different receiver draws your attention even for a second.

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Kinda my thoughts. I was hoping someone had a magic bullet.

Not having this discussion on this thread. 

What does that even mean? You asked about DPI. DPI on this play vs an illegal block (defense blocking a player that can no longer be a potential blocker) is 2 totally different senerios. The dpi is easier to call in this situation so to me the question is who would see the illegal block

Edited by Huge Football Fan

12 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

What does that even mean? You asked about DPI. DPI on this play vs an illegal block (defense blocking a player that can no longer be a potential blocker) is 2 totally different senerios. The dpi is easier to call in this situation so to me the question is who would see the illegal block

This is not an illegal block. It's illegal use of the hands. 15 yds,. vs. 10 yds.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

This is not an illegal block. It's illegal use of the hands. 15 yds,. vs. 10 yds.

As in ibb the block in the back signal. The point is his original question needs to be clarified. What he is asking about dpi or an illegal block? Dpi is way easier to call and isn’t gonna be such a guess. The illegal block is much tougher to see to the whole thing not just 1 or 2 guys falling

2 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

As in ibb the block in the back signal. The point is his original question needs to be clarified. What he is asking about dpi or an illegal block? Dpi is way easier to call and isn’t gonna be such a guess. The illegal block is much tougher to see to the whole thing not just 1 or 2 guys falling

I congratulate you if you find illegal use of the hands tougher to officiate than DPI.

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

I congratulate you if you find illegal use of the hands tougher to officiate than DPI.

In this case it’s a no brainer. Anyone who has officiated that would be reading this has called dpi. How many people have called the defense for blocking a wr who is no longer a potential blocker? I bet almost 0. He asked a specific question about a specific route but wouldn’t say if the ball was in the air or not. I know it’s easier to call dpi on this play when the ball is coming then to call the defense for a foul while the qb still has the ball and is the question that I find interesting as to who would see it but it wouldn’t be dpi 

10 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

In this case it’s a no brainer. Anyone who has officiated that would be reading this has called dpi. How many people have called the defense for blocking a wr who is no longer a potential blocker? I bet almost 0. He asked a specific question about a specific route but wouldn’t say if the ball was in the air or not. I know it’s easier to call dpi on this play when the ball is coming then to call the defense for a foul while the qb still has the ball and is the question that I find interesting as to who would see it but it wouldn’t be dpi 

Dude, the ball was in the air........otherwise it wouldn't have been DPI! My point was I didn't want another dick measuring contest over bumping a potential receiver. 

8 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

5 man coverage.jpg

Receivers end up close enough together to question who the ball is going to when it's thrown and far enough apart to not see it when you're focus is on one matchup. My scribbling is obviously not to scale, but I think everyone gets the gist. 

Coach getting fired for this play?  LOL 🤣  I jest.

But if the players (B and E on the right side of formation) are that close together, depending on crew mechanics, whoever has the outside receiver *should* be able to eye both here due to their proximity.

19 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Coach getting fired for this play?  LOL 🤣  I jest.

But if the players (B and E on the right side of formation) are that close together, depending on crew mechanics, whoever has the outside receiver *should* be able to eye both here due to their proximity.

We had a running clock in this game, so the coach is already in trouble;)

The play had 0 impact on the game, but more to my point, this is why film is so valuable to us. We had two of these plays in the game that were not covered, one was worse than the other. This spurred conversation among the crew how do we get this covered. I realize most people think we just meet up before the game and go wing it, but there is a fair amount of preparation that goes into  it. Our goal every Friday night is to be the best team on the field, I didn't think we were very sharp Friday night, working hard towards this week. I doubt anyone in the stands knew we were there Friday, but you know as an official when you walk off the field, we just weren't sharp. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

We had a running clock in this game, so the coach is already in trouble;)

The play had 0 impact on the game, but more to my point, this is why film is so valuable to us. We had two of these plays in the game that were not covered, one was worse than the other. This spurred conversation among the crew how do we get this covered. I realize most people think we just meet up before the game and go wing it, but there is a fair amount of preparation that goes into  it. Our goal every Friday night is to be the best team on the field, I didn't think we were very sharp Friday night, working hard towards this week. I doubt anyone in the stands knew we were there Friday, but you know as an official when you walk off the field, we just weren't sharp. 

On your play I think it’s the wing on the right side that should see it. B could help depending on what category of dpi you have

• Haha 1