Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

(1-1)Monrovia @ (1-1) Linton

Both teams got their first wins of the season last week.  Monrovia beat Edgewood, 20 - 8 and Linton winning at Sullivan in overtime, 22 - 16.  Monrovia will be coming into Roy Williams Field with some confidence.  Last year's season was winless for them so they have to feel good about getting a win this early in the season.  This will be the 12th time these 2 teams have played with the Bulldogs holding a 6 - 5 edge.  I'm glad they started this series.  The program is a good one and the fans have always been great.  The last 2 games between these 2 teams have been shutouts.  The Miners won 35 - 0 last year and in 2018 the Bulldogs won 23 - 0.  I don't expect this game will be a shutout for either team this year.  Harrell's website is predicting the Miners to win 31 - 7.   I'm thinking the first team to 20 points will win this game.  Safe travels for our Bulldog friends.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 9:06 AM, itiswhatitis said:

Both teams got their first wins of the season last week.  Monrovia beat Edgewood, 20 - 8 and Linton winning at Sullivan in overtime, 22 - 16.  Monrovia will be coming into Roy Williams Field with some confidence.  Last year's season was winless for them so they have to feel good about getting a win this early in the season.  This will be the 12th time these 2 teams have played with the Bulldogs holding a 6 - 5 edge.  I'm glad they started this series.  The program is a good one and the fans have always been great.  The last 2 games between these 2 teams have been shutouts.  The Miners won 35 - 0 last year and in 2018 the Bulldogs won 23 - 0.  I don't expect this game will be a shutout for either team this year.  Harrell's website is predicting the Miners to win 31 - 7.   I'm thinking the first team to 20 points will win this game.  Safe travels for our Bulldog friends.

Pretty proud of the Miners in their OT win over Sullivan Friday night.  The defense continued to play well and maybe the QB change gave the offense a little more spark.  Kudos to senior QB Goodman for playing well at the wing position after being the starting QB.  It was good to see Monrovia get the win over Edgewood after 8 straight lop-sided losses.  That should give them a burst of confidence when they visit Linton Friday.  Looking at the stats , it appears Monrovia, like Linton, doesn't have a passing game and also, .like Linton, doesn't have a kicker.  Should be a good game.  I think Linton wins it.

• Like 1

SR has developed a nice opening week rivalry with Linton and I think both programs have alot of respect for each other.  I'll root for Linton to have a fine season.  Linton wins this week.  Also, after reading Monrovia went winless last season, I had to look at past seasons and it was all that long ago that they were a 2A powerhouse(see 14/15/16 seasons).  They have fallen mightily!  Are things looking up for them?

4 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

SR has developed a nice opening week rivalry with Linton and I think both programs have alot of respect for each other.  I'll root for Linton to have a fine season.  Linton wins this week.  Also, after reading Monrovia went winless last season, I had to look at past seasons and it was all that long ago that they were a 2A powerhouse(see 14/15/16 seasons).  They have fallen mightily!  Are things looking up for them?

Monrovia has a proud football tradition and that terrible season last year had to be a tough pill to swallow.  From what I have heard, a multitude of things went wrong that contributed to the downfall.  I don't know details but they had a new coach which, for whatever reasons, didn't work out.  They now have a new coach who was on staff during the seasons you mentioned.  Linton travels to Monrovia this evening for the JV game.  I'm interested to see how that comes out.  I'm also looking forward to watching the Miners in person this Friday (except for the scrimmage).  I'm not traveling to the away games this year.  I think the young Miner team may have turned a corner last week at Sullivan and realized they can actually compete and win games.  As far as the SR game, Linton played well enough defensively to have made that score a little closer but the offensive mistakes cost them.  No question, though, SR is better than Linton and so far in the series, they always have been.  But one of these years... 🙂

4 hours ago, kingtut said:

Monrovia has a proud football tradition and that terrible season last year had to be a tough pill to swallow.  From what I have heard, a multitude of things went wrong that contributed to the downfall.  I don't know details but they had a new coach which, for whatever reasons, didn't work out.  They now have a new coach who was on staff during the seasons you mentioned.  Linton travels to Monrovia this evening for the JV game.  I'm interested to see how that comes out.  I'm also looking forward to watching the Miners in person this Friday (except for the scrimmage).  I'm not traveling to the away games this year.  I think the young Miner team may have turned a corner last week at Sullivan and realized they can actually compete and win games.  As far as the SR game, Linton played well enough defensively to have made that score a little closer but the offensive mistakes cost them.  No question, though, SR is better than Linton and so far in the series, they always have been.  But one of these years... 🙂

Yes Monrovia has a proud football tradition.  It's one of the reasons I like playing the Bulldogs.  And their fans are loyal and knowledgeable.  Good people.  About on the same level as the Ritter fans.  Looking forward to a good game as always between these 2.  I am not going to any games this year due to the virus.  On the flip side I get to hear Darren and Dan do the broadcasts every week.  I agree the Miners probably grew up a little last week, and I also like the fact they won that on the road.

5 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

Not that is says anything at all, cause I have the utmost respect for the Linton Program. The JV score last night was 28-0 Monrovia. 

Hoping for a great game on Friday night.

Not making excuses for the Miners but they only have 5 seniors on the team and 2 of them are injured and haven't got to play yet.  Add to that Linton's numbers are down this year (somewhere around 35 dressing) several sophomores and a few freshmen are on the varsity.  In more normal years Linton would have 45 - 55 on the team.  We weren't kidding when we said the Miners are very young this year.  And having to use so many underclassmen on the varsity takes away from the JV.  Not too surprised the Bulldogs won.  A little surprised they got a shutout.

Edited by itiswhatitis

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Not making excuses for the Miners but they only have 5 seniors on the team and 2 of them are injured and haven't got to play yet.  Add to that Linton's numbers are down this year (somewhere around 35 dressing) several sophomores and a few freshmen are on the varsity.  In more normal years Linton would have 45 - 55 on the team.  We weren't kidding when we said the Miners are very young this year.  And having to use so many underclassmen on the varsity takes away from the JV.  Not too surprised the Bulldogs won.  A little surprised they got a shutout.

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I believe one of the injured seniors, Levi Grounds, played some last week.  I haven't heard about Lannan's status for this week.  Starting WB Padgett hasn't made an appearance yet.  I think it's a family covid issue.

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

I believe one of the injured seniors, Levi Grounds, played some last week.  I haven't heard about Lannan's status for this week.  Starting WB Padgett hasn't made an appearance yet.  I think it's a family covid issue.

Grounds made some huge plays at DE last week...  he also played a lot of TE... which help spell Lynn and Breneman.. who had to move to ILB with injury to Eslinger.  Padgett I think had shoulder thing.. but he's cleared to play next week.  He should give Miners needed rotation at WB and CB... he was slated as a starter at one or the other at the Scrimmage.  Again with Eslinger prolly out... we will need another WB/RB out there.  Lannan played last week at Sullivan... he was on special teams... but I'm sure with more practice reps he'll be more depth at LB and OL.  

yeah I have loads of love for Monrovia's style and football history.  Maybe they hit a rough patch.. but that happens to most teams now and there.  Lutheran must be really good to beat Ritter so bad.. I thought Ritter looked good against Monrovia.  Looks like the Bulldogs made some adjustments and played much better against Edgewood.  It's always a hard nosed head to head battle with these teams.  I'm sure they will be coming to Linton full tilt on paybacks.  I look forward to seeing my MOnrovia friends I've gotten to know these last few years. I definitely believe both programs got hugely needed wins for their confidence last week.  I cant imagine my Miners 0-2 and a loss in OT at Sullivan... but ... didnt happen!  

I know as well that with Linton's small roster and dependency on underclassmen on Varsity it is probably bare bones on the JV... but that doesn't mean we will cancel games!  Just gives those younger kids playing experience... and Monrovia is always a quality opponent!!  

This Friday will see the 5th meeting in a row with this latest series with the Monrovia Bulldogs.  It was renewed in 2016, after playing from 1999 thru 2003.  It has produced a couple of truly memorable games that indeed came down to final plays of the game to decide the victor.  Not so in the last two meetings, with Linton blasting the Dogs 35-0 at Monrovia last year, and a 23-0 Bulldog win at the Roy in 2018.  Over-all thru 9 meetings I have on record Linton has a 5-4 edge in wins.  Last year was very tough for the Monrovia faithful suffering through a 0-10 in a football loving town not unlike Linton.  It was just a few years removed from a 34-9 three year run that produced 3 Semi State appearances, and a 2A State Championship in 2015 under then Head Coach Kevin Hutchins.  Hutchins left after a 5-5 2018 season, leading to the one year tenure of Nathan Aker.  Monrovia welcomed back Andy Olson this year, who was no stranger to the Bulldog players and fan base.  Olson was a coach on Hutchins’ staff from 2011 to 2017, and vows to bring back the physicality and toughness Monrovia has always been known for as Head Coach.  Should be noted that the Bulldogs play in one of the perennial tough small school conferences with the Indiana Crossroads that includes Lutheran, Ritter, Triton Central among others.

Both the Miners and Bulldogs come into this 3rd week with much needed “wins” under their belts.  To open the season, Monrovia was overrun by 3A Cardinal Ritter 40-6 surrendering 366 rushing yards along the way.  Linton didn’t fare much better in a 28-0 blanking to 3A Southridge and producing a mere 88 yards of total offense.  Both bounced back in week 2 with Linton’s emotional overtime win over rivals 3A 1-1 Sullivan 22-16, and the Bulldogs a 20-8 win over 3A 1-1 Edgewood. Similarities between the two teams is undeniable.  Offensive and Defensive styles are much the same.  Both are heavily run orientated, and use multi backs instead of having one feature back.  Passing games on both sides have had much impact, but can’t be ignored. 

One consistent positive in 2020 thus far for Linton has been the Defense.  Even in the 28-0 loss, it was a solid effort in being put against the wall several times.  Then facing the multi-faceted Arrows last week and holding them to just 177 total offense.  The Offense showed cast improvement week 1 to week 2, pushing their yards per carry from 1.4 to 4.1.   Linton has tried to pass the ball in each game (13 per game) and was markedly better against Sullivan completing 6, including the first score of the year to Eli Poe.  With Hunter Gennicks moved to QB, and Senior Trey Goodman shifting to WB/RB I believe we saw a better spread of talent, and more weapons to exploit.  Goodman provided several nice outside gains severely missing in week 1.  With Gennicks, Goodman, Drew Smith, Gabe Eslinger (when he’s healthy again), and the first appearance of Junior Kaulin Padgett, and others I expect the Miner offense to get more productive, and generate some big numbers.   OF course the Defense will suffer the lose of LB and 2019 leading tackler Gabe Eslinger.  I don’t know the extent of the injury, but know he will certainly miss some games.  I was impressed with Bracey Breneman stepping in for most the 2nd half at Sullivan.  Drew Smith has been double digit in tackles both games, and he moved over the Eslinger’s spot.   The Pass defense I feel has also stepped up.  It’s hard to defend a team like Sullivan with so many formations and receivers and not make mistakes.  You are going to have those especially early in the season, and with an entirely new bunch of jersey numbers in those spots.   Eli Poe, Trey Goodman and Jaydan Miller have been those guys most downs this year, but you’d have to include the linebackers, especially the outside group with Hunter Johns, Jackson Lynn and Hunter Gennicks. 

Monrovia returns their QB from 2019 in Sr #9 Dalen Clements.  He only threw 58 times last year for just 267 yards total.  He is 3 of 12 this year with just 12 yards and 2 picks.  Passing isn’t going to be a strongpoint for the Bulldogs it would seem.  Like Linton, they have three guys that can carry the ball on any play.  Jr #4 Todd Camic, Fr #42 Brayton Belcher, and Jr #27 Gavin Followell have carried the brunt of the load in 2020.  Camic is only one with any varsity play with 300 yards last year.  He leads the team in yards with 153 on 27 carries, but Belcher, just a freshman, has 31 carries for 126 yard and 3 of Monrovia’s 5 rush scores.  Followell has 11 for 118, while Clements has 10 for 20.  The Bulldogs line up Sr #36 Ethan Payne at SE and Sr #30 Jaden Whalen at TE who both started last year.  Up front Monrovia return 2 starters in tackle #55 Jett Massey and Guard #63 Jayden Huffman.  Four of the Five are at least 6’1.  Defensively they are led by a returning starter at LB Sr #40 Hunter Wray with 24 tackles.   They also return #25 Jr Alex Scdoris at LB.  Over all they return 6 starters, and look to have 7 players going both ways.  I would also bring up Sr #7 Corbin Padgett for the Bulldogs, as I see him on the  roster, and know he will be playing Friday night.  As a Sophomore  he ran for 1,034 yards and 8 scores in tandem with Clay Whitney’s 1,439 yards that year.  He didn’t play last year, but I can’t imagine that he won’t make an impact in the Bulldog rushing attack if he plays. 

Linton is pretty even in carries and yards with Goodman at 72 on 21 touches, Gennicks 12 for 69, Smith 16-54, and Eslinger at 27-38.   Gennicks was 6 of 13 passing last week for 42 yards and a TD, Goodman was 3-13 for 37 yards the week prior.  Eli Poe clearly the main target with 4 catches for 43 yards, but Goodman, Hunter Johns, and Eslinger all caught passes.  The Miners have utilized three players at TE in Lynn, Breneman and Sr Levi Grounds, and the O line definitely opened up better holes for the backs last week. The Giles family heavily represented with SR brothers Landon (#57) and Damien (#69), as well as Soph Aiden (#56) all starting along with Jr #58 Donovan DeBruhl, and Jr #77 Dalton Carpenter.  Defensively they have shown 4 and 5 man fronts, and I expect a lot of 5 man this week.  In that formation we’ve seen #45 Jackson Lynn line up at NT instead of LB.  #13 Smith leads the team 32 tackles, but moves outside with I assume #12 Johns or #44 Breneman, or #14 Gennicks.  Gennicks had 14 tackles in week one, but stayed on the offensive side 99% of Sullivan game.  Linton has a good group of DTs and DE’s in Carpenter, both older Giles brothers, DeBruhl, Grounds and Jr #63 Jackson Fields.  I also see Jr  #62 Cody Jackson with reps.

One area of concern would have to be the kicking game.  Linton has not shown a PAT kicker as of yet, going for 2 on each of the TD’s scored last week.  While they achieved both conversions, it could get to be a problem getting down by 1 or 2 in tight games.  Jaydan Miller has been excellent punting the ball with a 34.1 average, and many kicks perfectly placed for no returns inside the 20.  The kickoffs are confusing and it seems we are purposely squibbing kicks down the middle of the field, but this gave the Arrows the ball near or beyond the 40 each time.   Monrovia utilizes the freshman Belcher to punt (25.8 avg) and I don’t actually think they have kicked a PAT either to be honest.  Clements is the kick off guy with a 43.7 yard average.  Special Teams has not really played a role thus far for Linton, which….can be looked at as good!