Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 7 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

In this week’s games, did you:

See an unusual ruling? A question about a rule? Just want to vent (within reason)? This is the place to post it. Complain if you must, but be sure to supply sufficient detail that we can get a discussion going.

6 answers to this question

The reason is that ejection is such a severe penalty that it triggers automatic replay review in NCAA. We don’t have the ability to review those calls at the high school level. 

Note that disqualification is warranted under the NF rules if the targeting (or any personal foul) is deemed “flagrant.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Bob. It's a very severe penalty to eject a player from a HS game. I also don't think it's as big of an issue in HS as it is in college. We get maybe 1 or 2 per season. I don't see it as a major issues that needs to be addressed with something more punitive.

37 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

1st and 10, a personal foul (15 yard) facemask on a quarterback sack, where the offense loses 6 yards (meaning without the facemask it would have been 2nd and 16). What is the correct enforcement and down/distance? 

So, this foul is on the defense, correct? It’s a running play, so the enforcement spot is the end of the run. 15 yd. penalty is 1 yd. short of the line to gain. 1st down and 1 to go.

20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, this foul is on the defense, correct? It’s a running play, so the enforcement spot is the end of the run. 15 yd. penalty is 1 yd. short of the line to gain. 1st down and 1 to go.

Thanks for the explanation. The actual play I witnessed was 1st and goal from the 8. Defensive facemask foul occurred at the 12, setting up 1st and goal from the 6, i.e. half the distance from the foul not the original LOS.  (Correct enforcement in the game.)  I just got to wondering the above hypothetical what would happen.