Hard to believe - end of the regular season

Friday, Oct. 16
Bremen at Clay ©, 7 pm
Elkhart at New Prairie ©, 7:30 pm
Penn at Adams ©, 7 pm
Riley at Jimtown ©, 7 pm
St. Joseph at Marian ©, 7 pm
Washington at Glenn ©, 7 pm

Bremen at Clay -- Lions claim their share of the South.  I think it might be closer then most Clay games have been.  Clay must have put up a little fight last Friday vs. Glenn.  Bremen should get a lead and step back a bit to rest some players and let some bumps and bruises heal for the tournament run.

Elkhart at New Prairie -- Was very surprised at the margin of victory for Penn over NP last Friday.  Guessing New Prairie will dig and give a better showing this week, but it will not be enough to make this one real interesting.  Elkhart pulls away in the second half.

Penn at Adams  -- Penn keeps the streak of visiting teams winning games going in this one.  Penn is battle tested and Adams is not that good.  Might stick with the Kingsmen for a while, but it starts to get ugly by 2nd half.

Riley at Jimtown  -- Would love to see the Wildcats pull one out here vs. the Jimmies, but just don't see it happening after what I observed of Riley vs. Bremen Friday.  The defense kept them in it early and played the run game of the Lions pretty good, but then the turnovers, penalties and overall undisciplined play emerged.  Jimtown will wear them down like every other average to good team that Riley has played.

St. Joe at Marian -- Say all the cliche statements about rivalries and throwing out the records.  Add in the fact that Marian has been off the field for a while, could this one be a close game that comes down to the end?  Maybe, but after seeing both teams in person, Marian's overall talent and athleticism will win out.

Washington at Glenn -- I have no clue about Glenn from week to week.  Not sure anyone does.  Will Creed play any more this season?  If there are any upsets in the NIC this week, I could really see it being Washington over Glenn.  With a share of the conference title at stake, I believe Glenn will come out with a good, focused effort and do enough to get the win.  

Safe travels and prayers for good health for all teams in this final week of the regular season.  Hopeful all teams can start the second season with their full squad intact.

On 10/11/2020 at 5:16 PM, Indian72 said:

Friday, Oct. 16
Bremen at Clay ©, 7 pm
Penn at Adams ©, 7 pm
Riley at Jimtown ©, 7 pm

Lions 

Lions

Kingsmen

Toss-up: Leaning Jimmies 

Knights

Toss-up: Leaning Falcons

On 10/11/2020 at 4:16 PM, Indian72 said:

Friday, Oct. 16
Bremen at Clay ©, 7 pm
Penn at Adams ©, 7 pm
Riley at Jimtown ©, 7 pm

Bremen runs wild over clay.

Elkhart will handle NP. Hopefully the Cougs get some positives out of this game as they head into a winnable sectional.

Penn soundly beats Adams.

Jimtown whips the wildcats

Marian comes out on top of St. Joe. Wouldn't be surprised if Marian is a little sloppy in this one. 

Glenn sneaks by Washington. 

I don't know if it was the departure of Mishawaka, Covid, cancellation of the most important game, or just an "off" year but it didn't seam  that we had too many intriguing/good matchups this season. I think the schools did the best they could when the old NSC dissolved, but I just don't see this conference set up lasting too much longer (I'm talking all sports, not just football). Unfortunately Elkhart and Penn are  two elephants in the room. Do you court Warsaw and talk with some Fort Wayne schools? go independent? Duneland is too far and they don't "fit" the mold. 

Wouldn't be my dream conference but if Elkhart and Penn left and South Bend consolidated into 2 or 3 high schools; a conference that looked like: New Prairie, Marian, St. Joe, Glenn, Bremen, Jimtown, South Bend "A", South Bend "B" would be a pretty nice conference from a competitive and size standpoint across all sports. won't happen but fun to talk about. 

9 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

Bremen runs wild over clay.

Elkhart will handle NP. Hopefully the Cougs get some positives out of this game as they head into a winnable sectional.

Penn soundly beats Adams.

Jimtown whips the wildcats

Marian comes out on top of St. Joe. Wouldn't be surprised if Marian is a little sloppy in this one. 

Glenn sneaks by Washington. 

I don't know if it was the departure of Mishawaka, Covid, cancellation of the most important game, or just an "off" year but it didn't seam  that we had too many intriguing/good matchups this season. I think the schools did the best they could when the old NSC dissolved, but I just don't see this conference set up lasting too much longer (I'm talking all sports, not just football). Unfortunately Elkhart and Penn are  two elephants in the room. Do you court Warsaw and talk with some Fort Wayne schools? go independent? Duneland is too far and they don't "fit" the mold. 

Wouldn't be my dream conference but if Elkhart and Penn left and South Bend consolidated into 2 or 3 high schools; a conference that looked like: New Prairie, Marian, St. Joe, Glenn, Bremen, Jimtown, South Bend "A", South Bend "B" would be a pretty nice conference from a competitive and size standpoint across all sports. won't happen but fun to talk about. 

Last Monday, it was recommended to the South Bend school board to close 5 to 8 schools in the district.  So South Bend may be down a high school or two.  Hammond is about the same size and they reduced to 2 high schools.

I don't see any reason for Elkhart and Penn to leave.  Penn has had many opportunities and stayed put.  Elkhart is the last charter member of the NIC.

I think all sports are fairly competitive in the NIC, especially boys basketball.

I don't think the football will ever have parity.

1 hour ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Last Monday, it was recommended to the South Bend school board to close 5 to 8 schools in the district.  So South Bend may be down a high school or two.  Hammond is about the same size and they reduced to 2 high schools.

I don't see any reason for Elkhart and Penn to leave.  Penn has had many opportunities and stayed put.  Elkhart is the last charter member of the NIC.

I think all sports are fairly competitive in the NIC, especially boys basketball.

SBCSC Board has had years to make the downsizing and failed to do so.  They need to act but I sense they fear a charter school will take over the building and they will lose more kids.  I could see 2 high schools and maybe a vocational one.  I do not see what advantage any conference would gain with Penn and ELK.  FW has a great conference and all close by.  NLC will not move to make it better since it seems to be working.  Penn and Lk are more or less stuck or play a football only non conference schedule.  Duneland again travel and time difference

• Like 1

Except for the drive time and the Wawasee game the NLC has been great so far, ,most of Mishawka's games have been very competitive. I also follow Mishawka wrestling and that has me a little worried as the Cavemen might march right thru the conference schedule.

3 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Not disagreeing with you, unfortunately Penn and Elkhart are pretty much stuck unless something drastic happens. 

I think Bremen and NP have done a nice job of acclimating to the new competition while swinging above their weight in most sports. Jimtown has done so-so but there was a competitive drop off prior to the NIC move. Glenn I feel hasn't really embraced the NIC, they are probably more of a HNAC school. And while yes, every school has their sport and challenges for the conference title, you are kidding yourself if you don't think Penn (and in the future elkhart) will win or at least challenge for majority of the sports in the conference. 

I would love for NP to be an NLC member, a lot of comparable schools both in size and community based. But NP is just too far especially with Wawasee and Warsaw.