Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Officials in the Field of Play

DE

Question

6 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

Because that’s he way the SEC used to do it. They were the last conference to sign on to the national mechanics.

Thank you Bob.  I appreciate your response.  Does anyone know why the officials were on the field of play?  

41 minutes ago, DE said:

Thank you Bob.  I appreciate your response.  Does anyone know why the officials were on the field of play?  

Why would they be off the field? It just took time as the game grew from 3 yards and a cloud a dust to what we see today. Mechanics changed and they realized if you are off the field and not moving as much it made it better to officiate. I’ve seen video of Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker jumping over the wing because the ran out in the way and fell down 

7 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

Why would they be off the field? It just took time as the game grew from 3 yards and a cloud a dust to what we see today. Mechanics changed and they realized if you are off the field and not moving as much it made it better to officiate. I’ve seen video of Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker jumping over the wing because the ran out in the way and fell down 

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I used to watch old SWC games on ESPEN Classic, wings lined up about five yards outside the TE’s here comes the option and they’re running for their lives, backs turned and running. It never made any sense to me. 

😂 

So I guess the “best” answer provided is Bc FB used to be 3 yards and a cold of dust. 

• Haha 1