Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fort Wayne North Side Coach Mike Brevard headed to St. Francis

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Absolutely. You're talking about a high school of 15,247 kids. That's basically what all of Fort Wayne equates to. With a half way decent coaching staff, they would win every single year. With a good coaching staff they win with a running clock. Fort Wayne produces it's fair share of athletes:

24 NFL players since 1980. Indianapolis has produced 2.7 times that of Fort Wayne, but the city of Indy is also 3.4 times larger. So per capita, Fort Wayne holds a slight edge. Point being...........both cities produce quality NFL players. 

Fort Wayne put a team together in 2016 that won the National IMG 7 on 7. That was against teams from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and others. They finished 3rd in 2013. I'm not sure they ever finished outside the top 15 out of 50+ teams. Again, lots of talent in this little city of 300,000. 

I guess if I had to start with a roster I would start with two offensive linemen. Vinny Fiacable (Indiana commit) and DE Moore (offers from Texas A&M, Ohio State, Indiana, Penn State, and many more). I really don't have time to put together an entire roster and I shouldn't have too. The chances of of an Indy high school beating an All Star team from Fort Wayne is about the same as someone's suggestion that Center Grove could beat a Division III/NAIA team.................which is basically slim to none. 

Fair points and I don’t necessarily think you are wrong but I’m just skeptical of the “mercy rule” that you are implying...that’s all.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Fair points and I don’t necessarily think you are wrong but I’m just skeptical of the “mercy rule” that you are implying...that’s all.

It's a matter of opinion. Who know if the mercy rule would come into play or not. The top Indy teams are damn good (some of the best in the country apparently). Just not good enough to compete with a school of 15,247 kids. 

34 minutes ago, BTF said:

It's a matter of opinion. Who know if the mercy rule would come into play or not. The top Indy teams are damn good (some of the best in the country apparently). Just not good enough to compete with a school of 15,247 kids. 

I hear ya.  But as someone pointed out in another thread, enrollment eventually hits a plateau and has a point of diminishing returns.  You can only put 11 out there at a time.

(Example:  CG (school of 2700) beat Carmel (school of 5200) by 42 points...)

How many FW/SAC kids are we talking that currently have D1 offers off the top of your head?

Edited by temptation

Ft. Wayne "all-star team" vs. Indy "all-star team".  Who wins?

Maybe I missed it, but why are you guys talking about 1 metro area "all-star team" (Ft. Wayne) competing against 1 metro area single high school (Indy area)?

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

I hear ya.  But as someone pointed out in another thread, enrollment eventually hits a plateau and has a point of diminishing returns.  You can only put 11 out there at a time.

(Example:  CG (school of 2700) beat Carmel (school of 5200) by 42 points...)

How many FW/SAC kids are we talking that currently have D1 offers off the top of your head?

Five or six, but I have even begun to dig deep.

As far as enrollment goes, I feel that part of a coaches responsibility is to get kids at the school to buy into the program. Carmel is twice as likely as Center Grove to find a D1 quarterback roaming the halls. Exactly the same for every other position. The chances of everything is two times. Carmel wins the state championship every year in swimming, it shouldn't be any different in football.

9 minutes ago, DE said:

Maybe I missed it, but why are you guys talking about 1 metro area "all-star team" (Ft. Wayne) competing against 1 metro area single high school (Indy area)?

You'd have to re-read through the whole thread. I don't remember how it got started. An Indy all star team beats a Fort Wayne all star team 80% of the time. It's a numbers game.

34 minutes ago, DE said:

It’s just intriguing to me.  There is no debate what the strongest region is so that is a boring conversation.

Thought this would spice things up.

Edited by temptation

28 minutes ago, BTF said:

Five or six, but I have even begun to dig deep.

As far as enrollment goes, I feel that part of a coaches responsibility is to get kids at the school to buy into the program. Carmel is twice as likely as Center Grove to find a D1 quarterback roaming the halls. Exactly the same for every other position. The chances of everything is two times. Carmel wins the state championship every year in swimming, it shouldn't be any different in football.

Well, there is one program in Indy that also has 5 or 6.  But to your point, it’d be players 7-30 who decided the game due to the sheer numbers advantage.

I too, thought the same about Carmel.  Until I turned on the regional game against BD and saw that they had a converted WR thrown in at QB.  

I think that is where the diminishing returns argument comes in.  Maybe there really isn’t an advantage once you get above 2500 students?

Swimming is considered an individual sport by the IHSAA and is a whole different ball game.  The accumulation of points comes from scoring in multiple events...which you can have one swimmer who doubles or triples back.

I have always been intrigued by the amount of junior varsity swimmers at Carmel that go on to swim at the next level.  Same with cross country.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Well, there is one program in Indy that also has 5 or 6.  But to your point, it’d be players 7-30 who decided the game due to the sheer numbers advantage.

I too, thought the same about Carmel.  Until I turned on the regional game against BD and saw that they had a converted WR thrown in at QB.  

I think that is where the diminishing returns argument comes in.  Maybe there really isn’t an advantage once you get above 2500 students?

Schools ranked 1,2,4,5 & 6 have won 20 of the last 25 state championships. All of those schools are north of 3400 students. Half of those 20 coming from schools ranked 1 & 2. Coincidence? I don't think so. Either enrollment plays a HUGE factor or kids born in those school districts are just naturally better football players. I'm going with the former. 

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

Schools ranked 1,2,4,5 & 6 have won 20 of the last 25 state championships. All of those schools are north of 3400 students. Half of those 20 coming from schools ranked 1 & 2. Coincidence? I don't think so. Either enrollment plays a HUGE factor or kids born in those school districts are just naturally better football players. I'm going with the former. 

But why has the school with 5200 not dominated everyone annually?

There’s a pretty big enrollment drop off after 1-2.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

But why has the school with 5200 not dominated everyone annually?

There’s a pretty big enrollment drop off after 1-2.

Because there is a heck of a lot of talent roaming the halls of Ben Davis and Warren Central..............both pretty big schools themselves.