Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NCAA Top 10 - Last 5 years

BTF

Points given for qualification of College Football Playoff and where teams stood in the final AP Poll.  Any surprises or head scratchers? I was surprised Michigan came in at #12.............two Top 10 finishes in the last 5 years. 

1.     Clemson     125

2.     Alabama     113

3.     Ohio State     100

4.     Oklahoma     94

5.     Georgia     68

6.     Notre Dame     55

7.     Penn State    47 

8.     Washington     43

9.     LSU     42

Wisconsin     42

Next up: Florida, Michigan & Auburn

Best of the rest: Texas A&M

Consideration: Oregon & Baylor

Surprised that Texas A & M, with the investment they have made in that program, has not fared better. They are not going to be patient much longer, regardless of the fact that they’re in the same SEC division as Bama and LSU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Surprised that Texas A & M, with the investment they have made in that program, has not fared better. They are not going to be patient much longer, regardless of the fact that they’re in the same SEC division as Bama and LSU.

They no longer have 2-3 Big XII gimmes on the schedule annually.  The SEC is big boy football...they are 6th in the SEC which is still top 15 in America.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Points given for qualification of College Football Playoff and where teams stood in the final AP Poll.  Any surprises or head scratchers? I was surprised Michigan came in at #12.............two Top 10 finishes in the last 5 years. 

1.     Clemson     125

2.     Alabama     113

3.     Ohio State     100

4.     Oklahoma     94

5.     Georgia     68

6.     Notre Dame     55

7.     Penn State    47 

8.     Washington     43

9.     LSU     42

Wisconsin     42

Next up: Florida, Michigan & Auburn

Best of the rest: Texas A&M

Consideration: Oregon & Baylor

Surprised that Wisconsin continues to do more with less than any other program in America.  I keep awaiting their demise and it simply never happens.

Edited by temptation
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

They no longer have 2-3 Big XII gimmes on the schedule annually.  The SEC is big boy football...they are 6th in the SEC which is still top 15 in America.

With what they’re paying Jimbo ($7.5 million/yr. - 5th in NCAA), plus the recruiting classes they’ve had and the investment in facilities, A&M should crack the top 5 every year.

32 minutes ago, temptation said:

Surprised that Wisconsin continues to do more with less than any other program in America.  I keep awaiting their demise and it simply never happens.

Wisconsin is a machine. I agree with the "more with less" comment. Northwestern's done a pretty good job of that as well. 

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

With what they’re paying Jimbo ($7.5 million/yr. - 5th in NCAA), plus the recruiting classes they’ve had and the investment in facilities, A&M should crack the top 5 every year.

Two mediocre years before last. Was last year's 9-1 record a sign of what's in store for the future? I wouldn't bet against it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Maybe, just maybe, Jimbo isn't a $7.5 million/yr. coach.

Never have been impressed with him at all.

55 minutes ago, Bobref said:

LOL, you answered your own question earlier.  When you are in a division with LSU/Bama losing those two annually puts you out of contention for “top 5” in most cases.

41 minutes ago, BTF said:

Wisconsin is a machine. I agree with the "more with less" comment. Northwestern's done a pretty good job of that as well. 

Two mediocre years before last. Was last year's 9-1 record a sign of what's in store for the future? I wouldn't bet against it. 

I will add one caveat to my Wisconsin statement.  Being in the Big Ten West has also helped them in terms of being in the conversation at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

LOL, you answered your own question earlier.  When you are in a division with LSU/Bama losing those two annually puts you out of contention for “top 5” in most cases.

My point is that with the resources they’ve devoted to football, they should be standing toe-to-toe with anyone.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Wisconsin is a lot like Center Grove in some ways.  Wisconsin does not have the talent of OSU, CLEM and AL, but they have a system that they run that is difficult to defend and their execution is flawless.

CG is the same.  They do not have the same overall talent level of a BD or a WC, but they run a unique system to perfection and overcome the physical disadvantages.

NW succes has depended more on luck.  They have taken advantage of the Big Ten in down years.  And God likes the Wildcats, kind of the way that he likes Roncalli and Chatard

Edited by DT

27 minutes ago, DT said:

CG is the same.  They do not have the same overall talent level of a BD or a WC, but they run a unique system to perfection and overcome the physical disadvantages.

This was almost certainly true … up until 3-4 yrs. ago. CG has now gotten to the point where they don’t rebuild, they reload.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

My point is that with the resources they’ve devoted to football, they should be standing toe-to-toe with anyone.

They are, except Bama, Clemson and O$U.

Are Alabama, Clemson and O$U using the ole "The U" blueprint?

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This was almost certainly true … up until 3-4 yrs. ago. CG has now gotten to the point where they don’t rebuild, they reload.

They have a different type of talent.  

Simply put, CG has football players.  WC and BD have athletes.  

There is a difference.

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Again, that’s exactly my point. With their investment, there shouldn’t be any “except.”

Maybe you didn't read this post of mine, "Maybe, just maybe, Jimbo isn't a $7.5 million/yr. coach."

11 minutes ago, DT said:

They have a different type of talent.  

Simply put, CG has football players.  WC and BD have athletes.  

There is a difference.

And imagine how good you become when those "athletes" become "football players".

1 hour ago, DT said:

Wisconsin is a lot like Center Grove in some ways.  Wisconsin does not have the talent of OSU, CLEM and AL, but they have a system that they run that is difficult to defend and their execution is flawless.

NW succes has depended more on luck.  They have taken advantage of the Big Ten in down years.  And God likes the Wildcats, kind of the way that he likes Roncalli and Chatard

I agree with your comparison of Wisconsin to Center Grove. But I think Northwestern deserves a little more credit. They've done pretty well against outside competition including going 4-0 over the past four years in bowls games. The wasting of Auburn last year was never in doubt from the beginning. 

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

I agree with your comparison of Wisconsin to Center Grove. But I think Northwestern deserves a little more credit. They've done pretty well against outside competition including going 4-0 over the past four years in bowls games. The wasting of Auburn last year was never in doubt from the beginning. 

Auburn only shows up when there is something very big on the line

Georgia/Iron Bowl/SEC Championship Game/Playoff Game

They tend to underperform when the stakes are low  A meaningless bowl game against the Wildcats does not get their dander up.

14 minutes ago, BTF said:

Bowl games are not a good metric in my opinion, especially non playoff/NY6 bowl games.

They've become exhibitions in which many teams are disinterested.

Northwestern has punched above their weight most years under Fitz and I’m honestly amazed he hasn’t left for a better gig.

Just now, temptation said:

Bowl games are not a good metric in my opinion, especially non playoff/NY6 bowl games.

They've become exhibitions in which many teams are disinterested.

I was in the process of quoting DT when you wrote this. I get your point, and what DT said was valid. I made that claim on Homestead's behalf when they barely got by Noblesville (not that I want to engage on that topic for the next 24 hours).  But here's a question for both you and DT. What was different about Auburn in 2018 when they wasted the Boliermakers 63-14? I mean, they were pretty jacked up for that game! 

In defense (no pun intended) of Northwestern. Defense wins championships. Last year they had the highest defensive rating among Power Five schools. Only Georgia and Alabama held Auburn to less points than Northwestern did. The wildcats aren't fancy, they sure as heck weren't last year. But they sure as heck got the job done. The 17-7 win over Wisconsin was impressive. And the 22-10 loss to the Buckeyes wasn't exactly embarrassing.  I stand firm that they beat Auburn last year because they were plain and simply the better team. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I was in the process of quoting DT when you wrote this. I get your point, and what DT said was valid. I made that claim on Homestead's behalf when they barely got by Noblesville (not that I want to engage on that topic for the next 24 hours).  But here's a question for both you and DT. What was different about Auburn in 2018 when they wasted the Boliermakers 63-14? I mean, they were pretty jacked up for that game! 

In defense (no pun intended) of Northwestern. Defense wins championships. Last year they had the highest defensive rating among Power Five schools. Only Georgia and Alabama held Auburn to less points than Northwestern did. The wildcats aren't fancy, they sure as heck weren't last year. But they sure as heck got the job done. The 17-7 win over Wisconsin was impressive. And the 22-10 loss to the Buckeyes wasn't exactly embarrassing.  I stand firm that they beat Auburn last year because they were plain and simply the better team. 

On paper, Auburn is a Top 10-15 Talent Composite Program.  Northwestern ranks around 45-50.

The two programs are light years apart on paper and Auburn simply did what it was supposed to do against a vastly outmanned PU team.  

In 2018, Auburn had 44 Four Star athletes.  Purdue had 4.  WOW.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Edited by DT

8 minutes ago, DT said:

On paper, Auburn is a Top 10-15 Talent Composite Program.  Northwestern ranks around 45-50.

The two programs are light years apart on paper and Auburn simply did what it was supposed to do against a vastly outmanned PU team.  

I agree on this one and “defense wins championships” is the most outdated sports idiom still making the rounds.

You need to score 35+ to win in most modern day football contests at the college level and need a competent defense that can get occasional stops and hold teams to 3 in the red zone.

Edited by temptation

5 minutes ago, DT said:

I wouldn't bet against a group of smart hard nosed kids. Athleticism only gets you so far.  Northwestern wins that game 7 times out of 10 in my opinion. That gap between the SEC and Big Ten is slim.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

“defense wins championships” is the most outdated sports idiom still making the rounds.

I'll take a great defense with an average offense over a great offense with an average defense any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I couldn't disagree more on this one. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I wouldn't bet against a group of smart hard nosed kids. Athleticism only gets you so far.  Northwestern wins that game 7 times out of 10 in my opinion. That gap between the SEC and Big Ten is slim.

788FA5E2-E56E-4A61-8933-9938944E3228.gif

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'll take a great defense with an average offense over a great offense with an average defense any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I couldn't disagree more on this one. 

Welcome to 8-4...the average points per game of the CFP champion since the inception of the playoff is just over 40 per game.

I was being conservative with 35 I guess.

Edited by temptation

36 minutes ago, temptation said:

788FA5E2-E56E-4A61-8933-9938944E3228.gif

Welcome to 8-4...the average points per game of the CFP champion since the inception of the playoff is just over 40 per game.

I was being conservative with 35 I guess.

Damn Temp, you stumped me. Struggling a little bit here on the "defense wins championships" since only in 2018 was that the case since the inception of the playoff. But defense was the reason Northwestern had a pretty good team last year.