Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  48 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Cuomo Resigns

Bobref

Seriously, if you are a big fan of irony like me, you’ve got to love this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/10/cuomo-resigns-as-governor-of-new-york-over-sexual-harassment-scandal.html

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo resigns over sexual harassment scandal, will leave office in 2 weeks

PUBLISHED TUE, AUG 10 202112:08 PM EDTUPDATED 27 MIN AGO

Dan Mangan@_DANMANGAN

KEY POINTS

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday he will resign in two weeks because of a sexual harassment scandal that has crippled his administration.

Cuomo’s shock announcement came after his lawyer again flatly denied claims that he had sexually harassed anyone during the Democrat’s three terms in office.

Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul will replace Cuomo, becoming the Empire State’s first female governor.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday he will resign effective in two weeks because of a sexual harassment scandal that has crippled his administration, saying he did not want to distract the state from important work to be done.

Cuomo’s shock announcement in a live stream from his Manhattan office came minutes after his lawyer during her own statement to reporters again flatly denied claims that he had sexually harassed anyone during the Democrat’s three terms in office.

Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul will replace Cuomo, and become the Empire State’s first female governor.

Cuomo’s resignation comes a week after a damning report issued by the state Attorney General’s office found he had sexually harassed current and former staffers, along with a state police trooper assigned to his protective detail, and women outside of government.

It also comes as at least five district attorney’s offices in counties around the state are investigating possible crimes by Cuomo against some of the women, or have requested evidence from the AG’s report.

Cuomo, 63, said he was motivated to step down to avoid months of distraction for the state, which is continuing to deal with the Covid pandemic, from an all-but-certain impeachment of him over allegations he sexually harassed at least 11 women.

“Given the circumstances, the best way I can help now is if I step aside and let government get back to government,” Cuomo said. 

“And therefore that is what I’ll do, because I work for you, and doing the right thing, is doing the right thing for you.”

While continuing to deny some of the more serious claims against him, Cuomo conceded he had offended some of his accusers with what he considered friendly or incidental physical contact and comments that were normal for men of his generation.

“In my mind, I have never crossed the line with anyone,” he said. “But I didn’t realize the extent to which the line has been redrawn.”

“Thank you for letting me serve you. It has been the honor of a lifetime,” Cuomo said.

“God bless you.”

Hochul, a Buffalo Democrat who will turn 63 this month, in a tweet, said “I agree with Governor Cuomo’s decision to step down. It is the right thing to do and in the best interest of New Yorkers.”

“As someone who has served at all levels of government and is next in the line of succession, I am prepared to lead as New York State’s 57th Governor,” Hochul wrote.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said President Joe Bidenhas not talked to Hochul yet, but noted, “We look forward to working with her.”

Attorney General Letitia James, herself a Democrat, last week said that Cuomo had broken state and federal laws with his conduct, which she asserted included unwanted touching and remarks that made the women feel uncomfortable.

In a CBS News interview that aired Monday, Cuomo executive assistant Brittany Commisso described how the governor had groped her breast in one incident, and then rubbed her rear end during another encounter in the Executive Mansion in Albany after he suggested they take a selfie photo together.

“What he did to me was a crime. He broke the law,” Commisso said.

James, in a statement Tuesday after Cuomo announced his resignation, said, “Today closes a sad chapter for all of New York, but it’s an important step towards justice.”

“I thank Governor Cuomo for his contributions to our state. The ascension of our Lieutenant Governor, Kathy Hochul, will help New York enter a new day,” James said. “We must continue to build on the progress already made and improve the lives of New Yorkers in every corner of the state. I know our state is in good hands with Lieutenant Governor Hochul at the helm, and I look forward to continuing to work with her.”

Cuomo’s decision to quit follows calls for his resignation from a wave of fellow Democrats, including Biden and members of the state’s congressional delegation — among them, Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand — and members of New York’s legislature.

On Sunday, Cuomo’s top aide, Melissa DeRosa, who had been accused in the AG’s report of being a key figure in an effort to smear one of the governor’s most prominent accusers, resigned.

(IMHO) He saw the writing on the wall (in all capital letters)  It's a distraction from "Granny-Gate" and the Dem's efforts to keep him out of the picture for when KH runs in 2024 (since she will already be President by then) If he doesn't go now for being a creep, he'll go later for killing Granny......

232827819_416363796498420_1623694986750895994_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=0vj4rXKRsY4AX9lRQcx&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a89dfb9ad9c945fd30e7e31333e87feb&oe=61367405