Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Pal headed back to 4A?

9 hours ago, temptation said:

Speaking of New Pal, I saw somewhere that Mount Vernon had some players participate in some rude behavior the other night after scoring.  Can anyone in the know elaborate?

Was some stomping on the Dragons logo at midfield while the team was in post game speech.  They smoked us.  If you don't want that to happen, play better, in my opinion.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2021 at 9:23 AM, Olympian06 said:

Nope, this is year 1 of the 2 year cycle… so they would have to not garner enough points next year as well. 

This is actually Year 3 of the cycle - it was extended last year due to COVID screwing up enrollments but the SF points were applied and will be applied again this fall when the realignment takes place (unless the IHSAA punts another year). 

As I understand it, if New Palestine does not win the regional, they go back to 4A next year. 

On 8/28/2021 at 9:12 PM, Lysander said:

I’d differ a bit with your phrase “a few great classes”.  Prior to this year, New Pal had lost only 6 games in 8 years, won 4 Semi-States (played in 5) and 3 State Championships.  When they did lose last year to Whiteland in Sectional and Columbus East in Semi-State in 2013 (maybe ‘14), they lost to two teams that were Top 10 Teams All Classes by most any quantitative measure.

I might not differ with your underlying point but I wouldn’t consider New Pal the classic example.  They’ve quite literally been on a decade long run that, for the most part, is almost unmatched.  

Teams are going to go through rebuilding cycles. Those who follow the program expected last year and this year might be one of them with the Class of 2020 graduating and a really small senior class this year (and there was some regression last year with a lot of new players and an unreal amount of injuries and they went 8-2), but NP has more than held its own in 5A (2 state titles and a state runner-up in six years), to the point where they've achieved the points necessary to stay up three times. Coach Ralph has lost nine games at NP and every one except the 2017 sectional loss to Zionsville has been to a ranked team (and Zionsville is always underrated because they play in a 6A conference). Nobody feels like these players are being "punished" because of the success of teams that came before. The attitude here has been "we've earned the right to play in 5A. It's a bigger challenge. It's going to make you be better. Embrace it." 

If NP goes back to 4A next year, it will be interesting to see some new (and familiar) teams again, but it'll also be weird because we've gotten used to the October and November path being games against Zionsville, Columbus East and Whiteland. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2021 at 6:35 PM, CaptainHook said:

still some bitterness from those two games, huh?  Spegal dressed and got a carry yesterday.

No bitterness here. Just kids playing football.  He’s just not going to be a as good in college as your son or a few other recent Indiana players.  Sometimes people are quick to over hype.  This does explain IU’s current talent level.

2 hours ago, JHgwood said:

No bitterness here. Just kids playing football.  He’s just not going to be a as good in college as your son or a few other recent Indiana players.  Sometimes people are quick to over hype.  This does explain IU’s current talent level.

I think Charlie could be really good when/if he finds the right situation.

The game Friday has major Success Factor implications. If Cathedral wins, they move to 6A in 2022. If NP wins (unlikely) the Dragons would stay in 5A in 2022. Otherwise they move to 4A.