Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Championships 2022 Discussion and Updates: Classes 2A/4A/6A, 1A/3A/5A

1 hour ago, gindie said:

Bob, could you give us a little bio/history on the crew for the game you observed?  And to the extent you are allowed, your thoughts on their work today?  Watching the stream, I thought they generally did a good job.

This crew has 4 officials who have worked state finals before, including the Referee. They are from Central Indiana. I thought they got all the big calls right. They picked up (disregarded) two flags, both as a result of excellent crew communication and teamwork, a real sign of a good crew. They had some really excellent calls and no-calls. There were a few minor things that could be tweaked, but this was clearly a state finals worthy crew, who had a fine game. After I met with the crew following the game, Asst. commissioner Faulkens asked me “How did they do?” My response was “Officiating had zero impact on the game.” He said, “that’s what we like.”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

This crew has 4 officials who have worked state finals before, including the Referee. They are from Central Indiana. I thought they got all the big calls right. They picked up (disregarded) two flags, both as a result of excellent crew communication and teamwork, a real sign of a good crew. They had some really excellent calls and no-calls. There were a few minor things that could be tweaked, but this was clearly a state finals worthy crew, who had a fine game. After I met with the crew following the game, Asst. commissioner Faulkens asked me “How did they do?” My response was “Officiating had zero impact on the game.” He said, “that’s what we like.”

Can you give any insight on the unsportsmanlike penalty in Bowen in the second half? 
The referee said “defenseless player” and yet the ball had just been tipped. Hard to believe Bowen going at full speed would have been able to hold up at that point. I do think he hit him helmet to helmet, and that the flag was warranted. I just don’t know if helmet to helmet is the same thing as a defenseless player. Can you clarify?

19 minutes ago, Ratball said:

Can you give any insight on the unsportsmanlike penalty in Bowen in the second half? 
The referee said “defenseless player” and yet the ball had just been tipped. Hard to believe Bowen going at full speed would have been able to hold up at that point. I do think he hit him helmet to helmet, and that the flag was warranted. I just don’t know if helmet to helmet is the same thing as a defenseless player. Can you clarify?

It was not an unsportsmanlike foul. It was a personal foul for targeting, helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless player. By rule, a defenseless player is one “who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury.” The pass receiver here qualifies. The onus is on the player initiating contact with a defenseless player to avoid illegal contact. “Targeting is an act by any player who takes aim and initiates contact against an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders.” So, this would have been a foul even if the receiver had caught the ball.

Edited by Bobref

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

It was not an unsportsmanlike foul. It was a personal foul for targeting, helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless player. By rule, a defenseless player is one “who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury.” The pass receiver here qualifies. The onus is on the player initiating contact with a defenseless player to avoid illegal contact. “Targeting is an act by any player who takes aim and initiates contact against an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders.” So, this would have been a foul even if the receiver had caught the ball.

Why the personal foul waved off later in the game after a pass was ruled tipped? Couldn't there still be a personal foul for helmet to helmet contact or targeting after a tipped ball? I thought tipped balls only affect interference. 

18 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Why the personal foul waved off later in the game after a pass was ruled tipped? Couldn't there still be a personal foul for helmet to helmet contact or targeting after a tipped ball? I thought tipped balls only affect interference. 

Yes, the flag was for defensive pass interference. The back judge did not know the ball was tipped and he threw the flag for early contact. After communication from the official who saw the pass tipped, they waved off the DPI. This was a very well officiated play.

You’re correct. You can still have a personal foul when the pass is touched.

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Yes, the flag was for defensive pass interference. The back judge did not know the ball was tipped and he threw the flag for early contact. After communication from the official who saw the pass tipped, they waved off the DPI. This was a very well officiated play.

You’re correct. You can still have a personal foul when the pass is touched.

Ahh, I see. I thought the flag was for a PF. Makes sense.