Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Summer Rules

I was just wondering the other day, is Football still the only IHSAA sanctioned sport that has summer rules?  12 summer practices with up to 5 of those being competitions.  Does basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, track, cross country, swimming, gymnastics, tennis and golf have these types of restrictions in the summer?  I could have sworn that our IHSAA Assistant Commissioner spoke at the IFCA coaches clinic and said that they were going to force those sports to set summer limits, since football was the only ones that did set limits.

43 minutes ago, Julio said:

I was just wondering the other day, is Football still the only IHSAA sanctioned sport that has summer rules?  12 summer practices with up to 5 of those being competitions.  Does basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, track, cross country, swimming, gymnastics, tennis and golf have these types of restrictions in the summer?  I could have sworn that our IHSAA Assistant Commissioner spoke at the IFCA coaches clinic and said that they were going to force those sports to set summer limits, since football was the only ones that did set limits.

Terms used are im[portant per the IHSAA Bylaws. To clarify, the 12 practice limit is for use of helmets and shoulder pads, known as competition days, (As you said, 5 of those involving teams competing against each other)Every sport has a limit on the number of competition days they can have. Football is unique because of the helmets and shoulder pads and the contact. 
That said, football CAN have additional days to work as long as they are not in helmets and shoulder pads. 

15-2.6 Competition Days
a. all sports teams, with the exception of football, may participate in up to Ten (10)
Competition Days (a day when a School’s coaching staff takes Two (2) or more players
from a School’s team to either participate with or compete against One (1) or more
players from another member School or Non-School Team). See rule 15-2.7 regarding
football.
b. Prior to the first day of Summer, a School’s coaching staff must designate to the
School’s principal or athletic director the specific Competition Days in which the School’s
team plans to participate.

15-2.7 Football
A School, and players from the School’s football program, may participate in Football
Activities (participation in any football related activities while wearing helmets or shoulder
pads) under the following standards:
 a. Students may not participate in any Full Contact Football Activities (any intentional football
activity by a player where the goal is to take One (1) or more competing players to the
ground as the result of a collision) during the Summer.
 b. Schools may sponsor up to Twelve (12) Football Activity Days (a day when a School’s
football coaching staff coaches Two (2) or more players from the School’s football team
engaged in Football Activities) during the Summer.
 c. A School’s Football Activity Days may include up to Five (5) Football Competition Days (a
day when a School’s football coaching staff takes Two (2) or more players from a School’s
football team to either participate with or compete against One (1) or more players from
another School or Non-School Team). The maximum time for a School’s Football Activity
Day held at a member-School facility will be Three and one-half (3 1/2) hours of activity
over a Five (5) hour period.
 d. A student’s football equipment during Summer Football Activities is limited to a helmet,
shoes, shoulder pads, a girdle and a mouth piece.
e. A student may engage in no more than One (1) session of Football Activities during a
Football Activity Day and the maximum time of the session is Two (2) hours.
 f. Prior to the first day of Summer, a School’s football coaching staff must designate to the
School’s principal or athletic director the specific Football Activity Days and the Football
Competition Days in which the football program plans to participate.

https://www.ihsaa.org/sites/default/files/documents/2023-24 By-Laws.pdf (Pages 69 & 70)

Football = 12 Activity days (pro pads) and 5 Competition Days (vs other schools)

Other team sports = 10 Competition days

[my commentary] 10 competition days, but feel free to play 3 or 4 basketball games per day.  Really good idea to play 8-9 basketball games over a 2 days span.  Only counts as 2.  

My son played tennis and they would have open courts throughout the summer but followed the same moratorium weeks. I've also known swimmers who did club swimming over the summer, but the high school coach couldn't be involved in any practices or meets during the moratorium weeks.

One area school bragged that they played 50 basketball games May-June! 

Irishman is wrong. It is 12 days for football in the summer with 5 being competitive.  Helmet and shoulder pads may be worn on those 12 days or not, but both count towards your days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DAC Life said:

Can someone explain to me the 2nd Moratorium week practice rules? Specifically, are any team practices/scrimmages involving team play with coaches allowed this week?

Some schools/ school corporations will mandate a week off this week, especially if they start classes the first week of August. 

Coaches might also give the week off so that the players are fresh come day 1 of practice 

• Like 1