Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

40-25 Second Play Clock

Panther25

Question

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Panther25 said:

Could someone tell me if this is accurate? I am unable to find anything directly on the IHSAA's website and I currently can't get on the NFHS site (I am sure it is my error) 

Thanks in advance!

4025playclock.pdf 192.39 kB · 5 downloads

At quick glance this looks accurate. One thing Indiana does differently from a mechanical standpoint is in regards to the dead ball signal (arm raised over their head). If the covering official signals to stop the clock for a first down in bounds or any runner out of bounds or if they signal incomplete, they also need to give the dead ball signal. The IHSAA doesn't think play clock operators are able to know to se the clock to 40 and start it without that signal. I ask the play clock operator every week if they know what to do without that signal and every one has said yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Panther25 said:

Could someone tell me if this is accurate? I am unable to find anything directly on the IHSAA's website and I currently can't get on the NFHS site (I am sure it is my error) 

Thanks in advance!

4025playclock.pdf 192.39 kB · 1 download

You’re not the only one having issues with NFHS website and app. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 3:12 PM, JustRules said:

At quick glance this looks accurate. One thing Indiana does differently from a mechanical standpoint is in regards to the dead ball signal (arm raised over their head). If the covering official signals to stop the clock for a first down in bounds or any runner out of bounds or if they signal incomplete, they also need to give the dead ball signal. The IHSAA doesn't think play clock operators are able to know to se the clock to 40 and start it without that signal. I ask the play clock operator every week if they know what to do without that signal and every one has said yes.

One note.  For accepted penalties against the defense, the play clock should be set to 40 seconds.  Accepted penaties on the offense, play clock should be set to 25.
Everything else in the PDF looks good.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snrmike said:

One note.  For accepted penalties against the defense, the play clock should be set to 40 seconds.  Accepted penaties on the offense, play clock should be set to 25.
Everything else in the PDF looks good.

That was a change after the original rule so it's possible the document is outdated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1